The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP3M

toledo1960

Wonderful shots everyone. I'm jealous. Me, I am home waiting for a delivery guy and working on a technique I want to use in landscape shots.

I shot 29 frame pano to play up on the foveon effect using the Brenizer technique. I am new to panos so be kind ;)

I also included shooting sequence to help new people like me.

Results seem to be subtle 3-d with f2.8 as opposed to f1.2-1.4 usually used for this. I prefer subtle for landscape.

Sorry for watermark .. i'm still deciding if I will get ptgui.

Also, need to fix that stitching error. I fixed some of the control points, but, no go.

I really should have used a multi-row pano setup, but, only have single-row.

Guess what delivery guy I am waiting for?

Edit:
Also, forgot to mention - if you shoot manual exposure, be aware that there is a safety shift to higher aperture if you exceed 1/2000 sec shutter. The camera will stop-down the aperture and you may not notice. I didn't and ended up shooting my first batch at f5.6! It was comical when I started reviewing the images and wondering why my depth of field was so off. Habits die hard ... i am so used to 1/8000 shutters and blinking exposure settings when hitting limits.

Last edited:

Rich M

Very nice Rich. Did you get a 3rd holster for the DP3M?:)
Oh Carl.....you know me SO well.....another OpTech neoprene pouch, another grip from Richard and another Lance strap (of a different color). I literally can throw all three into my messenger bag and know which one is which to grab. :D

I also ordered a $5 metal tele-lens hood with cap from China. Should work out OK.

The DP3M is quite the different beast from its siblings. The colors are truer. I had to upgrade to SPP 5.5 in order to process the RAW files. They seem to need so little correction. In fact the last five shots I posted from the botanical gardens needed no further correction in LR.

R

Last edited:

scho

Oh Carl.....you know me SO well.....another OpTech neoprene pouch, another grip from Richard and another Lance strap (of a different color). I literally can throw all three into my messenger bag and know which one is which to grab. :D

I also ordered a $5 metal tele-lens hood with cap from China. Should work out OK.

The DP3M is quite the different beast from its siblings. The colors are truer. I had to upgrade to SPP 5.5 in order to process the RAW files. They seem to need so little correction. In fact the last five shots I posted from the botanical gardens needed no further correction in LR.

R
That has been my experience as well. If exposure is OK, essentially no PP needed after export from SPP 5.5.

scho

GIFs Gulls in park jumping up and down, in place - practice take-off/landing?

Purple Oxalis

scho

Nicely done. Really picked up the subtle blush in the petals.
Thank you, yes the blossom color is quite delicate and easy to blow out next to the dark shades in the leaves.
Carl.....I can see in this shot....compared to the one you took with the DP2M, that this renders quite differently.
R
Yes, colors do seem to render differently in the DP3M images and more accurate as well.

W.Utsch

No final verdict now.

I tend to say equal to the 2M, but have to use it more.

Differences i noted so far:

Color rendition is (little?) different
I overexpose my 2 by 0.7 EV there is no need to do that on the 3 (A mode)
Auto WB is more on the warmer side with the 3, specially indoors

Whats equal:

There CAN be banding in the shadows
There CAN be the "infamous" magenta/green blotches in shadows (mostly at high ISO i.e. 800+ .... i handle both problems in post - if any)
The lens is superb!!

I love both M's. The 30 and 50 mm are very versatile and fit both very good in my kind of photography.

Hulyss Bowman

I agree with W.

Anyway, it is THE DP I wanted since years so I'm happy with it, especially studio. I'm ok for some years now :D