The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DP Merrill color Landscapes

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Darr,

That's very interesting. My approach to the Sigma's is exactly the same as you. I've been looking to pick up this trio for a while and that opportunity came up recently. I know about the limitations of the camera system but also it's sweet spot which just happens to match my shooting style anyway. I wanted a purely landscape outfit to complement my Alpa/IQ260 in a much smaller package. So far I've been very impressed with the results albeit through the disjointed SPP vs C1 Pro but I can't really criticize the output from SPP. I just wish that it wouldn't crash so often though.

I have a Think Tank Mirrorless Mover 3.0 which holds my DP1M, DP2M and DP3M plus a spot meter and a bag full of batteries. I have a loupe but do shoot it off of a full size tripod/Arca head. I've been shooting the Alpa and Sigma's side by side for the last week to compare the results - well obviously there's a big difference due to the technical camera lenses and the extra resolution but as far as I'm concerned, in good light, the results are like a lower resolution technical camera.

I've been providing entertainment for onlookers when out shooting because I'll have my MF gear on one tripod and another similar sized tripod with a little pimple on top that I'll swap between seemingly identical bodies since I'm essentially still testing the system out. I'm VERY pleased with it so far. There have been some colour quirks that I need to work through in post-sunset red glows blowing out the image but that may just be my competency with SPP for now. The speed of the camera is no problem at all for my type of shooting as I'm used to it anyway.

I look forward to sharing more images soon as I build up experience with the DP-M family.

Last edited:

darr

I've been providing entertainment for onlookers when out shooting because I'll have my MF gear on one tripod and another similar sized tripod with a little pimple on top that I'll swap between seemingly identical bodies since I'm essentially still testing the system out.
That would be a site for onlookers. :)

After I went through the initiation phase, I decided to downgrade my Gitzo 1541's head with an RRS BH25 head and leave it in the trunk of my car for the Merrills. I spent the last 12 months or so slimming down my gear closet after I realized the Merrills were going to replace my Nikon gear. I know some photographers hang onto their gear even when they do not use it on a regular basis, but for me they are tools and I only keep what I use. I did eventually buy a SD1 Merrill for studio use and have not taken it out to see how it does in the landscape because I am spoiled by the DPMs. I currently use the SD1M in the studio for fine art projects and in that environment it works well for my needs.

BTW, I also bought a RRS Pocket Pod for the Merrills and it has given me a whole new perspective to shoot from, if only getting up and down in the dirt doesn't get to me so much. :LOL:

I did purchase the aftermarket EVF from China, but find I like the Hoodman Loupe better, but I can see where some photographers may enjoy using it. If you are interested in trying out the EVF, shoot me a PM and I'll ship it out to you.

I am thrilled you bought into the system because I have felt in the right photographer's hands, these little beauties are remarkable with all things considered. Enjoy!

Kind regards,
Darr

GrahamWelland

Columbia River Sunset

The Sigma raws can be a bit funky I'm finding. Even in neutral color setting I'm getting some strange emphasized shadow transitions in the sky even with a straight unprocessed X3F file with no adjustments. I thought I'd over processed the contrast in the clouds but that's how it is in the raw file so I'm a little perplexed.

DP2M f/11 1/4s ISO 100

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

DP3M f/11 1/8s ISO 100 - yup, it really was that pink. No PP, stright from SPP into PS CC2014 and save for printing.

darr

Columbia River Sunset

The Sigma raws can be a bit funky I'm finding. Even in neutral color setting I'm getting some strange emphasized shadow transitions in the sky even with a straight unprocessed X3F file with no adjustments. I thought I'd over processed the contrast in the clouds but that's how it is in the raw file so I'm a little perplexed.
I do not process my files through SPP, but some who do, unsharpen them some. I load the Raws into SPP and process them as TIFs and then post-process the TIFs in LR or C1. To me, SPP is the weakest link in the Sigma chain and embarrassingly so.

darr

DP3M f/11 1/8s ISO 100 - yup, it really was that pink. No PP, stright from SPP into PS CC2014 and save for printing.

The Foveon sensor IMO is capable of incredible color reproduction, thus my biggest attraction to the Merrill system. I have been able to capture intricate and delicate color that no other system, digital or film, has done for me before. Sometimes the sharpness of the files need to be tamed, and learning the limits of the Foveon's tolerances is akin to shooting slide film. It can be at times a different set of workflow steps then the typical digital workflow, but it can be well worth it.

The Ute

I do not process my files through SPP, but some who do, unsharpen them some. I load the Raws into SPP and process them as TIFs and then post-process the TIFs in LR or C1. To me, SPP is the weakest link in the Sigma chain and embarrassingly so.
I don't totally agree here Darr.

One thing SPP is excellent for is recovering shadow detail via the X3F fill light
slider.

I intentionally will underexpose some because I know the power I can find there.

Other than that I tend to agree w you.

Batch process the Raw's into Tiffs and then season to one's own taste in a good post processing program like LR or Topaz.

I find X3F almost endlessly flexible and highly malleable.

:)

darr

I don't totally agree here Darr.

One thing SPP is excellent for is recovering shadow detail via the X3F fill light
slider.

I intentionally will underexpose some because I know the power I can find there.

Other than that I tend to agree w you.

Batch process the Raw's into Tiffs and then season to one's own taste in a good post processing program like LR or Topaz.

I find X3F almost endlessly flexible and highly malleable.

:)
Different strokes for different folks; its all about being creative. :)

GrahamWelland

How did you meter? DP2m is set to 1/4, DP3m to 1/8?
I meter manually. Probably just because I changed cameras and shot the DP3M first and then with the DP2M I opened up a stop to fill the histogram a bit more.

Btw, why the heck did Sigma disable the live histogram in manual exposure mode? That makes no sense to me. I appreciate having it in PAS modes but why not manual too? :facesmack:

retow

From a road trip with DP1M & DP2Quattro. These are from the DP1M & Ricoh 0.75 wide angle adapter, i.e. providing a 21mm equivalent fov.