The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Dp2M/SPP and White Balance

pflower

Following all the comments on this and other sites I have broken the habit of a lifetime and ordered a DP2M without having actually tried one myself before hand.

I have downloaded SPP in anticipation and note that the white balance settings are restricted to pre-set drop down values. As far as I can see there is no way to set the white balance with an eye dropper against (for example) a grey card.

There is a color correction wheel below the white balance tools. Can this set an accurate white balance from a neutral target? Or where accurate white balance is needed, is it a question of getting it as close as possible and then adjusting the exported tiff file?

Anyone have any experience of this?

Thanks

Quentin_Bargate

Hi there

You can use the eyedropper tool to set the white balance on a grey card, or fiddle around with the colour wheel. Its not very sophisticated.

I have found that you are better off abandoning auto white balance for many shots and instead using sunlight as a starting point. Auto white balance gives a cyan tint in sunlight.

But these details aside, you should love the camera.