The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP3M

Arup

Picked it up two days back, this is my third digital cam. Only recently have I stopped using my Velvia slides with Minolta 9 and 9000 bodies and an assortment of Minolta G lenses. My other two cams are my RX100 and A7R, the later allows me to use my Minolta lenses.

The DP3M has bought Velvia back into my life in the digital realm, just two days of using it is WOW enough for me. Some samples on my Flickr page.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/17731914@N08/

Arup

You're correct! I'm not one who talks much about "that 3D look" (as I think it is mostlly hot air), but in this case that actually is one of the major differences in rendering between the samples I posted.

I own the a900 and love it. It is a very good tool and I own high quality glass from 16mm to 400mm. The versatility is fabulous and that huge and clear OVF is a marvel. It is a work horse and will stay in my stable until it dies a horrible death some day.

I rented the a7r in order to see what all the hub-bub was about. At high ISO it seriously makes the a900 and the DP3 look like junk cameras. In AF speed, and versatility it also makes them seem pre-historic. But for me, it is the ultimate look and feel of the image "on paper" in a fine print that matters and the DP Merrills just can't be beat this side of about 20K $.

The a7r goes back tomorrow and I have zero interest in buying one, now that I've spent some time with it.

Rand
Rand, you say A7R AF is faster than one on a900? BTW, what lens did you use on a900/a7r?
Thats the reason my A7R is being put up for sale, in terms of DSLR its the best out there and nothing comes close but for IQ, resolution its the Merrill all the way till SONY releases their upcoming 50MP in a A7R body.

AlanS

I've been so pleased with the Dp2m I bought a week ago that I got the Dp3m on Friday. I took it to the Lake District this weekend for it's first outing, bit steeper learning curve than the Dp2m but I think we are going to get along alright....

UHDR

Struggled to expose this one. Does anyone have any advice on how to expose trees so that the spaces in between leaves and other parts of the scene do not get washed out. Thanks

DP3M0444-tree 2 by maxx.pace, on Flickr
i would use "fill light" as much as i can in SPP, export as tiff, then fix it in Lightroom 5 (using local adjustment brush). or photoshop. it will be a long and boring process if you want to do it in details. :p almost painting every leaves :D

in extreme cases, i will take two photos (bracketing) +/- 2 EV or even 3EV. then just cut and paste the tree/leaves into the correctly exposed background.

Maxpace

UHDR, thanks for the advice. I'll try both methods (am trying to avoid the HDR look).

Ohlhaus, thanks for the work on the pic. One can certainly see more of the tree trunk. Did you adjust fill light in SPP, or brush in photoshop or did you use any other method?