The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DP2M - Up-rezzing in SPP for A2 prints

pflower

Anyone got any experience of exporting tiffs from SPP as double size in order to print at A2 size?

I suppose it shows how little attention I have paid to SPP, but I have only just noticed that one of the options is to save the files at double size.

I am planning on trying a number of A2 prints from my DP2M. My normal workflow is to get a same sized 16 bit tiff out of SPP and into LR4. In LR4 the same sized tiff at A2 size shows a ppi of just over 200. The double sized tiff is just over 400ppi.

According to Michael Reichmann and Jeff Schewe's tutorials on LR4 the optimum workflow is - if above 180ppi set the resolution in LR to 360 (I am using an Epson 3880) and if above 360 then set the resolution to 720.

My question is whether SPP does a better job of up-rezzing than LR and whether for larger prints I am better off exporting as double size or just use the same sized tiff. I am well aware that the only real way of answering this is to try both methods myself, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience and could offer any observations.

Thanks

Rand47

Why not just let LR4 do the math for you in the print module? It's very good.
I print 17x25" prints from 16 bit tiffs brought into LR4.3 and they are beautiful detailed & tight. Merely tell LR to send 360 to my Epson 4880.

Rand

Last edited:

davemillier

The usual advice from the DPReview Sigma gurus is that the SPP double size option works but it uses a crude uprezzing method so other options might be preferable.

I wouldn't have thought that A2 is too demanding for the sensor so lightroom defaults are probably fine.

If you find problems with jaggies that you don't like, Photozoom's uprez is good at suppressing them.

Kirk Candlish

+1 for Photozoom.

My testing has suggested that getting out of SPP with a minimum of work on the file is the best method at the moment.

W.Utsch

Just let LR4 make the up-rezzing for you. The files printed at A2 on 3800 will look great.
As others i can recommend PhotoZoom 5.0 pro or Perfect Resize. I use both but i do not think that is really necessary with the DPM files, they have NO problem being printed at A2+ (=as big as i can print on my 3800). They look still much better than prints from NEX7 or 5DMkII.

Brian Mosley

Has anyone tried Qimage? I seem to remember Mike Chaney did some work to support the Foveon sensor in his software.

Cheers

Brian