The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

LL New review of the DP1 M

scho

Amen! I hope his plea to Sigma for open raw processing software support is fruitful.

Sapphie

Oh boy!

Just as an aside - I assume that both cameras take the same size battery and that if you have both cameras you have 4 batteries to play with?

Lee

Thorkil

I think I'll pas the link to Phase One once again and encourage them to include them in C1. They sort of promised me...
Thorkil

scho

Oh boy!

Just as an aside - I assume that both cameras take the same size battery and that if you have both cameras you have 4 batteries to play with?

Lee
Yes, same battery for both, but you might want to buy extras for longer trips. Also, same battery is used in the Ricoh GRD (DB 65).

Michiel Schierbeek

Good to read that Michael Reichman is lyrical about the cameras.
I don't regret I have to wait for the 2 instead of the 1, but where is it. :cry:
Although I still have enough cameras to amuse myself.

Michiel

Pingang

I have DP-1M almost 10 days so far, very nice camera except the battery is really disappointed as the DP-2M, probably just 100-120 exposures per charge of battery. For a good day shoot, make sure at least 4-5 batteries.

BR,
Pingang

jonoslack

It sounds wonderful - I can live with slow processing of raw files and slow AF but it's the last paragraph which kills it for me.

I've spent too much time struggling with proprietary RAW formats, and I'm simply not going to do it anymore.

I don't care if it's the best camera in the world, if I have to change my processing software again I'm simply not interested. If Leica and Pentax and others can produce DNG files . . why not Sigma? (of course, there may be technical reasons, as there are with the new Fuji sensors) - but I'm sure I'm not alone in refusing to use Silkypix or the Sigma or Sony or Olympus raw processing software.

Quentin_Bargate

It sounds wonderful - I can live with slow processing of raw files and slow AF but it's the last paragraph which kills it for me.

I've spent too much time struggling with proprietary RAW formats, and I'm simply not going to do it anymore.

I don't care if it's the best camera in the world, if I have to change my processing software again I'm simply not interested. If Leica and Pentax and others can produce DNG files . . why not Sigma? (of course, there may be technical reasons, as there are with the new Fuji sensors) - but I'm sure I'm not alone in refusing to use Silkypix or the Sigma or Sony or Olympus raw processing software.
Hi Jono,

I used to use Silkypix and it was pretty good. Its a general package for most cameras so it is less limited that the nonesense that is Sigma Photo Pro. However, I don't use it (Silkypix) any more.

ACR (which I use) and Lightroom now support Hasselblad. I would hope for Sigma support in the future. But who knows?

Hope all is well. Glynis is about to buy a new foal...

Q

jonoslack

Hi Jono,

I used to use Silkypix and it was pretty good. Its a general package for most cameras so it is less limited that the nonesense that is Sigma Photo Pro. However, I don't use it (Silkypix) any more.

ACR (which I use) and Lightroom now support Hasselblad. I would hope for Sigma support in the future. But who knows?

Hope all is well. Glynis is about to buy a new foal...

Q
All good here thanks. Emma was on the brink of buying a pair if pocket ponies, but I think the lust has worn off.

I use Aperture. I've spent the last 6 months using Lightroom because of the MM, now that's gone back to Leica I'm sinking gratefully back into quality territory, and I'm not going back!

Love to Glynis

jonoslack

Jono

SPP isn't *that* bad.

You know you want to ...

Lee
:p I know I don't - I'm really not even tempted - but it is ONLY because of the support - Even if you said SPP was wonderful, I still wouldn't want to - everything is catalogued and sorted in Aperture - using something else for some photos is a Right Royal Pain In The A$$!

Thorkil

:p I know I don't - I'm really not even tempted - but it is ONLY because of the support - Even if you said SPP was wonderful, I still wouldn't want to - everything is catalogued and sorted in Aperture - using something else for some photos is a Right Royal Pain In The A$$!
dispite all the words......its all about one thing.....You will just have to try one
Thorkil

jonoslack

dispite all the words......its all about one thing.....You will just have to try one
Thorkil
No, I don't think so - as I say, I've done it so often, and it always ends in tears. Mind you, I'm very impressed with the output.

pophoto

Seems like a lot of trying to convince someone to a camera because of poor software, despite mixed feeling camera..... Surely none of this makes sense, I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole unless you are crazy!

Better to stay away if you ask me!

Thorkil

No, I don't think so - as I say, I've done it so often, and it always ends in tears. Mind you, I'm very impressed with the output.
just would have liked to see some DP1/2M pictures from your hand :)
but that will have to wait then...
Thorkil

Thorkil

Seems like a lot of trying to convince someone to a camera because of poor software, despite mixed feeling camera..... Surely none of this makes sense, I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole unless you are crazy!

Better to stay away if you ask me!
Don't know where the mixed feelings are...but anyway...doesn't matter, as long as one doesn't expect the camera to do the housecleaning too, (but... take a closer looks at Quentins thread)
Thorkil

Kofronj

Jono,

Many Sigma shooters will use SPP to process the files (via batch) and dump them out as 16-bit tiffs for Aperture or Lightroom to consume. What do I know---I'm still a Lightzone fan...

Sigma has been more than willing to work with Adobe or Apple (or any commercial developer) regarding file support. The fact that there's not been much support speaks more to Adobe's/Apple's priorities than Sigma's willingness to work with them. It wouldn't surprise me to see that change with the good press that the DPx Merrill's are getting.

Jim