The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DP1M or DP2M????

Martin S

I am contemplating purchasing either a DP1M, or DP2M. Which focal length would be more versatile?

I shoot mostly landscapes, and some people shots.

I assume that the image quality from each lens is equal.

Thanks.

Martin

JSRockit

I'm going for the DP2M if I decide to buy one. 45mm equiv makes more sense for my photography over a 28mm equiv. Only you can decide for your photography.

jminor

If the IQ of the DP 1 Merrill is the same as the DP 2 Merrill, I plan on getting both. You should get the focal length that you are more comfortable with. For me I like the wider lens for landscapes.
John

scho

If the IQ of the DP 1 Merrill is the same as the DP 2 Merrill, I plan on getting both. You should get the focal length that you are more comfortable with. For me I like the wider lens for landscapes.
John
+1
My DP1M should arrive on Monday. Found this sample image posted on flickr from a beta test shoot that suggests good sharpness across the frame:
SDIM1181 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Millsart

Images I've seen from both look good, but the 30mm seems to have a bit more of the "3D" look it to, not sure why exactly.

I've had both the 19 and 30 for my NEX, and while they aren't the same lens of course, the 19 was good, but the 30 was exceptional.

Seems like the 19 is pretty well corrected with some fringing in the corners and pretty darn good across the frame sharpness for a wide.

The 30 though just looks flawless edge to edge and with a pretty pleasingly smooth bokeh as well.

Of course 28mm typically is what I'd find more useful for most shooting lol

biglouis

We could start an interesting debate about the best focal length for landscapes. Personally, I favour 50mm or mid-range telephoto up to 135mm. However, looking at the samples at the Sigma website - both cameras are capable of impressive results. I'm wondering if we took a poll in six months time how many owners of a DP2 will have also bought a DP1!

LouisB

Thorkil

+1
My DP1M should arrive on Monday. Found this sample image posted on flickr from a beta test shoot that suggests good sharpness across the frame:
SDIM1181 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
It seems like the DP1M is just slightly soft in the corners, and might suggest also a little less 3-dimentional feeling. On the other hand I'll just need a 28mm
But I guess I'll have to take a little bitterness together with the sweat.
Thorkil

motrix

Great question and I am subscribing to see what others are going for. I sold off my Ricoh GRDIII and GXR. I loved both and the GRDIII was my always on my camera while the 5DII and GXR spent the days and nights at home.

Loved the 28mm focal length as for indoors and baseball games it worked well. But I also love the 45ish mm focal length as well when I am outdoors walking around. I am torn between the two will wait it out and have a personal debate about it for a few more weeks.

But I am leaning towards getting the DP2M, RX100 to go along with my M7 and 5DII.

Marvin

Thorkil

http://www.flickr.com/photos/poweiyeh_tw/8027638678/
That DP1M picture seems to confirm the slightly softnes in the corners, but on the other hand its not worse than my M-Elmarit 21/2.8, and that I have lived well with for 20 years. The 19mm seems to do a very, very good job, but I'm just so temted towards the ultra perfection the DP2M seems the deliver(I just simply have to try it as the first choise), and then the DP1M will have to be bought a little later on.
Thorkil

Last edited:
J

JeffC

I agree. The 45mm equivalent is a better option for me as well.
I was (pleasantly) surprised at how solid the body feels.

peterb

The 19mm lens is VERY good but with the nearly flawless 30mm around it's gotten a rather bad rap. But if like so many others in this particular neck of the GetDPI site you can't live with anything but the best though for wide get the DP2M.

And a good stitching software. :)

(I promise the landscapes will sit still without complaining while you take two or more shots.)