The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP3M

biglouis

Malina

No one else is going to reply to so here is my two cents.

The model's hair looks highly detailed. I can't tell if there is some colour drift (you sometimes get faint green blotching in my experience) because she has used highlights. I will say that she washes her hair too much and uses to much in the way of treatments because it looks very brittle.

And there is the rub. I have always been amazed at the ability of the Foveon sensors to capture texture. Imho, they are difficult to better. I think if you are using a DPxM for portrait work you have to be very careful because what might appear to be a beautiful model in a web-sized shot will turn out to be an over-made-up and manicured crone at 100%!

I stick to things like wood, leafs, rope, rusty steel etc! So much less chance to offend!

Louis

Malina DZ

Louis, thank you for a reply.
I understand why DP Merrils are not popular for portraits, and photographers opt-in for something more gentle, yet quite often are obsessed with more MPx and sharper lenses :rolleyes:
I've shot a fair amount of portraits with DP2M and know its pros and cons. The question still remains unanswered as to why Foveon "struggles" with hair detail while it resolves details in greens, e.g. leaves, on a microscope level?
When I zoom in 100% into image to inspect foliage, I do see intricate detail I missed with a naked eye. I can't say the same about observing hair. I'm trying to understand what's at stake here. Insufficient DP Merril's lp/mm properties, Foveon sensor spectral responsivity or something else?

PaulO

Rediscovering the Sigma Merrils

Just returned from a week in Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming. Although I brought (and expected to shoot mostly with) my Canon 5D Mark II, I decided to use my 3 Sigma Merrills for all but telephoto shots. I've got to say for landscapes (mostly on a tripod) this worked very well. To my surprise, I used the DP3M more than the DP2M. I've rediscovered how much more I like the Foveon sensor images compared to what I was getting with the Canon. Fellow photographers thought it was overly sharp, even after I mentioned that no sharpening was used (actually -1.5 in SPP). I also set clarity to -15 in PS!
_P3M0468_2048.jpg

markhout

Pff... tried my luck on high-ISO (640), 1/25 sec, wide open. In color it is a mess, in B&W still fine. Must admit that the noise reduction in PhotoPro is not bad.

Stoneage

Pff... tried my luck on high-ISO (640), 1/25 sec, wide open. In color it is a mess, in B&W still fine. Must admit that the noise reduction in PhotoPro is not bad.
Nice shot.
With the Merrill, ISO 640 in the monochrome mode should work with NR turned off (left)
I always hated NR look, so i turn it off mostly in Sigma Photo Pro.
I guess you know the "blue channel" trick in the monochrome mode?

markhout

I guess you know the "blue channel" trick in the monochrome mode?
Thanks! I know but forgot to give that a shot here. Will do - thanks for the reminder!

UPDATE - There was virtually no difference between B&W conversion using the blue channel method in Sigma Photo Pro 6 and conversion using Silver Efex 2. Seems like Silver Efex 2 uses the blue channel as well.

Last edited:

Stoneage

Thanks! I know but forgot to give that a shot here. Will do - thanks for the reminder!

UPDATE - There was virtually no difference between B&W conversion using the blue channel method in Sigma Photo Pro 6 and conversion using Silver Efex 2. Seems like Silver Efex 2 uses the blue channel as well.
The "blue channel" trick is an SPP feature only. It needs the RAW for the read out of the top layer of the sensor. But i agree, normally, at low ISO the benefit (if there is any) is subtile.
And of course, a color image, converted in Silver Efex gives much more options.
But for high ISO images it can be a nice method.

PaulO

Rabbitbrush, Mesa Verde, Co. Rather than focus stack, I let the background be a bit soft. Will decide if this was a good idea when I make a 16x20. _P3M0668.jpg

PaulO

The Pueblo in Taos, New Mexico. The multi-storied adobe buildings have been continuously inhabited for over 1000 years._P3M0699.JPG