The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Franiec grip for Sigma DP1/DP2 Merrills announced

Charles2

From an email sent by Richard Franiec announcing the CG-DPMerrill grip:

Using and carrying DP Merrill cameras comfortably and with enhanced safety is now possible.

The finger groove was designed and tested to fit the hand in most natural way enhancing operation of control camera functions on the fly. For unobtrusive shooting, the grip covers the shining silver logo (a necessary extension of the grip).

The grip sits well below the retracted lens. It weighs around an ounce (35 grams). It is individually precision 3D CNC machined from high-grade aluminum alloy, glass-bead blasted and black-anodized with a nickel seal for durability.

The grip attaches to your DP Merrill by 3M VHB clear transfer tape, known for ultimate bonding power in a wide range of environments. Once mounted, the grip becomes an integral part of the cam, yet it can be removed without damage to the camera or the grip finish when the need arises.

The custom DP1/2Merrill grip will be available in the first part of December 2012 for $36.95 plus shipping.

Photos of the grip on the camera

---

I had a Franiec grip on my old Sigma DP2. It was marvelous, for security of handling and for an attractive look, which I am convinced was a plus when I sold the camera.

peterb

I'm not surprised as I'm sure he got TONS of requests. The price is probably right but I had pre-maturely purchased one of his grips when I was considering Sony's RX100 pocket camera I got a pretty good idea of it's texture and feel. I never got the camera but I did have the grip.

When I got the Sigma I was on the hunt for a grip of some sort and settled (hardly) on John Milich' machined grip that he fashioned.

Freniac's grip is faily inexpensive next to the Milich design. But, personally, in terms of overall shifting of balance and heft there's no comparision.

Still I'm sure many will enjoy what Freniac hath wrought. :)

Charles2

You can now place your order

I just placed my order through PayPal, following the instructions at
Richard Franiec's Camera Accessories

U.S. $36.95 + $3.45 ship in U.S. All information including international shipping is at the above link.

You can use the PayPal channel without a PayPal account. Your credit card is accepted instead.

Charles2

Franiec grip received and installed, a definite plus

He shipped from Illinois on Monday; I received it Thursday in California.

I'm not a serious tripod shooter. If that ever happens, other grips are available for that purpose.

The benefits:

1. You can pick up the camera with one hand and hold it with one hand while thinking about the shot, while removing the SD card, etc.

2. You will find a more stable way to hold the camera for the shutter press. Your middle finger can pull against the ridge for tension while your left hand does its thing.

3. The grip covers the white Sigma logo.

4. It just makes the camera look elegant.