The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP3M

Hulyss Bowman

Thank you and all others for the nice feedback. But I believe these boxy, black humble DP Merrills simply get the best out of the photographer. I`m seriously considering of selling the M9 and lenses.
This is not a shame to consider that. I know that many purists can't understand but when you love IQ, when you love good glass, the DPs come in very high positions compared to the Ms, even if no telemeter and interchangeable lens ...

How much leicaïsts use their M only with a 50 Summilux or a 75 ?? How many ??

A lot.

The only thing who is missing is very luminous glass on a 24x36 sensor. But My wild guess is that will be possible with foveon, one day, in the future :)

biglouis

Thank you and all others for the nice feedback. But I believe these boxy, black humble DP Merrills simply get the best out of the photographer. I`m seriously considering of selling the M9 and lenses.
Weird, isn't it? I keep assuming I must be mad to reject the thought of building a professional kit around a Nikon D800 or Canon 5DMkIII but I just can't see what advantage they have over the DPxM cameras.

Of course, the camera has to suit your style. It can't be used for sports or action and it really benefits from being used on a tripod.

I can live with that!

LouisB

The Ute

Weird, isn't it? I keep assuming I must be mad to reject the thought of building a professional kit around a Nikon D800 or Canon 5DMkIII but I just can't see what advantage they have over the DPxM cameras.

Of course, the camera has to suit your style. It can't be used for sports or action and it really benefits from being used on a tripod.

I can live with that!

LouisB
Nothing mad about it at all.

Why carry around all that heavy gear when you can get the same or better results w. such a lightweight setup.

All you have to accept are the limitations, i.e. no sports, action, or wildlife
photography.

For Landscapes, other than low-light, it's a dream.

:D

Rich M

Nothing mad about it at all.

Why carry around all that heavy gear when you can get the same or better results w. such a lightweight setup.

All you have to accept are the limitations, i.e. no sports, action, or wildlife
photography.

For Landscapes, other than low-light, it's a dream.

:D
Also, there is a beauty to having a prime lens/sensor dedicated camera. I would have nice primes for a dSLR and shoot a zoom lens instead to avoid switching lenses. Now I can reach into a bag and pull out a wide, normal or short tele......so much easier....all for the price of a 5D3 body.

The Ute

Also, there is a beauty to having a prime lens/sensor dedicated camera. I would have nice primes for a dSLR and shoot a zoom lens instead to avoid switching lenses. Now I can reach into a bag and pull out a wide, normal or short tele......so much easier....all for the price of a 5D3 body.
I bumped into a pro yesterday. He was carrying a heavy medium format setup.

I asked if he knew about the Merrills. He didn't seem all that aware so I explained a little about them to him. Unfortunately for him he seemed committed to carrying around all the heavy stuff.

Hope he knows a good chiropractor and has a good banker.

;)

Quentin_Bargate

I can live with that!

LouisB
Advantage of the D800 is versatility. Actually the D800E and Merrills work well together.

It's the medium format kit I'm dumping :)

W.Utsch

The Cathedral (Dom) at Worms, Rhein (Germany)
This roman church is more than 900 years old, in the 17th century a baroque altar (by Balthasar Neumann) was added.
Took the DP3M and a very small table tripod with head (by Leica), oc no tripods allowed. The cam did very well with long exposures. It was very dark there exposures where between 0.5 to 5 s.

Part 1, the altar ( 2d pic slightly cropped and rectified in PS CS6):

@100%

The detail at 100% on screen, well......
A long time ago, when the Canon 5DMKII was new, i took these images with the Canon - these files don't play in the same league with the Merrill.

ustein

Contributing Editor