The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

Malina DZ

Mansion
No Leica MM + whatever APO lens can touch the level of detail of the shots above.
1920px wide is available for preview when clicked.

Quentin_Bargate

No Leica MM + whatever APO lens can touch the level of detail of the shots above.
I've not tried it, but I expect the new Leica monochrome is very good, but is it any better than a DP2M mono converted image? I doubt it, and the disparity in cost is extreme.

I would go so far as to say the DP2M is one of the finest mono cameras ever made. The Quattros are nearly as good, but with well know weaknesses.

Hulyss Bowman

That's true. I'm actually trying some fine and expensive camera systems but damn, the Merrill is far beyond in b&w. Only bokeh is a problem but for anything else it look the best b&w machine ever made (apart big films). I use a M9 actually with an utterly expensive 50 on it. It is good but not Merrill good (in B&W).

silver92b

I've not tried it, but I expect the new Leica monochrome is very good, but is it any better than a DP2M mono converted image? I doubt it, and the disparity in cost is extreme.

I would go so far as to say the DP2M is one of the finest mono cameras ever made. The Quattros are nearly as good, but with well know weaknesses.
That's true. I'm actually trying some fine and expensive camera systems but damn, the Merrill is far beyond in b&w. Only bokeh is a problem but for anything else it look the best b&w machine ever made (apart big films). I use a M9 actually with an utterly expensive 50 on it. It is good but not Merrill good (in B&W).
Both in B&W and color, the DP2 M renders beautiful images. The images in this page are phenomenal. I have also captured very good images with my DP2-M and they might rival the Leica MM. I haven't tried one yet, but I do shoot with a M240 and various Leica lenses. I'd say that the Leica makes beautiful images as long as the photographer is good. same as the DP2-M.

However, good as the DP2-M is for rendering colors and detail (including all this shades of grey), it is not IMHO, nearly as good as the Leica (and other cameras too), simply because is much more difficult to shoot with. Only if I shoot with my DP2-M almost exclusively, and often, I get lots of very bad pictures because it's so unforgiving. That's my only complaint about my DP2-M

Quentin_Bargate

I agree, but I wonder if the Rolex fits to the romantic look of the girl^^
Many thanks. To answer the question, probably not ;) but then again this was not set up as a portrait shot just a very casual shot that ended up a bit better than I had expected (well spotted by the way! I did try to lengthen the jumper sleever to cover it but ended up leaving as is).

Quentin_Bargate

Quentin, great set of very Merrill-like color shots! You are on fire :)
Appreciated :D . The second of the two shots really shows the benefit of the Merrill sensor. I have rezzed it up to 36x24 inches, and it retains excellent acutance and detail. I reckon that printed at that size, it would be indistinguishable from 4x5 film. The sensor just feeds off the detail.