The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma 35mm f/1.4 for Nikon, Canon, Sony, Sigma

Amin

Sigma's new 35mm f/1.4 seems to be a real winner. Roger Cicala pretty much raved about it citing harsh bokeh as the only drawback and finding the AF to be as reliable as the AF on Canon and Nikon versions.

Link: LensRentals.com - Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Arrives. Announces New World Order.

I trust him on the sharpness tests, but I disagree with him about the bokeh. Doesn't look harsh to me at all compared to Canon and Nikon equivalent lenses. Sigma is marketing this as a lens with minimal axial CA, and the samples I've seen so far bear that out as well. None of the usual purple fringing and very little of the bokeh fringing so common with fast 35s.

More links with samples:

So what we seem to have is a 35mm f/1.4 lens for 35mm format with:
-Superior build (taken apart by Roger to verify not just skin deep)
-AF reliability and performance matching Canon/Nikon 35mm f/1.4 lenses
-Sharpness (both edge and center) exceeding that of Canon and Nikon 35/1.4 lenses
-Less axial CA than Canon and Nikon 35/1.4 lenses
-Attractive bokeh rendering (to me)
-Lower price than Canon and Nikon 35/1.4 lenses

This is a lens that makes me want to pick up a D600 or maybe D800. The only thing holding me back is the combined size and weight of such a combo. It's a really big and heavy lens (similar to Nikon and Canon 35/1.4 size/weight) from my standpoint.

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I think my F6 can look forward to a very rewarding Christmas this year. It will probably work very well as a "normal" lens on my DX format Nikon cameras as well.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Thanks Amin for posting this . Lens has caught my eye for sure. Like to see how it does on the D800e . I have a Zeiss 35mm F2 that I love so not sure I would give it up but you never know.