The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP3M

ustein

Contributing Editor
I think the DP2M is most versatile (about 50mm) for me, The DP1M is most often too wide and the DP3M is nice. In the old days Nikon in the 1970s we loved the 85mm the most. But you style I think would also be open for the DP1M.

Hulyss Bowman

You mean DP3M? I like it a lot but only did handheld shots. I think it is at least as good as DP2M. Will send it back soon though. We are debating to buy one.
Stop debating. I know you want it :p

(No, this is not dust spot, this is snow falling).

Michiel Schierbeek

That's funny, I used to photograph with a Nikkormat in the early 70ths and the only lens I had was the 105/2.5
Costed a fortune but I loved it and still have it. Actually I inhereted another one and have two now. :eek:

ustein

Contributing Editor
>That's funny, I used to photograph with a Nikkormat in the early 70ths and the only lens I had was the 105/2.5

We had two F2s with 85mm and 105mm (we are two people).

pophoto

I first edit the most I can in SPP (or LR with Nikon gear) then I tweak in that Paint.NET - Free Software for Digital Photo Editing.

If I'm happy, I'm happy (normal you would say :) ) If I'm not happy I make a run into CS6 and try to find what I want, but generaly it work out 95 % of the time nicely out of Paint.net.
Hi Hulyss,

Why not just take a run into CS6 and call it a day! What's the advantage of Paint.NET?

Thank you,
Po

Hulyss Bowman

Hi Hulyss,

Why not just take a run into CS6 and call it a day! What's the advantage of Paint.NET?

Thank you,
Po
Hello Po,

Paint.net is free. That mean I can travel to see a client every where on this planet, downloading it, installing it on whatever machine and then obtain the same rendering.

Even if I can pay many gear, I tend to rely more on my skills and "analogue/biological" things than technology because, even in "foodwork", I tend to always work at an artistic level.

But I'm a commercial photographer. In my head there is a conflict between commercial (money) and artistic (sharing).

Well, you get it. I'm a bit touched :D:chug:

pophoto

Hello Po,

Paint.net is free. That mean I can travel to see a client every where on this planet, downloading it, installing it on whatever machine and then obtain the same rendering.

Even if I can pay many gear, I tend to rely more on my skills and "analogue/biological" things than technology because, even in "foodwork", I tend to always work at an artistic level.

But I'm a commercial photographer. In my head there is a conflict between commercial (money) and artistic (sharing).

Well, you get it. I'm a bit touched :D:chug:
I honestly get it, but since you have CS6 I wondered why! :)
Honestly it doesn't matter what you use, like you say, it's all in the art and I agree.

Po

toledo1960

Got my DP3M last night and did a quick stress test to see how the camera compares to the DP2M.
Shot macro in golden hour southwest laser like light. Usually shoot this light around -.7 but tried +.7 to see what havoc I could create. Sun was at 2 o'clock.
Unfortunately shot hand held (dont have an L plate yet) and did'nt stop to check if my Dp2M L plate/grip fits. I assume it should.

Auto WB fairly accurate (maybe a bit warm) and processed using vivid colors. Vivid colors may have some more use now.

Jury still out if desaturated shadows like DP2M. I clipped them to make the shot more presentable.

Interesting bokeh ... Heptagon collage anyone?

Overall me likey.

SPP settings below plus some medium contrast tone curve adjustments in LR.

Exposure Mode: A - Aperture Priority AE
Exposure Compensation: +0.7
ISO Setting: 100
White Balance Setting: Auto
Color Mode: Vivid (ex-Neutral)
Flash: Off
Shutter Speed: 1/50
Aperture Value: F4.0
Metering Mode: Evaluative Metering
Focus Setting: AF-S - Single Auto Mode
Focal Length: 50 mm
Resolution: HI