The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DP Merrill color Landscapes

The Ute

Hint:

I am not going to try to keep this thread going all by myself.

Please feel free to contribute your color landscape photos.

The Ute

Some shots with the DP2M from last year.

Your photos have an almost 3d-like quality. The color renditions are awesome.

The DP2 makes taking photos like these easier than any other camera I have ever had the pleasure to use.

Thanks for sharing them and for contributing to the thread.

:)

Last edited:

chris007

Just got an DP1M for testing. I'm very impressed by the level of detail this small devil can catch :) In this area it outperforms my 5D MkII with TS-E 24mm II easily while I'm not so happy with color rendering.
Here a picture from today:

The Ute

Just got an DP1M for testing. I'm very impressed by the level of detail this small devil can catch :) In this area it outperforms my 5D MkII with TS-E 24mm II easily while I'm not so happy with color rendering.
I'm not surprised it outperformed your Mk II.

Only one it won't is the 800e.

beautiful shot.

Where was it taken ?

The Ute

Forgot to ask.

What was your color setting ?

i.e. Neutral, Standard, etc.

Not sure what your concern on the color rendering is ?

Too much. too little ? Unnatural looking ?

I happen to like the way the photo looks but I didn't take it.

;)

Last edited:

chris007

Where was it taken ?
It was taken in Austria, near the city of Innsbruck in a mountain range called Stubai Alps.

Forgot to ask.

;)
I set "Standard" in camera, but in SPP I changed to "Landscape", because I liked the colors more. WB was set to sunlight and I didn't change that in SPP.
I made the same picture with the 5D.
In the DP1M files had a green color cast in the foreground which I tried to get rid of with SPP, which was not really possible. I converted the file in a .tiff and made local color corrections in Lightroom and Photoshop.
The image from the 5D processed with Lightroom doesn't have this color cast.
If you are interested, here is the 5D-Version:
Old hut in morning light

I must admit that the color cast was very slightly, but it was there. I suppose I'm not experienced enough with SPP to get colors correct :eek:.

Thanks,
Chris

chris007

Forgot to ask.

Thanks Ute,

My in-camera color setting was "Standard", but I changed in SPP to "Landscape" because I liked the overall color more. WB was set to Sunlight, I didn't change that.
The image showed a slight green color cast in the foreground which looked a bit unnatural. I tried to get rid of it using the color adjustment wheel in SPP, but I was not successful. So I converted to .tiff and made local color corrections in Lightroom and PS.
I made the same picture with the 5D and opened it in Lightroom. This picture shows no color cast. If you are interested here is the "Canon"-Version of the picture:
Old hut in morning light

I must mention that the color cast was very slightly, but it was there. I suppose I'm not that experienced with SPP as I'm with Lightroom :eek:.

Thanks,
Chris

chris007

Forgot to ask.

;)
My color setting in camera was "Standard". I changed it to "Landscape" afterwards in SPP, because I liked the colors more. I had a green color cast in the foreground, which I couldn't get rid of with the color adjustment wheel in SPP. So I exported a .tiff file and made local color corrections in Lightroom/Photoshop.

I photographed the same scene with the 5D and developed the picture in Lightroom. There I had never had this green color cast. I must admit the color cast was slightly, but it was there. I suppose I'm not as experiences using SPP :eek:

If you are interested, I posted the picture from the 5D on my blog (link in signature).

Thanks,
Chris

The Ute

My color setting in camera was "Standard". I changed it to "Landscape" afterwards in SPP, because I liked the colors more. I had a green color cast in the foreground, which I couldn't get rid of with the color adjustment wheel in SPP. So I exported a .tiff file and made local color corrections in Lightroom/Photoshop.

I photographed the same scene with the 5D and developed the picture in Lightroom. There I had never had this green color cast. I must admit the color cast was slightly, but it was there. I suppose I'm not as experiences using SPP :eek:

If you are interested, I posted the picture from the 5D on my blog (link in signature).

Thanks,
Chris
A number of people have reported the green color phenomenon although I have never experienced it myself.

As you pointed out I was told it can easily be removed in lightroom, etc.
so it's no big deal.

If that was your only concern then it doesn't sound like much of a problem.

The resolution and micro detail from these cameras is outstanding especially when you consider their weight/price.

If you use them within their window of operation they are very difficult to outperform.

Only a Nikon D800 will match or exceed.

if you want over the top type color try the foveon blue setting.

You never answered my other question.

Where was your photo taken ?