The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Interesting tripod/monopod for DP2M

peterb

Since I got the DP2M steadiness has been paramount in certain conditions (mostly due to the desire to shoot at low ISO and having an f2.8 lens). I'd been looking at number of solutions that would provide a quick, lightweight platform for shooting when out and about. One candidate was Manfrotto's 682B monopod which had a nice set of 'legs' that would provide a tripod like stability that, while it might still be a bit unwieldy with a DSLR, would certainly be enough for the DP2M. I picked on up this weekend but returned it within hours. While it was certainly solidly made it was quite heavy for my tastes. Plus the (legs that were quite good by the way), were inside the leg and had to be 'unscrewed' and re-screwed to set up. Honestly I wasn't sure if it was any faster than simply pulling a lightweight tripod out of its bag and quickly extending the legs and setting up.

So I decided to embark on a major search for a better leg-based monopod solution. What I found was a promising brand called Trek Tech. The design seems pretty good (the legs seem to be part of the lower body and extend out like an old music stand for even better stability than the Manfrotto design) but there's one part me pause and that's why I'm posing a question for forum denizens.

Instead of the usual quick release mechanisms on its ball head it uses a rare-earth magnet and locking mechanism. Now Trek-Tech's website goes to great lengths to assure you that the magnetic field won't affect the memory cards whose concept does not rely on a magnet to write data. And that part I'm okay with. The part I wasn't too sure about was how a strong magnetic field might effect foveon sensor.

Lightweight, Travel Monopod Tripod Combination | TrekPods | Trek-Tech

Trek-Tech TrekPod II With MagMount Star TREK-00110 B&H Photo

If anyone has insight as to possible negative effects of a magnet (if any) might have on a foveon sensor I'd love to know. Otherwise this is definitely a winner for me.

Thanks,

Peter