The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP3M

AlanS

2 more...

I think I need to back off sharpening a bit as Flickr seems to add some (my original jpegs look fine)!

Malina DZ

I think I need to back off sharpening a bit as Flickr seems to add some (my original jpegs look fine)!
Flickr does add a bit of sharpening, especially when you share an image in a smaller resolution than the uploaded original file. I usually upload files to flickr in a max resolution that will be shared elsewhere, e.g. 1280x850. This way extra sharpening is minimal. The compression level can be adjusted by Flickr any minute, of course, making my statement above invalid.

AlanS

Yes I do resize to display size (1200 max), did not know that compression was "variable". This may be the source of the problem, good to know, thanks.

Lainer

[/url]12-11-14 (1873) by Lainey1, on Flickr[/IMG]

At F/4, the DP3M doesn't get both the muzzle and eyes in four like my Nikon Does. Had to bring it up to F/10 when close to Ozzy.

[/url]Daylight by Lainey1, on Flickr[/IMG]

Shoots differently than the DP2M. I find it tends to over expose a bit in Aperture Priority Mode. Am I wrong? Thoughts?

foveon

"At F/4, the DP3M doesn't get both the muzzle and eyes in four like my Nikon Does. Had to bring it up to F/10 when close to Ozzy."
With same sensor size DOF is a matter of magnification and f-stop, not of brand,

Compared to the DP2m I find the AF of the DP3m weaker, about aperture priority mode I dont know, I allways shoot with manual settings.

Lainer

Here is a shot I took today with the Sigma DP3M of my French Bulldog Ozzy. I used the vivid setting in SPP and cut back on some of the saturation in Photoshop. I've only had the camera for three days. I do notice it tends to overexpose so have adjusted in camera setting of -0.3 to start. Anyone have any special settings they wish to share?
[/url]12-12-14 (1874) Lovely Ozzy by Lainey1, on Flickr[/IMG]

Monochrome:
[/url]Lovely Ozzy by Lainey1, on Flickr[/IMG]

Lainer

ISO 1600. I turned off luminance in the Monochrome setting. What else do i need to salvage the file and cut the noise? I know some people get better results. What's the SPP cocktail? I bet this prints well though.
[/url]Sigma DP3M- ISO 1600 by Lainey1, on Flickr[/IMG]

Malina DZ

Anyone have any special settings they wish to share?
What metering mode do you use? Switch them around and see which will work better for your subjects. There is a big luminance difference between foreground and background in these shots. If -0.3EV exp comp. is all that is needed for these shots then your settings are fine.

What's the SPP cocktail?
Take a look at this thread: http://www.getdpi.com/forum/other-cameras/46298-foveon-sensor-better-high-iso-than-i-thought.html

darr

ISO 1600. I turned off luminance in the Monochrome setting. What else do i need to salvage the file and cut the noise? I know some people get better results. What's the SPP cocktail? I bet this prints well though.
[/url]Sigma DP3M- ISO 1600 by Lainey1, on Flickr[/IMG]
This is a lovely B&W photo IMO.
I find a lot of the B&W photography posted today to be too contrasty. This photo has a lot of nice grey tones like a wet print in the old days. :clap:
That is one ADORABLE pup as well!

Kind regards,
Darr

Lainer

Here is today's picture of Ozzy. (I've been photographing him daily for over five years. I have him on Flickr and my own blog site through blogger.)

I prefer the Monochrome version to the color one, but I like both. It was a gloomy day outside here in Arizona. (Yeah, that's odd. It rained and was cloudy out this morning.)

[/url]12-13-14 (1875) Gloomy by Lainey1, on Flickr[/IMG]
[/url]Gloomy by Lainey1, on Flickr[/IMG]

Lainer

This is a lovely B&W photo IMO.
I find a lot of the B&W photography posted today to be too contrasty. This photo has a lot of nice grey tones like a wet print in the old days. :clap:
That is one ADORABLE pup as well!

Kind regards,
Darr
Thank you so much. I agree. I noticed when I first tried the Sigma DP2M a year ago that the B&W photos were like film, had a lot of variances in tones. I missed that! This is why I love the Sigma camera. Also, this printed quite lovely despite being shot at ISO 1600 with quite noticeable noise. I only printed at 5X7 though. Probably would fall apart if I printed large. Anyone know? :talk028: