The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DP Merrill color Landscapes

biglouis

Chris

Very lovely shot. Both the Sigma DP1M and the 5D shot are very good. The 5D does not appear to have blown the highlights as much as the Sigma but I suspect if you lowered the exposure in SPP and boosted with fill light you might match the 5D. One thing which sways me at my age in favour of the DP1M is not having to lug the 5D up the side of the mountain!

LouisB

chris007

You never answered my other question.

Where was your photo taken ?
I'm sorry, I answered your question in the first of my posts. But due the link to my blog posted there, it needed a moderator to verify it. But after 2 days I thought the post will never show up and I made a new one without the link. And here I have forgotten to write the location.

As mezzoduomo mentioned it was in Austria, near the city of Innsbruck.

Next time I will know it better :eek:

Thanks for your detail answer. You're right, the slight color cast is a minor problem. The colors differ a bit from what I get from the 5D. But it's hard to say which way is the better one :)

Thanks,
Chris

chris007

Chris

Very lovely shot. Both the Sigma DP1M and the 5D shot are very good. The 5D does not appear to have blown the highlights as much as the Sigma but I suspect if you lowered the exposure in SPP and boosted with fill light you might match the 5D. One thing which sways me at my age in favour of the DP1M is not having to lug the 5D up the side of the mountain!

LouisB

Thanks Louis, you nailed it. It's the weight of a FF Camera and the other equipment that made me think of a one (or two) of the small Sigma DPm's.
To be honest I hover between a Fuji X-E1 and the Sigma DP1m. While image quality is clear better on the Sigma, overall performance is better on the Fuji.
Especially long exposures >30sec. and the bad battery life are the shortcomings of the Sigma.

Chris

The Ute

I think we all can agree that you need to use the Merrills within their "operating window"
to get the most of them.

They are not a good low light camera for example.

That is where a camera like the Mk II would easily outpeform a DP.

That said, IMO you cannot add resolving power. You can much more easily adjust color and saturation.

With that in mind, I have to say the DP's are the superior camera especially when weight and cost are taken into account.

The DP2 is better than the DP1 IMO.

Sharp corner to corner.

I love using these cameras. They make taking great shots so much easier.

:)

The Ute

Here's a few I took w my DP1 today.

Taken in a local slot canyon adjacent to Kolob Canyons of Zion NP.

Last edited:

tsdevine

Thanks Ute, this was taken on a little stream that feeds into the Susquehanna River near Holtwood Dam (York County Pennsylvania.)

-Tim

tsdevine

Same waterfall, different angle. Believe it or not, taken back on January 13th. Shot with a DP2M....I think with just a circular polarizer.

-Tim

stevew50

We bought a second home for retirement in Mariposa, about 45miles to Yosemite. Now to just get to retirement.

stevew50

On the one shot with the DP1M, it looks like I goofed editing on my laptop, hard to get the correct viewing angle. Here is what it should look like.

The Ute

I have 2 questions for anyone who might know the answers :

I seem to be almost out of space to post photos on here. Is there a limit ? And if so, can it be enlarged ?

Are we allowed to post our personal Gallery links here ?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

chris007

A panorama from an overnight trip in the Stubai mountains (Tyrol, Austria). The picture was made from 8 frames out of a DP1m and stitched together with PTGui. This artificial lake is called "Finstertaler Stausee" located near Kühtai.

Last edited: