The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone Have A SD1M And A DP1M or DP2M?

GCecchetto

Anyone out there that owns an SD1M and a DP1M or DP2M? If so, I'm curious if the SD1M creates the same magic that the DP's do. I have a DP1M and love the images it produces, but I really don't like working from an LCD screen, much prefer to look through a viewfinder. I'm thinking about getting an SD1M and putting Leica R glass on it.

Thanks

GCecchetto

Kyndel

What about putting the new Sigma 35mm f/1.4 on it ?

Even it is still a question if it beats the synergy the Sigma DP2M and its lens creates.

ggibson

From what I've read, not all Sigma lenses are up to the SD1's sensor quality. The DP lenses are specifically made to reach the resolution standards of the newer foveon sensor. So if you pick up an SD1M, just do some research to find out which lenses will allow you to take advantage of it.

kgelner

Anyone out there that owns an SD1M and a DP1M or DP2M? If so, I'm curious if the SD1M creates the same magic that the DP's do. I have a DP1M and love the images it produces, but I really don't like working from an LCD screen, much prefer to look through a viewfinder. I'm thinking about getting an SD1M and putting Leica R glass on it.

Thanks

GCecchetto
I shoot with a DP-1M, 2M, and SD-1.

The look is nearly the same, with of course the variable being the lenses... not all lenses are as sharp or well-behaved as the DP-2M and DP-1M lenses (DP-2M especially). I process and shoot with them pretty much the same way.

I have just put up some galleries from shooting out in Death Valley, here's one with all three cameras that shows some consistency:

Ice Dunes | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Another one with more color is this one:

Death Valley Salt Creek Sunrise - Jan2013 - a set on Flickr

Which shows examples of some of the same subjects, like this with a DP-2M:

And this with the SD-1 (70mm lens):

(I have to admit in that example there is a bit of a difference, but it could be white balance handling between the two shots)

Kyndel

From what I've read, not all Sigma lenses are up to the SD1's sensor quality. The DP lenses are specifically made to reach the resolution standards of the newer foveon sensor. So if you pick up an SD1M, just do some research to find out which lenses will allow you to take advantage of it.
The new Sigma 35mm F/1.4 gets A LOT of praise, and beats Canons and Nikons ditto in some areas, and it could be very interesting to read some experience with this lens mounted on the SD1 Merrill

Kyndel

I shoot with a DP-1M, 2M, and SD-1.

The look is nearly the same, with of course the variable being the lenses... not all lenses are as sharp or well-behaved as the DP-2M and DP-1M lenses (DP-2M especially). I process and shoot with them pretty much the same way.

I have just put up some galleries from shooting out in Death Valley, here's one with all three cameras that shows some consistency:

Ice Dunes | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Another one with more color is this one:

Death Valley Salt Creek Sunrise - Jan2013 - a set on Flickr

Which shows examples of some of the same subjects, like this with a DP-2M:

And this with the SD-1 (70mm lens):

(I have to admit in that example there is a bit of a difference, but it could be white balance handling between the two shots)
Thank you for sharing - in my eyes the DP2M shot is better, better color, better details, sharper

Kyndel

Thank you for sharing - in my eyes the DP2M shot is better, better color, better details, sharper
Well, looking more carefully, there is some color-problem in the water with the Sigma DP2 M - is there not ?? (but the rest is better IMHO)

kgelner

Well, looking more carefully, there is some color-problem in the water with the Sigma DP2 M - is there not ?? (but the rest is better IMHO)
I'm not quite sure I see anything wrong there... a few areas have a touch of purple I guess. But I think it may be a combination of WB being slightly off with a touch of saturation added.

idillic

I bought all three & find them all slightly different in how they record colour.

DP2M raw images seem to have an emphasis on yellow/green almost to the point of it being a colour cast.
DP1M raw images have a browny tint in the shadows.
SD1M raw images are pretty neutral. The intensity or colour contrast varies with the lenses.
The older lenses like the 50 & 70 macro are pretty low contrast, whereas the curent version of the 8-16mm zoom has much better colour rendition. The new 35mm 1.4 is great in terms of colour & sharpness.

It has taken a while to get used to them & they require a bit of effort to get a reasonable result, but I am enjoying them all. The Sigma lenses for the SD1M are a bit of a lottery whether you will get a good one, but the suppliers have been happy to swap & exchange ones when I have had duds.

Below is a picture taken with the 35mm 1.4, it is a great lens in my opinion.