The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP3M

biglouis

I can't speak to that 1:1 ratio, but for those detail-oriented photogs, this camera should make them pleased.

BTW I have done some self-portraits with the DP2M (for trying out lighting scenarios) and I have definitely seen more detail of myself that I'd ever want to see again! :D
You can always use the clarity slider in LR in the opposite direction!

LouisB

pophoto

What intrigues me most is that on several occasions in the 'fun with DP2M' thread posters asked for a model with a focal length like the DP3M.

Perhaps Sigma is one of the few manufacturers actually following threads at GerDPI?
WAIT, is just me or does this focal length/macro combination BEG for some form of Image Stabilization built in? (Come on, get it right SIGMA!)

simonstucki

WAIT, is just me or does this focal length/macro combination BEG for some form of Image Stabilization built in? (Come on, get it right SIGMA!)
yes it is just you :)

I definitely didn't want a tripod permanently attached to that camera. no thank you.

Kirk Candlish

I can't wait to check it out. There have been many times when I was shooting with the DP2M and wished I had a longer lens.

I'm ready. Bring it on!

Kofronj

There's a couple reason I could see for not including IS. First of all, it uses electrons, and there's no one complaining about their Sigma batteries lasting too long. The second reason is that IS is a compromise with regards to sharpness (it can actually degrade it---the system is 'working' when it doesn't need to).

It's another example of Sigma shooting for a specific niche. Excellent image quality, a great lens, a known quantity with regards to the sensor and ergonomics of the camera. Some people are going to love it, others will pass it by. I'm guessing that no one will be disappointed about the quality of the images you can make with it.

Jim

biglouis

Anyone tempted to get one?

I might be. I think it would make a great dedicated landscape camera.

I mean, you could spend the same amount of money on a lens for any system you name or you could get the DP3M - as long as you view it as a lens with a digital sensor attached.

Just my thoughts.

LouisB

JSRockit

I've thought about adding another DP to my DP2m, but the lack of LR support stops me from doing it. It's bad enough dealing with one DP...and that one is worth it, but not sure if I want to go all out.

simonstucki

I mean, you could spend the same amount of money on a lens for any system you name or you could get the DP3M - as long as you view it as a lens with a digital sensor attached.

Just my thoughts.

LouisB
very much tempted yes. unfortunately my bank account has a word in this too an it isn't nearly as enthusiastic as I am... I guess I'll have to give it a little time to think things over. because I think the dp3m is a very good thing for the bank account, you can't hardly go any higher in quality and there is no temptation to buy five more lenses for it. :)

ah and I agree about the "lens with a sensor attached" theory/reasoning. if you want a 75 equivalent lens with the same or better resolution you have to pay at least 4 times as much at the moment.

kuau

Workshop Member
LouisB
I agree with you.
I am looking forward to this camera,

Just my thoughts.

LouisB

sinwen

I think the Brenizer method is more accurately described as a way to increase sensor size, since that is what it really does I think. ......
Using a different focal lenght give a very different perspective, depth of field etc.... The same area is shot but the final result cannot be compared.

simonstucki

Using a different focal lenght give a very different perspective, depth of field etc.... The same area is shot but the final result cannot be compared.

no, the perspective is only dependent on the distance to the subject. the focal length determines the reproduction ratio (on the sensor) at a given distance and in combination with the aperture the depth of field (again at a given distance of course and of course dependent on the resolution of the print/digital image).

an 90mm can be a ultrawideangle (8x10"), a normal lens (6x7), a telephoto (35mm, aps-c, mft) or a supertelephoto (compact camera sensor) depending on how (what max. angle of view) the lens is designed.

Quentin_Bargate

Who cares about the so called Brenizer method this thread was supposed to be about the DP3m :D

Of course I will buy one. I'm addicted to the Merrils. However one is getting to the point of asking Sigma why not do what Leica did and design a lens with three fixed focal lengths? Three cameras is getting a little too much, methinks.

And yes, it will be good for panos, possibly even better for ultra high resolution panos at the DP2M is.

Quentin

Last edited:

Quentin_Bargate

DP3 is the best looking of the Merrills. Not sure if that qualifies as a reason to buy one, but it would be potentially good for head and shoulder portraits.

simonstucki

Of course I will buy one. I'm addicted to the Merrils. However one is getting to the point of asking Sigma why not do what Leica did and design a lens with three fixed focal lengths? Three cameras is getting a little too much, methinks.
Quentin
actually only the 28-35-50 is a lens with 3 focal lengths, the 16-18-21 is a zoom lens that can also be used at any focal length. (I don't know about any quality issues between the marked focal lengths) and of course with a rangefinder you have only viewfinder frame lines for certain discrete focal lengths.

but that is not my whole point, I think the real problem would be image quality or price. only of them can be pleasing at the same time :)

however as a forth version for lets say $ 4500 that might be a good idea. would be quite bulky of course but still smaller than all three cameras together.
on the other hand for $4500 you could get a d800 plus 3 decent 1.8 primes and you'd probably (I'd really like if someone compared those two cameras, I would be especially interested in the corners) have an even better image quality.

Quentin_Bargate

That's the lens I was referring to. I took both the current Merrils to Morocco and probably would have also taken a DP3 if one had existed then. All a bit mad, but then again, they are on to something. I only hope they capitalise on their success with newer and even better designs in the next few years. Not that I am complaining....

corposant

That's the lens I was referring to. I took both the current Merrils to Morocco and probably would have also taken a DP3 if one had existed then. All a bit mad, but then again, they are on to something. I only hope they capitalise on their success with newer and even better designs in the next few years. Not that I am complaining....
Quentin - do you have any thoughts on the Merrills as travel cameras? How much more did you use the DP1M over the DP2M? I don't ordinarily make composite images, but the DP2M seems to lend itself well to it - it makes me wonder how well one could travel with just the DP2M...