The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP3M

Quentin_Bargate

I still see a greenish cast to some of the low light shots in the "Prague"series. That does not worry me because I can correct for it it but I am a bit surprised Sigma have not done so for these shots.

Hulyss Bowman

Hello,

I'm new to this forum, just to say I will have the DP3 Merrill in early March (release date in France). As many of you, I'm foveon addict since Sigma SD9 and can't stop using it.

I sold my DP2 Merrill to fund my DP3m because I'm a long focal guy. So, If you are a long focal guy, I think this 75 mm equivalent will be outstanding; Leica class at least.

It will be the ideal gear for light reproduction work, even pack shoot (Had some contracts lately and did some with the DP2m but he was too short).

For portrait work, we will see.

Anyway, can't wait having mine; as Quentin say, he is the sexiest of the DP :p

raist3d

I still see a greenish cast to some of the low light shots in the "Prague"series. That does not worry me because I can correct for it it but I am a bit surprised Sigma have not done so for these shots.
What concerns me most is still seeing magenta/green splotches. But some shots are really good.

Their brochure is pretty well done.

- Raist

raist3d

Hello,

I'm new to this forum, just to say I will have the DP3 Merrill in early March (release date in France). As many of you, I'm foveon addict since Sigma SD9 and can't stop using it.

I sold my DP2 Merrill to fund my DP3m because I'm a long focal guy. So, If you are a long focal guy, I think this 75 mm equivalent will be outstanding; Leica class at least.

It will be the ideal gear for light reproduction work, even pack shoot (Had some contracts lately and did some with the DP2m but he was too short).

For portrait work, we will see.

Anyway, can't wait having mine; as Quentin say, he is the sexiest of the DP :p
I have to admit to you the new focal length is making me think, since I realize more of my street life is on the longer focal length. I am pretty sure portraits will be more than doable with this. Pocket-ability in pants is pretty much forsaken given the lens size, but a coat pocket should be ok.

- Raist

raist3d

Bit boring. Not sure why that focal length is of much use. It certainly is not the "allrounder" as the link suggests, more of an oddball.
Well to me a longer focal length is interesting. But also to note is that the lens has some telephoto macro capabilities, which is good (8.xx inches at 75mm equivalent).

- Raist

raist3d

What intrigues me most is that on several occasions in the 'fun with DP2M' thread posters asked for a model with a focal length like the DP3M.

Perhaps Sigma is one of the few manufacturers actually following threads at GerDPI?
Umm don't kid yourself :) This was already planned.

- Raist

raist3d

Who cares about the so called Brenizer method this thread was supposed to be about the DP3m :D

Of course I will buy one. I'm addicted to the Merrils. However one is getting to the point of asking Sigma why not do what Leica did and design a lens with three fixed focal lengths? Three cameras is getting a little too much, methinks.

And yes, it will be good for panos, possibly even better for ultra high resolution panos at the DP2M is.

Quentin
A camera with three fixed or even two fixed focal lengths is a dream to me.

- Raist