The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

The Ute

Sigma better hit an absolute homerun w the new Quattro's and SD1.

Sony is rumored to be coming out w "Soveon" sensor.

A Sony version of the Foveon.

It will be a very high MP (50-ish) Bayer type 3-layered design.

darr

darr,

You have such a wonderful talent, i'm not surprised that you quote Georgia O'keeffe.

The Sigma's are such amazing little cameras with MFD quality, that the slower approach seems fitting.
Thank you so much! Yes, the 'Lil Sigmas are big in my book. They have brought me freedom in a much needed arena of my life. I used a tabletop tripod to make that shot as I thought getting down to the world of the weed flower was most appropriate. :)

Paul H

Here's a couple of shots of the flora of Heligan gardens (posted by adrewdecourcy) in their natural habitat. Were you to stumble across a dinosaur, it would not look out of place...

Both shot in the hills behind Eastbourne, Wellington.

soboyle

A few Easter morning photos along the Housatonic River in MA, from my newly acquired DP2 Merrill. All I can say is Wow. This little brick packs a punch.
A few questions regarding processing files. Highlight recovery - X3 fill light seems also to recover highlights, strange as that seems. My current workflow is to do a combination of reduce exposure and increase fill light until my red blotches are gone, or nearly gone. Then export tif to lightroom. Any other tricks to highlight recovery?

Kofronj

A few questions regarding processing files. Highlight recovery - X3 fill light seems also to recover highlights, strange as that seems. My current workflow is to do a combination of reduce exposure and increase fill light until my red blotches are gone, or nearly gone. Then export tif to lightroom. Any other tricks to highlight recovery?
Shaun,

Fill light is a one-slider version of tone mapping, and it's very good. Going positive brings the edges of the histogram to the center, although I will rarely go above 0.4 in the settings. I'm also much more familiar with the older Sigma cameras and how they behave then the Merrill (I got a DP3M a couple months ago)---and this chip does behave somewhat differently than the previous versions.

If you do any portraiture work, using a bit of negative fill light (-0.2 to -0.5) can do some nice things with skin (lessening texture).

Jim

soboyle

Thanks, it's tough to tell when a sky will blow out with this camera. The histogram doesn't seem to be very accurate, but if I follow it I'm dialing in huge under exposure to get the brights under control. Then it takes a lot of work in SPP to get it back to a recognizable scene. Look forward to a day when Lightroom supports X3F. Love the B&W from this camera.

darr

Thanks, it's tough to tell when a sky will blow out with this camera. The histogram doesn't seem to be very accurate, but if I follow it I'm dialing in huge under exposure to get the brights under control. Then it takes a lot of work in SPP to get it back to a recognizable scene. Look forward to a day when Lightroom supports X3F. Love the B&W from this camera.

I have learned to use Sigma Pro Photo (SPP) for converting to TIF files only, then complete post-processing in Lightroom (LR). I have a MAC machine and a WIN machine and find SPP is really buggy in MAC, but not as bad in WIN unless I get a converted TIF file that is broken. A broken file will crash SPP on my WIN machine every time, but after removing it, no more crashes. For me, SPP does not have as many controls or options as LR, but there are those that prefer it.