The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Stiching with SigmaDPXm

Willow

Hi guys

I was / am thinking about buying a tech camera for architectural and
landscape photography.
But I also have a DP2.
Its a terrific camera and I wonder if it can be used with stitching in
those areas.

Whats the best thing do to to get it right
( panorama head, nodalpoint, software etc )?

Can it in any way replace a tech camera with rise/fall and shift?

Willow

stephen.s1

It'll never replace a view camera.

I use Nodal Ninja 3II and PTgui. Very pleased with all of those when used with my DP2M.

P

Pete_G

Quentin,

That's an INSANE shot. Imagine that image as a 2000 piece jigsaw!

Jim DE

I too just joined the DPXm user's of the Nodal Ninja 3. I have only done one test pano to check my overlap using CS6. I put a 18 stop detent ring in for use with my DP2m (calls for a 15 stop but that is not available in detent rings from NN. Everything seems to look good with this test shot. The pano head did as it was designed to.

Still up in the air about software to ultimately use on my MAC but next shot I will stack my pano and try Hugin till I make up my mind about PTGui or Autopan giga.

Jim DE

Quite possibly I am over thinking this as I have done multiple row panos off just a regular ball-head before and the results were good but I have a question using the NN3 for multi row panos. I assume we all set our NN's up for a straight on pano for its nodal point with the camera and lens we are going to use. Then to do 1 or more additional rows we tilt the pano arm up or down to achieve our desired overlap. Do you all reset the nodal adjustment of the camera to NN at these new arm positions or do you just shoot the rows without readjusting when you reposition the upper arm?

I am guessing the latter and you just let the pano software deal with the slight nodal point variance.

Jim DE

Another pano question........ I am using CS6 and just installed a Hugin freeware a bit ago for my pano stitching.... Seems those I talk to say PTGui is the most popular Pano software but it is basically based on the Hugin software. What will I gain over my current workflow by purchasing a copy of PTGui for $200 usd over what softwares I am currently using. I am doing mostly all vertically oriented format stitching using the nodal Ninja and DP2m. Think the most I will ever use is 3 layers of 6 across(15 stops is 360 deg with the DP2m in vertical orientation) and to date I am mostly getting what I want with one row and 4-8 images.

Thanks in advance for your reply.....

Jim DE

Nevermind, I tried trial versions of both Autopan Giga 3 and PTGui Pro while waiting for a answer here and bought a license for the Autopan Giga 3 early this morning from Nodal Ninja's website. I figured with what softwares I already had that Autopan Giga 3 gave me more options than the PTGui Pro would of (PTGui Pro IS very similar to the Hugin freeware and not enough of a difference to justify the $200 usd to get it over my Hugin freeware). The Autopan Giga for me was far more user friendly and ran faster on my MAC.

When it is all said and done one could not go wrong with either the Autopan Giga 3 or the PTGui Pro and it is sort of a 6 of one and a half a dozen of the other choice. Like choosing between a Dodge or Ford pickup truck.