The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New member - introduction & lens question

B

Bhakti-rider

Hi everyone

I've only recently learned of the existence of this site. I've been reading some of the threads in the four thirds forum, because as my take-with-me-on-my-Triumph camera, I bought an E-420 with the 14-54 lens and a monopod. My main camera is a 40D.

I first learned something about photography when I was in the Air Force in the sixties. I bought an Asahi Pentax Spotmatic, and learned to develop black-and-white film, and make prints. After I got out and had no more access to a darkroom, I shot mostly color slides. I got better than a casual snapshooter, but nothing very advanced.

A few years ago I got a digital P&S and enjoyed it, and a couple years ago I got an XTi, then later upgraded to the 40D.

Now the question:
Have any of you tried the Panasonic/Leica 14-150 f2.8 - 3.5 Mega OIS lens? I did, and found it to be decidedly inferior in overall IQ, including at least color and sharpness, to the Zuiko 14-54. Since I bought it from B&H and had it shipped to me, and they don't stock them but rather order them from Germany when they receive an order, I didn't even inquire whether I might exchange it for another copy to see if I simply got a lemon. That's such a good focal length range, and the OIS works, that it's a shame the lens didn't perform, and I wonder if anyone else had similar or different experience with it.

D

DougDolde

You'll get better results with a single post..this one is duplicated in two categories.

Terry

Hi everyone

Now the question:
Have any of you tried the Panasonic/Leica 14-150 f2.8 - 3.5 Mega OIS lens? I did, and found it to be decidedly inferior in overall IQ, including at least color and sharpness, to the Zuiko 14-54. Since I bought it from B&H and had it shipped to me, and they don't stock them but rather order them from Germany when they receive an order, I didn't even inquire whether I might exchange it for another copy to see if I simply got a lemon. That's such a good focal length range, and the OIS works, that it's a shame the lens didn't perform, and I wonder if anyone else had similar or different experience with it.
You may have gotten a bad copy as I haven't heard anyone saying the lens was problematic in any way. I think one or two people on the forum have tried it. So, perhaps they can help. If yours is a problem maybe you can make that case to B&H and they will help out. If not then I would call Panasonic.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
If it is less than a month since you purchased it, I would contact B+H. If it is past the return period, Panasonic should stand behind the lens. I agree with what Terry said. I have never heard anything bad about this lens, either.

.... and welcome to the forum.

Brian Mosley

I have had a 14-150mm OIS lens for some time now - couldn't be happier with it, and have no problem with sharpness or colour.

Kind Regards

Brian

Riley

i dont have that lens, but anyway welcome to the forum

does your Triumph look like this ?

B

Bhakti-rider

Thanks for the welcome.

I did send it back to B&H after a couple days; they refunded my money with no questions asked. I sure wish I could find a copy of this lens locally to test, but no one has it; even B&H, as I mentioned, doesn't stock them, but orders them to fill their own orders.

Riley:
No, mine looks like this:

Hmmm... I uploaded an image, but this being my first attempt to do so here, I don't know what to expect. I see it didn't insert into the text I'm typing; perhaps it'll show after I submit this reply... I guess I'll learn something here.