The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Two interesting comparison tests of DP2M

biglouis

I wonder if anyone from Sigma ever reads this forum.

I mean, here we are, all enthusiastically giving positive product testimonials - let alone the quality of the work in the photo thread.

If you are listening Sigma, please, please, please bring out a mirrorless body and if necessary a limited edition line of lenses for it.

You seriously can't let the Foveon sensor die on the vine because of lack of products.

LouisB

Last edited:

Quentin_Bargate

Let's be thankful for what we have. Sigma could blow the whole MF / high end 35mm market to kingdom come with a full frame 30mp plus Foveon based camera with a few DP2m level lenses. But they won't.

Michiel Schierbeek

Let's be thankful for what we have. Sigma could blow the whole MF / high end 35mm market to kingdom come with a full frame 30mp plus Foveon based camera with a few DP2m level lenses. But they won't.
How do you know Quentin? Friends in high places? :)

(We are like spoiled children, it's never enough :p)

kuau

Workshop Member
Does anyone use the SD1 Merrill?
I did and returned the whole kit back to Sigma USA, not because the camera, but the sigma lenses. I probably had sigma send me 10 lenses to try.
Besides he 50 and 75mm macro, struggled with everything else, mostly decentering issues, the 20mm had promiss I tried 3 different samples and all had different issues. Same with the 30mm and also there new 150mm Macro.
I think Sigma lenses have terrible manufacturing issues, maybe the new 35/1.4 will be good.
What's nice about the DP2m is they seem to have matched the sensor well with the lens.

I still have a DP2m on order fm B&h I got there special price, yet have had them hold it because I am still evaluating he Fuji XE-1, with there kit zoom lens.
Though if C1 does not deliver good RAW processing I am sending it back and will take delivery of the DP2M.

Steven

Quentin_Bargate

How do you know Quentin? Friends in high places? :)

(We are like spoiled children, it's never enough :p)
Speculation only. And a bit of a tease for Sigma....

But it may be logical. Sigma's main income stream is in supplying lenses to fit other manufacturers cameras. The Machievellian streak in me wonders how far they would want to pitch themselves as mainstream camera manufacturers against their indirect customer base, particularly with a product using a sensor that they don't have (I discount the SD1 as a niche product). If I ran Sigma, I'd look at making a limited edition super camera way out there with huge Foveon sensor and matched optics at a suitably high non-Sigma price. Don't compete at the 35mm DSLR level, go high end where you are not gouging your current market. It would raise sigma's standing and add kudos to their current range. Bit like Renault in F1 Motorsport.

Kirk Candlish

The only reason Renault is in F1 is because they're contracting for engines at a price that's take it or leave it. They left the sport as complete car builders years ago because they'd won repeatedly and had no real competition.

Clearly the mindset at Sigma was to charge a premium that set them apart. We all watched that debacle. Now with the DP1M and DP2M they've recovered their credibility and demonstrated the superior strengths of their sensor can be brought to the market without a premium price.

Let's hope they are talking with the companies that know how to go from R&D to the market in time to be viable and will let someone else build the camera while they supply the sensor and lenses.