The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

biglouis

Michiel, your landscapes have always been good but I think you have really excelled yourself with these two. Lovely composition and amazing definition.

LouisB

W.Utsch

The village of Gandria, Lake Lugano, Switzerland
from the boat:

DP2M2001-130705.jpg by W.Utsch, on Flickr​

The Lake, view to the Italian part (Valsolda)

DP2M2003-130705.jpg by W.Utsch, on Flickr​

The Lake, view to Lugano and Monte San Salvatore:

DP2M2002-130705.jpg by W.Utsch, on Flickr​

Just a snap (yes, you can use a Merril for snaps): Steve Winwood behind his old Hammond (i love the sound commig out of this antique organ), soundcheck on the Piazza Riforma, Lugano Jazzfestival "Estival":

DP2M1991-130704.jpg by W.Utsch, on Flickr​

Michiel Schierbeek

Going through my files I noticed a new theme in my photo's I wasn't aware off.
I seem to photograph a lot of empty streets.

So here's one of them.

phips243

Hi there, after following this thread for some time, I think, it's time to contribute a bit myself. I have been using the DP2 Merrill since the beginning of March 2013 (and in the meanwhile bought the DP1 Merrill as well). I'm still experimenting to get the best out of the camera...especially color wise. So why not start with some oddity, I came accross lately...

I took the following picture in Vienna, last weekend (I'm not from Vienna but actually from the other end of Austria). Anyhow: The obvious "artificial look" of the image wasn't obtained in post processing (it was increased though) but in fact came out of the camera this way. I never experienced that before. The only thing that sets this picture apart from those I made before, is that - as far as I can remeber - I never before had unobstructed bright sunlight coming from a 90 degree angle (from the right, as you can see in the shadows). Oh, I almost forgot... the only other thing being different, was that I used ISO 200 for the first time. I didn't use a polarizer, just a B&W Nano MRC Clear
Filter. The image was shot at f5.6, 1/640, ISO 200, +0.7 EV, Neutral (color mode) and AWB in aperture priority. (Here is the fullsize version: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/51496046/SDIM0354.jpg)

W.Utsch

Hi Phips243,

for me the picture doe not look to "artificial".

It has very high micro contrast and sharpness and DOF from front to background.

You could control these parameters so the image would look a little "softer" or natural, more in a way we are used to see images of that kind.
Make a test and print it, i am quite sure it will look great printed.

Greetings to Austria
Werner

biglouis

Bottom Road, Radnage, Buckinghamshire - a typical English lane.

I was kinda curious about the car which crept into the frame...

... a classic Merc coupe. Gotta love the IQ and detail of the DP2M.

phips243

Thanks Werner and Kyndel. It's not that I wouldn't like the picture and everybody I showed it to so far, liked it as well. I was just curious how that look came about, since I never got that out of camera with the DP2M before...You are right about the printing. I already tried it before I posted here... ;-)

retow

Some DP2M shots that are strictly for the birds.

Rush hour traffic on Anna Maria Island:

Brief Pelican

Dinner Flight:

Staring contest:

Hot Pursuit:

Man I love these cameras. Enjoy.
Great shots. But you are not supposed to do this. It`s a Sigma DPM after all, not meant for action, wildlife and anything which moves....:grin: