The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Milich Grip vs RRS for Sigma DP2M

kuau

Workshop Member
With RRS now shipping there L-Bracket / Grip for the Sigma, has anyone actually compared the two.

I finally decided and pulled the trigger the DP2M, I got the special B&H price.
So now can't decide on a L-Bracket

Secondly , in the USA, where can one purchase the lens shade from who has it in stock? or are there any alternative?

Lastly, I want to go cheap on a Nodal slider.. I will be mounting it on my RRS PCL-1 Panning Clamp, yeah I know I can get the RRS MPR-CL but it looks like there are no measure marks on it. Any Suggestions?

Steven

neilvan

I haven't tried both but I do have the RRS grip/plate(s). I just bought the RRS model because I have had a fair amount of experience with their products in the past and they just work exactly how I expect them to. This grip/plate combo is no different, just a simple high-quality product.

I don't know about a shop in the US but I ordered my DP2M hood from this seller, it got here (Vancouver, BC area) from Japan in less than a week with the free shipping. I have used this seller several times and they have always been great.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OFFICIAL-Si...ens_Adapters_Mounts_Tubes&hash=item4607aaa259

I already had the MPR-CL II (with the distance markings) but quickly found out it was too long for the DP2M. I ended up buying the RRS 192 Precision Plus Package and it is a great match for the DP2M. Distance markings, bubble level and easily configurable for other situations.

Hope that helps! :)

kuau

Workshop Member
Neil,
Thanks for the info, yeah I will order the RRS stuff.sounds like the way to go and i will check with Sigma USA to see if they have any hoods, if not I will try the eBay link.

Steven

Rich M

I went a more circuitous route....I ordered Jim Millich's grip/L-plate, which I used mostly when I wanted to tripod mount.

I then received Richard Franiec's grips which are just so awesome. I put them on both cameras and they turn them into something delightful to handle.

I removed the grip from Jim's and ended up with a very nice L-plate that sits below Richard's grip. So now I have the best of both....svelte, well designed camera grips for most of my hand held shooting and avery nice L-plate for tripod use.

R

kuau

Workshop Member
Rich,
Another great option.
I wonder if the RRS L-Bracket would work with Richards grip.
Then I could always leave on Richards grip, and attaché the RRS L bracket when doing tripod work.

Rich M

jlm

Workshop Member
regarding my grip:

the grip shape was designed so you can actually dangle the camera from two fingers; it isn't just a bump on the camera surface

the height of the grip is such that you perch the second finger on top, gripping the camera primarily with the last two fingers, palm and thumb. this positions and frees the second finger to operate the dial and leaves the forefinger free for the shutter

By request, I will add a removable pin for a wrist strap; the slot is already there, .

Last edited:

biglouis

regarding my grip:

the grip shape was designed so you can actually dangle the camera from two fingers; it isn't just a bump on the camera surface

the height of the grip is such that you perch the second finger on top, gripping the camera primarily with the last two fingers, palm and thumb. this positions and frees the second finger to operate the dial and leaves the forefinger free for the shutter

By request, I will add a removable pin for a wrist strap; the slot is already there, .
And it is worth pointing out that Jim is a real gentleman as well when it comes to supporting his customers. My Milich grip is great!

LouisB

neilvan

regarding my grip:

I agree, being able to hang it off your fingers like an SLR is an important feature. I do that quite often to give my hand/fingers a break.

kuau

Workshop Member
Jim,

Looking at the pictures of your whole setup, it looks very nice,no question.
I actually had one on order from you a while ago, but then I got side tracked with trying the Fuji X-E1 which I have decided is not the camera for me.

My only thinking was when I want to shoot the DP2M hand held, and don't want to have attached the base plate / grip.

I will give it some thought tonight then place my order tomorrow.
What is the weight of your L-Bracket / Base plate weigh without the grip?

Steven

regarding my grip:

jlm

Workshop Member
with grip and no L-plate about 95 grams; i can get an exact number tomorrow.

the L-plate and the grip, for that matter, can be easily removed (two socket head screws each)

why would you want to remove the grip/baseplate when shooting handheld?

by the way, a few have suggested I make an adapter that would fit onto the bottom of the base, have the same grooves and another tripod socket, but made so that when fitted to a tripod via screw or clamp, the lens nodal point would be on the tripod pan rotation axis. my test show that the nodal for the 35mm lens is 27mm forward from where my present base grooves position it, so the adapter has to overhang to the front and be about 5/16 thick to allow the clamps to get a grip on it

kuau

Workshop Member
Jim,
I was referring to removing your base and L Bracket and use Richard Franiec's grip which I would stay on the camera all the time.
Then when I want to shoot on a tripod use your base and L-Bracket and hopefully this new plate you are designing for pano's

It would seem the best of both worlds.
What would would be the cost for your base and L-Bracket minus the grip.
I am trying to keep the DP2M as small as possible when not shooting on a tripod.

Steven

with grip and no L-plate about 95 grams; i can get an exact number tomorrow.

the L-plate and the grip, for that matter, can be easily removed (two socket head screws each)

why would you want to remove the grip/baseplate when shooting handheld?

by the way, a few have suggested I make an adapter that would fit onto the bottom of the base, have the same grooves and another tripod socket, but made so that when fitted to a tripod via screw or clamp, the lens nodal point would be on the tripod pan rotation axis. my test show that the nodal for the 35mm lens is 27mm forward from where my present base grooves position it, so the adapter has to overhang to the front and be about 5/16 thick to allow the clamps to get a grip on it

Irenaeus

> by the way, a few have suggested I make an adapter that would fit onto the bottom of the base, have the same grooves and another tripod socket, but made so that when fitted to a tripod via screw or clamp, the lens nodal point would be on the tripod pan rotation axis. <

This looks like a great idea, and I, for one, would definitely be interested!

I wonder, though, Jim, if you could also offer a substitute upright portion of the L plate that would accomplish the same goal with the camera mounted in a vertical position? (That's the orientation I personally prefer to use for panos as it gives 50% more image height at the cost of making and stitching only a few more exposures per pass.)

Since this "Nodal Point L Plate" looks like it would be easily removable and replaceable, one could leave it off for carrying around and for hand held work and then put it on only when specifically intending to do panos.

Hope that might work. If so, put me down for one!

All the best,

Irenaeus

jlm

Workshop Member
that would certainly work; it would stick out about an 1" past the front of the camera

i'll look into it

Irenaeus

Thanks, Jim, for looking into it.

I'd be surprised, of course, if you'd been able to do much about it over the holidays. Since I'm going to visit my family in Florida in a couple of weeks, however, I'd still like to ask if there's any hope of a product in sight by then?

If not, I'll wait.

All the best,

Tom