The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fact or fiction with Foveon Merrell sensors

Quentin_Bargate

I also use a polariser and have a set of rarely used Lee soft and hard grad filters. The screw in polariser can be stacked with the low profile Zeta UV filter. similar arrangements with the DP1M

You're a bad person, Louis :D

Jim DE

Louis, ;) I guess old habits die hard with me. I still use them because PS still can't simulate polarizers or the effects achieved by neutral density filters at the time of the shot for waterfalls and such. I also like my old 4x6 gradients even though they are able to be simulated in PS and C1.

Plus some of my polarizers are warming or blue/gold polarizers that have save the day at times when the light just would not cooperate. This type of filter adds color via the specific wavelengths and PS has not been able to simulate that as of yet either. I feel the use of these has added significantly to some my images enough times that I am just not willing to abandon them as yet.

But, I do understand how some may not want to use these anymore the way PP software has evolved.

Thanks again biglouis and Quentin .....

ustein

Contributing Editor
>Does this make me a bad person?

I guess so and because I am in the same boat me too.

kgelner

Really!?!? I would of bet you were using NIK Silver effex pro .... your B&W images are truly exceptional.......

I am going to have to try Paint NET. Right now I have been using a Topaz B&W software.

Thanks for the info Hulyss
Don't forget that along with the DP-3 is going to come a dedicated B&W conversion mode in SPP for all Merrill cameras... (the software release has been announced for the 21st) that may give you the results you seek out of the box, or near to it.

It's going to allow use of virtual color filters, and also control of grain. The main element I don't think it will allow for is vignetting, SPP has never had that control and so that would probably still be done in other software (if desired).

Jim DE

Yeah a customer service rep from Sigma USA made a special effort to inform me of the new up coming software update and how good it is when I reported the sensor spot to them to be documented for my camera's serial number. (I did this so if later I decide to send it in to get the sensor cleaned there will be no issues with if it was a warranty issue or not.... I don't really ever shoot at f13 and smaller and that is where you start it see a faint trace of the spot near the let right rule of thirds intersection).

corposant

The only time I have seen bloches (and it's maybe on 1 or 2 of several hundred images), has been in the shadows. What's interesting is that I only see them in JPGs - when I go back and look at the raws or tiffs, they are not there.

Kirk Candlish

Well maybe I've never seen the blotches on any of my DP2M image because I've been shooting at larger apertures and using a Kenko Zeta UV L41. I bought the filter so that I could shoot at the beach and not have to worry about cleaning the lens. The Zeta series are low profile and allow you to stack a polarizer without vignetting.