The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Man I'm spoiled

peterb

A number of websites have been posting images from Sony's new RX-1. Now while admittedly this highly vaunted camera may have superior capabilities in terms of AF speed, higher ISO and file writing (among scores of other attributes I suppose)...i dunno...maybe it's me but after using the DP2M and seeing shots posted here and elsewhere the IQ of this hyper pricey marvel seems just kinda so-so. (I'm doomed.)

lambert

The recent images from the RX1 on the various websites actually look pretty good to me, considering they're OOC JPEGs from pre-release firmware. Most seem to be shot with in-camera sharpness set to 0, and they sharpen up nicely in LR. I have downrez'd a few to 15mp, matching the pixel dimensions of the DP2M, and they look really good. It takes a lot of guts for a camera maker to put pre-release gear into the hands of reviewers and allow them to post full-res images online. Leica, for example, have hyped the new M to death but have not yet posted a single image.

There's no doubt that images from the DP2M stand out from the crowd. But the RX1 images display more consistency (i.e. no weird color/effects) and are far more diverse, ranging from shots in good light to ridiculously low light and the 35/2 on full frame provides for lovely environmental portraits with that trademark Zeiss look.

The DP2M lens is possibly better, however, a slow 45mm lens (in 35mm speak) doesn't exactly represent ground breaking optical design. Given the limited high ISO performance of the DP2M, the lens should really have been an f2, which is fairly ubiquitous on high-end fixed-lens cameras nowadays.

Quentin_Bargate

RX1 images look ordinary to me. An F2 lens is not ubiquitous, its large(r) and would have added to the cost! I mean, just how much more do you want for less than $1,000 US?:)

pophoto

I agree, quite ordinary, in fact most of these review sites and blogs never are able to create some wow factor from other photos, so while this is fair to judge a camera by, I'm not sold by the cost/IQ dept.

lambert

I agree, quite ordinary, in fact most of these review sites and blogs never are able to create some wow factor from other photos, so while this is fair to judge a camera by, I'm not sold by the cost/IQ dept.
The images are definitely ordinary from an artistic perspective. You can't blame a camera for lack of creativity. Review sites like DPR have a track record for posting lousy sample OOC JPEGs with no attention to optimizing settings. But considering they are OOC images from pre-production firmware I like what I see in some images after applying moderate post processing. They will only improve when shot in RAW and processed (with ease) using LR. I'm not saying they have the outright clarity of the DP2M, but you need to bear in mind that these are 24MP pics and they sharpen considerably when resized to 15MP.

BTW, I'm not pushing the RX1 over the DP2M. I'm just calling it as I see it. My order for a DP1M is still firm with my dealer.

lambert

An F2 lens is not ubiquitous, its large(r) and would have added to the cost! I mean, just how much more do you want for less than $1,000 US?:)
For $1000, I demand f1.4, at the least! Seriously, I'm perfectly fine with the f2.8 lens on the new DP's. I'm going with the DP1M, since I find 28mm to be eminently more useful than a 45mm for landscapes. I was just pointing that while the 45/2.8 on the DP2M is a cracker of a lens, it is hardly a complex lens to design. If it had been an f2, then that would be something.

pophoto

The images are definitely ordinary from an artistic perspective. You can't blame a camera for lack of creativity. Review sites like DPR have a track record for posting lousy sample OOC JPEGs with no attention to optimizing settings. But considering they are OOC images from pre-production firmware I like what I see in some images after applying moderate post processing. They will only improve when shot in RAW and processed (with ease) using LR. I'm not saying they have the outright clarity of the DP2M, but you need to bear in mind that these are 24MP pics and they sharpen considerably when resized to 15MP.

BTW, I'm not pushing the RX1 over the DP2M. I'm just calling it as I see it. My order for a DP1M is still firm with my dealer.
I wasn't passing judgement over your opinion, rather just called it how I saw it!
Also, I'm really excited over the RX1, but the samples so far are nothing to write home about. The potential of the RX1 is many times that over the DP1/2M, but those who have bought into the DP know and favor its strength.

Likewise for the RX1, you'll know, or you should for that money why you are buying into the system. Different cameras for different needs, but with the excitement, I am still waiting for certain images, and hope they deliver.

retow

The RX1 definitely looks like a capable camera with a sensor-lens combo producing nice files. But except for FF in a very small package I don't see anything unique in what it offers, unlike the DP2M/DP1M.

biglouis

I didn't want to troll about the RX1 but the images at Dpreview are very underwhelming. Mind you, in recent times I question the quality of their test shots. In any case I come back to the fact that if it is a fixed lens camera, who cares how large the sensor is if it is at least APS-C sized? After acquiring the DP2M the RX1 is no longer attractive to me.

LouisB

Quentin_Bargate

Of course the people who SHOULD be most excited about the DP2/1M cameras are Sigma. If they have any sense they must realise that they have hit on something special, possibly unique. Maybe they should be looking at a higher end derivative with a faster lens and even better performance. Maybe a full frame 25-30mp beast and I would be happy with a fixed lens matched to the sensors if that works best. Frankly, I am putty in Sigma's Foveon hands right now. I used to be a rational human being, but the DP2M has changed all that :D

biglouis

Of course the people who SHOULD be most excited about the DP2/1M cameras are Sigma. If they have any sense they must realise that they have hit on something special, possibly unique. Maybe they should be looking at a higher end derivative with a faster lens and even better performance. Maybe a full frame 25-30mp beast and I would be happy with a fixed lens matched to the sensors if that works best. Frankly, I am putty in Sigma's Foveon hands right now. I used to be a rational human being, but the DP2M has changed all that :D
I know what you mean. I've even been researching the SD1 conversion to R mount (or possibly Nikon might make more sense). Think about it. A MF digital camera for about a tenth of the price - although you are constrained to using manual focus lenses, which for me is not a problem.

Worrying, very worrying. How can a company like Sigma come up with a product like this?

Louis

biglouis

This is a favourite test shot of mine. It is very hard to achieve because of the enormous dynamic range which makes capturing detail and highlights of barges in the distance difficult. The downlight from the areas between the bridges often causes problems as well. The DP2M handles it with ease.

SP5-->tiff-->LR-->resize, some fill light at top of picture, resize and export-->MS Picture Viewer-->adjust saturation down-->save

scho

This is a favourite test shot of mine. It is very hard to achieve because of the enormous dynamic range which makes capturing detail and highlights of barges in the distance difficult. The downlight from the areas between the bridges often causes problems as well. The DP2M handles it with ease.

SP5-->tiff-->LR-->resize, some fill light at top of picture, resize and export-->MS Picture Viewer-->adjust saturation down-->save
Beautiful image Louis and excellent processing. Great demonstration of the DP2M latitude.

biglouis

Beautiful image Louis and excellent processing. Great demonstration of the DP2M latitude.
Ooops. I put this in the wrong thread. I meant to put it in the DP2M thread. Don't know how it ended up here!

LouisB