The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP2 Merrill shots

Quentin_Bargate

Still looking very good. I have a spare DP2M I have not used except to check everything works. I hope they have improved the performance of the new Quattro HD. The spiritual successor is the Pentax K1 with pixel shift.

furtle

Hello Quentin,

Good to see you on this thread again. There is no doubt, as demonstrated in this thread, about the superb image making of DP2M. This thread is literally crammed full of high quality photographs that put many high end cameras to shame.

You've mentioned the upcoming sd Quattro HD and your hopes for it. I'm afraid I have my doubts as my experience with the dp0Q shows it to be a Jekyll and Hyde camera. Occasionallly, it'll deliver excellent results, possibly better than the Merrill but more often than not, the images are disappointing. The sd Quattro appears to be the same. Here is a link to a Japanese photographer using the sd Quattro that I hope qualifies this statement. http://photo.yodobashi.com/sigma/imp/sdq_02.html

It looks like the sd Quattro will only work well, like the dp0, within a very constricted set of parameters. Perhaps the HD will be different. Who knows?

biglouis

Still looking very good. I have a spare DP2M I have not used except to check everything works. I hope they have improved the performance of the new Quattro HD. The spiritual successor is the Pentax K1 with pixel shift.
Quentin

I too have not used the DP2M for some time. However, as soon as I saw the files comes out of mine on Saturday I was reminded what a fantastic sensor the Foveon/Merrill is. The sky is sky (no blown highlights) and skin tones are realistic. Someone will have to convince me very hard that the SD and SD H can match this. Here's hoping...

LouisB

Quentin_Bargate

Hello Quentin,

Good to see you on this thread again. There is no doubt, as demonstrated in this thread, about the superb image making of DP2M. This thread is literally crammed full of high quality photographs that put many high end cameras to shame.

You've mentioned the upcoming sd Quattro HD and your hopes for it. I'm afraid I have my doubts as my experience with the dp0Q shows it to be a Jekyll and Hyde camera. Occasionallly, it'll deliver excellent results, possibly better than the Merrill but more often than not, the images are disappointing. The sd Quattro appears to be the same. Here is a link to a Japanese photographer using the sd Quattro that I hope qualifies this statement. CASE OF SIGMA | sd Quattro ?????????? Vol.02 | -photo.yodobashi.com-

It looks like the sd Quattro will only work well, like the dp0, within a very constricted set of parameters. Perhaps the HD will be different. Who knows?
I share your concerns. However, with the benefit of further development, maybe Sigma have done something to improve the diabolical issues with the useless original Quattros?

I will give Sigma every chance. They had the Holy Grail with the Merills, and threw it away.

Malina DZ

Appreciate Life

Navigation "UP" button died on my DP2M...
On a positive side, I'm surprised how my DP2M managed to survive in frequent abuse to 90% humidity, 90F temps, direct sunlight and some extra sea salt in the breeze during these past 3 years :)

Anyone had any mechanical failures with their Merrills? I don't see them mentioned on forums.

Quentin_Bargate

The DP2M is still one of the best mono cameras around (converted from colour). I have to keep reminding myself of that. High end monochrome in your pocket.

"Transformers Head"

Adnen

Appreciate Life

Navigation "UP" button died on my DP2M...
On a positive side, I'm surprised how my DP2M managed to survive in frequent abuse to 90% humidity, 90F temps, direct sunlight and some extra sea salt in the breeze during these past 3 years :)

Anyone had any mechanical failures with their Merrills? I don't see them mentioned on forums.
Hi Malina,
The upper wheel on my three-year old DM2M gives some erratic incrementations and I tend now to use it less frequently (I assign it to aperture control but rely moslty on pre-programmed settings). Yesterday a little lateral screw has fallen (!) and I was very lucky to find it. I am not a brutal user but these little gems seems to be less durable than professional gear. :(

gnuyork

The DP2M is still one of the best mono cameras around (converted from colour). I have to keep reminding myself of that. High end monochrome in your pocket.
I've never had the pleasure to use a Leica monochrome, but I am pleased with the black and white from the DP2M (I might have posted some of these in the monochrome faveon thread):

Malina DZ

Dynamic Range of Merrills

DP2M0071-SPP6-default-NR0

What looks like a completely blown sky at first, can be recovered in SPP with some exposure adjustments. In this case I did the following to this image to restore sky and clouds.
Exposure: -0.8
Contrast: -0.5
Shadow: 0.0
Highlight: -2.0
Saturation: +0.2
Sharpness: 0.0
X3 Fill Light: +0.7
Overexposure Correction: -
Highlight Control: +1.0
Color Adjustment: A22.5 G4.0
Noise Reduction: Chroma NR: 0.00
Luminance NR: 0.00
Banding Noise: 0.00
Chromatic Aberration Correction: Lens Profile: OFF
Manual : OFF
Fringe Correction : Green Hue : -
Hue Range : -
Amount : -
Fringe Correction : Magenta Hue : -
Hue Range : -
Amount : -

DP2M0071-SPP6-1

Not bad at all I think, as it's not only the luma detail restored, but chroma as well.
And there is not that much pattern noise to chide dp2m for considering this scene contrast, available light and the adjustments above.

biglouis

Looks like a number of us are rediscovering our DP2Ms. These are from various recent walks around Kentish Town in London.

At iso200 this is a very poor man's Hass X1D :)

Malina DZ

At iso200 this is a very poor man's Hass X1D :)
One does not need to have a spare ~$12K to enjoy a point and shoot experience with a leaf shutter camera and capture memories with a unique sensor that is, sadly, no longer in production.

Processed with SPP only.

Malina DZ

Sigma USA Warranty

My DP2M is back and strong from Sigma repair center in Ronkonkoma, NY. A back panel was replaced to address the malfunction with a navigation button. My repair cost is a one way USPS shipping charge. Sigma covered the repair under warranty and shipped the camera back at no cost to me. 4-year USA warranty by the manufacturer with a repair facility in the states is a very solicitous move by Sigma. :clap:
I expect no less from other camera brands.

biglouis

Re: Sigma USA Warranty

My DP2M is back and strong from Sigma repair center in Ronkonkoma, NY. A back panel was replaced to address the malfunction with a navigation button. My repair cost is a one way USPS shipping charge. Sigma covered the repair under warranty and shipped the camera back at no cost to me. 4-year USA warranty by the manufacturer with a repair facility in the states is a very solicitous move by Sigma. :clap:
I expect no less from other camera brands.
But you don't always get it with other brands. Glad to hear it is fixed.

I still would give houseroom to the X1D. The dynamic range of that sensor is amazing. One does have to restrict oneself to iso100-200 with the DP2M. But that's all most of us can afford.

The leaf composition is lovely (and pretty amazing at 100%).

LouisB

Malina DZ

Re: Sigma USA Warranty

I still would give houseroom to the X1D. The dynamic range of that sensor is amazing. One does have to restrict oneself to iso100-200 with the DP2M. But that's all most of us can afford.
To me X1D is yet but another Bayer camera that has a lot to prove in a real world use. Even if you are familiar with the sensor and its output, new lenses are to be evaluated for their rendering quality. It might be a great imaging product and well worth the price. Time will tell.
As of now, I'm excited about DP1M arriving this week-end. I need to supplement my current 75° FOV camera with a leaf shutter. :cool:

Last edited: