The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP3M

biglouis

I thought readers of this thread might be interested to see my current 'camera dream team'.

20151219_123423.jpg

On the right, a Leica Q which gives me in effect 28mm-50mm (cropped) coverage and on the left a Sigma DP3M which gives me 75-135mm (cropped) ability. And in a small package which is light and manoeuvrable. I also use a Hoodman Loupe with the DP3M - which is kept in place by the optional elastic strap gadget sold as an optional extra.

But of course, the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

The 'Old Rose' public house, Wapping
_P3M0246.jpg

The top of the 'Working Lads Institute' Whitechapel. I'm showing this because cropped it is still a 7.5mpx file, which is more than adequate for the web (and print publications where I intend to use it).
_P3M0281.jpg

Even though the lens is only a 50mm combined with the APS-C sensor it still exhibits the kind of compression effect that I like to play with. In this case bringing the distinctive towers of the City of London into dramatic pespective with Whitechapel Road.
_P3M0285.jpg

Not really missing the 70-200 which I briefly owned and then sold on.

LouisB

biglouis

I'm so glad I bought back a Sigma DP3M again. This is a little known building in New Road, Whitechapel where the Salvation Army movement was conceived in 1865.

You might want to take a look at a full size jpeg export from LR6 available here (12MB file).
The edge to edge sharpness is incredible as is the detail in the image.

biglouis

I haven't really explored the virtues of the DP3M as a street photograph camera, mainly because I rarely do actual street photography. However, I could not resist seeing what developed around this bizarre message on a hoarding outside the Royal London Hospital in Whitechapel.

I'm wondering if the 75mm lens gives a flatter field (due to compression) which benefits this type of shot. Never thought about it before.

"Indifference to suffering"