The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP-1 Merrill shots

Pingang

Got my DP-1 Merrill and out for some shots in recent trip to Taiwan. The scenery shot made in a fishing harbor in East Taiwan, Nanfang'ao (Southern Bay), and one portrait made on one of Taiwan most celebrated photography master - Ko Sichi, a close friend of mine. And a close-up on egg shelves, in a bakery shop.
All shot in RAW, ISO 100, manual mode.

As the DP-2 Merrill that I also have, the DP-1 Merrill is a very nice companion camera, equally excellent.

BR,
Pingang

biglouis

Quentin, I was just thinking the opposite.

Many of the pictures have that '3d-ness' that you see on the DP2M.

The cat on top of the fishing net shot stands out as does the subway station (marvellous stuff!).

But what really stands out for me is the portrait. I thought the DP1M brochure made the portrait ability stand out and I feel the portrait shot here emphasises that.

I only wish I could afford to get one but I'm a little tapped out after getting the DP2M and some accesories (lens hood, filter, portable tripod) so this acquisition will have to wait for a while.

LouisB

Quentin_Bargate

Quentin, I was just thinking the opposite.

Many of the pictures have that '3d-ness' that you see on the DP2M.

The cat on top of the fishing net shot stands out as does the subway station (marvellous stuff!).

But what really stands out for me is the portrait. I thought the DP1M brochure made the portrait ability stand out and I feel the portrait shot here emphasises that.

I only wish I could afford to get one but I'm a little tapped out after getting the DP2M and some accesories (lens hood, filter, portable tripod) so this acquisition will have to wait for a while.

LouisB
Well I have a DP1m on order now so I guess I will find out :p

Pingang

Thanks, I think the DP-1M is a completely different camera from DP-2M because of different lens. The 28mm is fact very good at close ups, as I did the portrait and the egg shells, reminds me of the Carl Zeiss for Contax 28/2 MM lens, which I use to shoot a lot of portrait with.
The DP-1M wide angle lens is perfect for location work, while the DP-2M is more for selected subjects.
Both really nice camera and the only problem is that you may need both.

BR,
Pingang

Pingang

I am unsure about the DP1M. It seems its lens is not quite as outstanding as the DP2m. thoughts?
They are different lens, typically it is a lot easier to make a normal lens to perform better than wide angle lens, so I would say to put the lens in comparison of same focal length, the 2 are the same.
I use the DP-1M more for travel shots while using the DP-2M in studio for portrait snaps. Both great!

BR,
Pingang

ggibson

Yeah, seems like the new DP1M lens is a bit more usable than the old DP1 f4 design. I found it did not focus very close, and f4 was quite frustrating at times when I needed a bit more light.

jlm

Workshop Member
yours truly, getting clipped, arm-length shot, viewing LCD in barber's window, ha!
light was a florescent/incandescent mix; couldn't color balance well in sigma did most in PS. (where is the color picker, Kelvin and tint control in sigma?)

Thorkil

Well, I do think those DP1M pictures are wonderful. And where the DP2M’s are very very clean, and refined, the 1M’s are more film-like, AND the 1M’s do really have some special charm over them, which I like very much! Sort of two “very” different camera’s. Yes, perhaps one will need both. Keep on!
Best from rainy Italy Thorkil

biglouis

Well, just for the fun of it, go to
Imaging Resource "Comparometer" ™ Digital Camera Image Comparison Page
chose the DP1M for the first camera, go to still-life 100, click once + twice and try to look at the lady at the "Hellas" bottle and for the second camera do the same for f.ex. canon MkIII or Nikon D800E. Its only the D800E that is close/better and Pentax 645D are considerable better. The OM-D is close.
Thorkil
The DP1M shots stack up very well. I certainly don't feel I am at a disadvantage using a DP2M over a D800E.

But the Pentax shot is superb. If I had the dough that is one camera I would seriously contemplate owning.

That said, for all intents and purposes the DP1M is more than capable of serious results and it won't break the bank or lead to divorce.

Louis