The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Epson RD-1

S

stnami

The lens seems to suit the RD-1 ,day 3 shot is at 1600iso, probably only run a dozen or so shots with the lens fo far, but that was enough to know it was a keeper. I put the lens on the Bessa R4A (Provia 400), the lens takes up a bit of the frame but as I shoot f8 aperture priority minus.7 using 28VF does the job nicely, see how those images comes out later.

1600iso is quite workable for me and for some work spot on but it does seem as if 800iso may be used a bit more with that edge in PP work, 200 and 400 have gotta be usefull for something???

Now I should take the 50 out of its packaging even if it is to see what it looks like, it is meant for a portraiture role so it's no use playing with it just for the sake of it being new .....it can wait

S

stnami

a heaps of contrast day by the water to add to the glare

S

stnami

The Epson R-D1 is also sensitive to IR and many owners have used the camera for years without ever knowing that.
..in what situations is this obvious, there is a blue cast at times nn days of high contrast.ie light and shade extremes

C

Chris Herbert

Sean (or any other Epson folks out there),

I'm curious as to which of the Leica lenses you like best on the R-D1? I've not shot mine very much since the M8 arrived; and when I was shooting, I primarily used my 24 Elmarit and 35 'cron on it, which seemed most appropriate considering the crop factor.

Guy, I'll probably have it with me in Moab.

LCT

...I'm curious as to which of the Leica lenses you like best on the R-D1?...
Would be easier to tell the lenses i dislike... There is none really but longer focal length than 50mm are not my cup of tea on the R-D1. AFAIC my favourite combos are:
- 1 lens: late Summilux pre-asph 35/1.4
- 2 lenses: Summicron 28/2 and late Summilux pre-asph 50/1.4 (or 50/1.4 asph when i need extra sharpness)
- 3 lenses: Same with the Elmarit 21/2.8 asph or the CV 21/4 P.

eekimel

One of the bigger disappointments when I had my RD-1 was the fact that my 90 F2 was virtually impossible to focus.

I enjoyed using it with my CV12 and CV15, didn't like the images my 35 2.8 summaron produced but liked what I saw out of my 28 Ultron and my 50 Summicron (1960s vintage). In fact, I liked the 50 on it the best.

LCT

One of the bigger disappointments when I had my RD-1 was the fact that my 90 F2 was virtually impossible to focus...
Same with a Leica CL or a Bessa. The base length of the rangefinder is too short. Don't expect high success rates at faster apertures than f/3.5 without magnifier.

S

Sean_Reid

..in what situations is this obvious, there is a blue cast at times nn days of high contrast.ie light and shade extremes
Hi Imants,

I just saw this. Its noticeable any time one does color work with subjects that reflect IR (I don't mean that to sound pat it's just the real answer). Certain black textiles are the usual example but all kinds of things can reflect IR. It tends to be more noticeable, with the M8 and the Epson, under tungsten.

Cheers,

Sean

Last edited:
S

Sean_Reid

Sean (or any other Epson folks out there),

I'm curious as to which of the Leica lenses you like best on the R-D1? I've not shot mine very much since the M8 arrived; and when I was shooting, I primarily used my 24 Elmarit and 35 'cron on it, which seemed most appropriate considering the crop factor.

Guy, I'll probably have it with me in Moab.
I've gotta remember to look in on this thread more.

Of the Leicas, my favorites on the R-D1 are:

21/2.8 current
24/2.8 current
28/2.0 current
35/1.4 current
50/1.4 current

I'm especially fond of the 24, 35 and 50 above.

In addition to the RR lens tests on the R-D1, I also did a couple for LL.

Cheers,

Sean

S

stnami

........... .just a snippet, the old still available used ...Nikon SB-30 ( small) fits like a glove, needed a smidgen of extra light for a couple of portraits...................bear ute e full .......................another :thumbup:

LCT

...the old still available used ...Nikon SB-30 ( small) fits like a glove...
Same for my favourite SB-20 (pic) but i'd like to get a smaller one like the SB-30 for travels.
Does it hit your forehead when you tilt it on the R-D1 Imants?

simonclivehughes

Imants,

I have printed up to 13x19" with my R-D1 files and the results are stunning. It's hard to believe the results you get from the 6MP this camera has.

S

stnami

Hi
Yea some nice files...................... if one is into recreating reality, and wants all the detail (we never see in real life anyway) sure the top end cameras are better.
If you have used film cameras this camera is a joy to use.
The added bonus one doesn't have to worry about what can be improved on the camera, what you have is what you get to use, no upgrades or new models. It all becomes about photography and for me a lot of PP work ( my choice).

Last edited: