The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

The Ute

DP2M. Will the A7r which I picked up yesterday produce such files? I have some doubts.
So far the only camera this side of MF that can match or exceed the resolution of the DP2 is the Nikon 800E w. it's best glass attached.

The A7r has a chance to be the next one.

But I don't blame you for being skeptical.

The DP2 is an awesome camera if used properly.

The light weight and price also add to it's virtue.

Malina DZ

I'm surprised no one says anything about DP2M's bokeh rendering. That's where it'll lose to any full frame camera with a decent 50mm. I know it's APS-C and a slow f/2.8 lens but bokeh highlights show apparent onion-ring formation visible on 1200px wide images. The OOF transition is far from being smooth and OOF objects appear too contrasty with loud delineation.
It does make up for these shortcomings with what appears in focus though :)

Another Parrot

Kyndel

Now I have all three Merrills (not the SD1M).

What is best in my personal opinion ?

I will say: Sigma DP2 Merrill = This sharpness and clarity is unbeaten.

Very, very close come Sigma DP3 Merrill, and the colors are a bit better, I can use Vivid here, but it is too much with the others.

If I only went for the colors, then the DP3M was the best, but for me the sharpness and clarity is the most important thing, and here my DP2M still is the best, even it is only slightly.

Then comes DP1M, but it is only because it is not as sharp in the corners as the others, but NB: it is still not less sharp than all other wide A.-lenses in the corners, and it still has the sharpness and clarity mostly all over.

I love them all.

Tim

Needless to say a DP2M was one of the first items I purchased again.
Well, I am quite staggered. Its says something a lot about a camera if you re-buy the same one after having it stolen or lost. It says a lot about the DP2M to me.

It would be an interesting thread to ask if users would replace their lost camera with exactly the same. I suppose many would but not always, some may take the opportunity to move on to something else.

Sauza

A few pictures with the DP2M. After one year with it, I must say it has become my main camera for almost everything that doesn't move:D

I have both the DP2M and the DP3M and would replace both in a heartbeat. Is there something else that would give me the same or better image quality (in good light) short of medium format? The D800/D800E might squeak past (reviews would suggest), but I didn't like the handling at all. I'm not looking for a small camera, but short of MF, I want something that feels good in the hand. Asking too much? --Barbara

Quentin, I just got back to your post about the theft from your London flat. I am impressed and amazed at the police work. And I hope you are drawing some solace from the knowledge that the culprit isn't still out there doing this to others (and using your equipment!). I will add that I am inspired by the images you post, and find it interesting that many (most?) seem to be taken in close proximity to your work locations/appointments. --Barbara

gnuyork

Hello all. I have been lurking this thread for a while until I couldn't stand it any longer and had to order a DP2m. Thanks to your amazing photos, I now have one!!

I got very lucky and saved $200 on the price of the camera due to the Cyber Monday silliness - was actually a Tuesday when I ordered but they extended the deal. Was completely random that I decided to order that day - got lucky.

Anyhow, yesterday was the first non-rainy day since I received the camera and I went out and shot a few test pics to have some images to play with.
One thing I found slightly annoying was that my thumb kept hitting the button that switched the focus from AF to M. Guess I will have to hold the camera differently and break that habit. I admit, for some pics I was shooting one handed while my other hand was trying to stay warm in my pocket. That didn't help.

Anyhow here are a few of my first pics. I am duly impressed with the resolution and detail.

johnnygoesdigital

This section has the best photographs on this forum period. Excellent compositions, color, etc. I firmly believe that the Foveon sensor beats all digital camera technology, and when converting to B/W is as good as the Leica MM. I'm waiting for my DP2 too.

Malina DZ

Torture test for DP2M

Christmas tree is about 2.5m away. The camera couldn't lock focus on the tree in AF mode. I did three AF attempts; it stopped at ~0.7m every time though there was nothing between the camera and the tree that could cause this issue. The image attached is shot with a manual focus at MDF f/3.2, 0.5sec, iso100. If you are after a pleasant bokeh highlights rendering, DP2M is not the camera for the task.

View attachment 79073

STF therapy was required when I imported this shot in SPP.