The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP3M

adsf

Ok... Now i got it. DP2m banding only happens for me when there is really hard contrast or areas that are overexposured and darker areas around it... If there is no such hard transition, there is no banding.

Sorry for talking blabla and deleting it again...
I bet i can trick the dp3 into banding also. But i havent got one.

Last edited:

corposant

After looking at the DP3M sample images on the website, I don't really understand how much different color is from the DP2M. I'm not saying "you're wrong," just expressing some skepticism.

Hulyss Bowman

Colors are very different from the site. Might be a "last minute" tweak, but, as I say, I got the DP2m (Or I have a magical unit).

Kyndel

I agree. IS = BS.
No, it is not if you use it right, but Jim is right it can degrade, if you do not use it properly.

I can only speak for Nikons VR, my own experience here, and also Lloyd Chambers long and thorough test.

You have to work with it to get the real benefit, but then there is a huge benefit.

Do not use it on tripod, and do not use it, when you normally can handheld it with the shutter speed, only use it wih slower shutter speed, than you normally not can handheld, and then you get really fine benefit from it.

The issue is - I think - that if you use it on tripod or with a shutter speed you c a n handheld fine, then it corrects for a problem, that is not there, and that shows up,

...but if you use it when you can not handheld it properly it corrects the right way.

Hulyss Bowman

Here is my initial report of the DP3 Merrill. Enjoy the read (and pardon my French, this is my first review ever ^^). Once I have finished my mountain of work I will share photos with you and we will speak less technical :p

Sigma DP3 Review

biglouis

Here is my initial report of the DP3 Merrill. Enjoy the read (and pardon my French, this is my first review ever ^^). Once I have finished my mountain of work I will share photos with you and we will speak less technical :p

Sigma DP3 Review
Great review.

One question which applies to both studio and any tripod work. How do you fire the shutter? There is not remote cable as far as I am aware. I really would like a remote shutter release for my landscape work. At present I just set the delay timer to 2 seconds.

LouisB

Hulyss Bowman

Thorkil
Re: Sigma DP3M
Splendid review, Hulyss.
Thorkil
Great review Hulyss and gorgeous studio shots.
Thank you guys :)

ustein
Some DP3M shots.
Will be a major struggle to resist this camera.
Welcome to the club Ustein and very nice photos :)

biglouis

Great review.

One question which applies to both studio and any tripod work. How do you fire the shutter? There is not remote cable as far as I am aware. I really would like a remote shutter release for my landscape work. At present I just set the delay timer to 2 seconds.

LouisB
For now, if my shoots are over 1/50 of a sec, I use my fingers. Otherwise, I use the timer. I do not see any need of other trigger (for now). I'm sure some smart *** will find a way to accommodate a cable release trigger on a M :)

I can still see green parts (wall / model hands)
I invite you to calibrate your monitor (as I do every days). There is no green parts on the wall and what is blue/green on the hand is just because I used tree different light sources, one of them was 1k higher in temperature. The problem is due to my set up, not the camera ;)

But please, I think we, here, are enough educated to not go into endless technical discussions. I started it, yes, but because it is necessary to understand the beast. Now I prefer orientating the thread on composition and photo only, to respect the spirit of GDPI forums. Hope you understand :)

Last edited:

pophoto

Sigma DP3 Review
Your review and samples are certainly enough to sell the camera to me alone, now if I can put my baby girl down long enough to reach for my waaaalle...