The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

foveon

Many thanks. To answer the question, probably not ;) but then again this was not set up as a portrait shot just a very casual shot that ended up a bit better than I had expected (well spotted by the way! I did try to lengthen the jumper sleever to cover it but ended up leaving as is).
Thanks for the like
To see what others have done google for "ben hur rolex", the most famous example.
and ref. 24x36 prints from DP2m imagges, I have done some from very detailed pictures, eg. vineyard or graveyard, and I can go nearer and nearer to see more and more detail.
With this Merrills I became a "100%- view" junkie^^

Andrew Lamb

Hi Andrew

Many thanks.

A modest amount, mainly to crop more tightly, remove a couple of distractions in the background, and (lightly!) touch up the skin here and there.

Nothing OTT.

cheers
Such a nice photo. It makes a refreshing change to see pics of people, taken on the DP2M, as opposed to still lifes (sp?) and landscapes.

Kyndel

Quentin_Bargate: This is a beautifull photo - in many ways (composition, the model and more), and I love the way the Sigma DP2 "does the thing".

How did You tweak it ?

Thanks

Quentin_Bargate

Quentin_Bargate: This is a beautifull photo - in many ways (composition, the model and more), and I love the way the Sigma DP2 "does the thing".

How did You tweak it ?

Thanks
Thanks for the kind comments.

This did not start out as a portrait at all. The model is a colleague, originally from Ukraine, who was trying on a some traditional head ware in a shop in Spitalfields, London during a lunch break. I thought it would make a good shot, so I asked her quickly to pose in the shop with window light falling on her face, and took the picture with my DP2M. After cropping a little, most of the work on the image was to correct or remove background distractions so as to give the appearance of a studio-type environment. That was relatively easy. I touched up a few skin blemishes (important with the Merrills!), lightened the skin slightly, then in Photoshop, I duplicated the layer, added a Gaussian blur to it, and reduced the opacity of that layer to about 35-40% - a fairly useful if basic way subtlety to add a "romantic" glow to a portrait. I also erased the Gaussian layer completely for just the eyes and lips, which need to be completely sharp. Eyes were lightened and sharpened a little to add sparkle. Finally, I added some vignette to complete the shot.

I was happy with the result; she was delighted :)

Tim

I'm going mad. I've just ordered a backup DP2M. Just over £300 quid.
Interesting you should do this now. For some time the Merrills have been available new though our AU distributor online for about the best price in the World. I notice now that only the DP2M remains and found after contacting them that the other stock is sold out. I don't want to start a rush on the remaining NOS units but it looks like new Merrills are soon to unavailable.

apsphoto

I am not so sure you can say that they will be unavailable. Here in the states they are frequently out of stock but they seem to get them back in stock. They are still on the Sigma site. I think they will be here for awhile, but you never can tell. I just don't think that stock levels are an indicator. It may be the distributor may not stock them because they are hard to move....

Alan