The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma SD/DP Merrill vs your other camera

Malina DZ

Let's post comparison shots between SD/DP Merrills and Bayer sensor cameras with similar/close focal distances to give those who don't have a Merrill yet, a good reason to consider (or disregard) one. Links to full resolution, uncropped JPGs are highly appreciated since web format doesn't always reveal the potential of Foveon sensor.

Here's my comparison: DP2M vs Sony a850+50/1.4

vieri

I did such a comparison a while ago, when in Venice, between the DP1 & DP2 Merrill on one side and the Sony Nex-7 equipped with Sigma lenses on the other, in the attempt of equalizing the field as much as possible and show the differences in sensors.

Here some samples from that comparison, you can read the whole thing ON MY BLOG.

Nex-7, Sigma 30mm f2.8

Sigma DP2 Merrill

Nex-7, Sigma 30mm f2.8

Sigma DP2 Merrill

Nex-7, Sigma 30mm f2.8

Sigma DP2 Merrill

I found the Merrills to be MUCH sharper and detailed; colours are very different, and Sigma DPP is a bit of a pain to use. By the way, I just printed today a few A3 sized images out of the Merrill and the Sony for clients: at this size, they both look great, but the Merrill still has some advantage in micro-contrast and fine details despite having printed the Merrills at 240 dpi and the Sony's at 36 dpi. Last week I printed some test A2 for myself, and the Merrill came out definitely better. Sigma is really onto something with these little cameras, while I think they should change their strategy in DSLR, I think it would be great if they made F-mount and EOS-mounts FF cameras aimed at landscape and studio photographers :D

scho

Please stop this madness !!!

This is cruel for the other brands !
+1. I have two other cameras (Leica M-E and Fuji X-E1) that I'm currently using (occasionally) along with the Merrills, but I won't embarrass them by posting comparisons. Both are nice cameras and fun to use, but they just do not produce image quality comparable to the DPxMs.

@ W.Utsch

all comparison images are taken on different days.

I would love to see comparison shots made within the same hour one after the other to eliminate any influence of weather and light.

ggibson

Wow, check out the texture of the wood/paint on the left side of the door. Amazing how much detail Foveon brings out that the others merely hint at.

biglouis

What surprises me is that the OMD with 12-35 is far superior to the Leica M8 and the 35/2.

I'm not surprised that the Foveon beats them all but the definition in the OMD and Nex shots are far better than the Leica combination. That I would not have expected.

LouisB

W.Utsch

@4711, thats true - but i don't want to make "scientific" tests. Thats no more fun for me.

I did some more comparisons shots i do not intend to show here because this type of posting gets fast boring.

My findings and verdict will not surprise anybody:

In IQ the Sigma beats all of my other gear by quite a margin. It makes not to much sense to do a "ranking list", all of the other cams (i have to many...) have their strengths and weaknesses.

Since the Sigmas, i am using them 85% or even more, the rest sits on the shelve.

Depending on what you want to shoot, one Sigma (2 or 3) and the OMD with 12-35 and 75/1.8 or Pana 7-14 + Olympus flash , all fits in a pretty small bag and is not to heavy, is a very good basic set.

I like the NEX 7 as well (think the IQ of the NEX7 is a little superior of the OMD) but the lenses and the whole system gives me not the flexibility of the OMD.

retow

@4711, thats true - but i don't want to make "scientific" tests. Thats no more fun for me.

I did some more comparisons shots i do not intend to show here because this type of posting gets fast boring.

My findings and verdict will not surprise anybody:

In IQ the Sigma beats all of my other gear by quite a margin. It makes not to much sense to do a "ranking list", all of the other cams (i have to many...) have their strengths and weaknesses.

Since the Sigmas, i am using them 85% or even more, the rest sits on the shelve.

Depending on what you want to shoot, one Sigma (2 or 3) and the OMD with 12-35 and 75/1.8 or Pana 7-14 + Olympus flash , all fits in a pretty small bag and is not to heavy, is a very good basic set.

I like the NEX 7 as well (think the IQ of the NEX7 is a little superior of the OMD) but the lenses and the whole system gives me not the flexibility of the OMD.
Sounds like a good plan, a combo of the best in IQ (Sigma DPM) with the most versatile tool in the bag (OMD). All the rest for the closet or the marketplace.

Has anybody tried/compared the DP2M vs. the Sigma SD1 with either the new 35/1.4 or 50/1.4 or 85/1.4 or any other lens?

What about the older SD15 (has less MP) in comparison?

I would love to have the DP2M quality in a DSLR body...

Rand47

Anyone out there have a Sony a99 and some Sony Zeiss lenses? I'd love to see a direct comparison at 100%. Sometimes my a900 is "very close" to the detail rendering of my DP2M (but "just" loses), sometimes the 900 wins in lower light / duller light. It always wins above ISO 200. I'm debating getting an a99 to use in low light, faster action to compliment my DP2 and "soon to be" DP3.

Anyone?

retow

As far as I`m concerned, the Sigma Merrills are the least interesting cameras to compare with other makes since the outcome will be too obvious.
If Sigma came out with ilc bodies competitive in all other performance aspects (af, buffer, write time, etc) and some excellent lenses, they would take over the high end digital camera market.

Kirk Candlish

If Hulyss want's to shoot beautiful women with a camera that shows every pore in their skin he's welcome to do so. I don't find that image flattering and my client's don't either.

There's a place for the Sony/Zeiss combos, the Merrills and many other cameras. That's the beauty of artistic creation. You're given license with the brush you use.

Hulyss Bowman

If Hulyss want's to shoot beautiful women with a camera that shows every pore in their skin he's welcome to do so. I don't find that image flattering and my client's don't either.

There's a place for the Sony/Zeiss combos, the Merrills and many other cameras. That's the beauty of artistic creation. You're given license with the brush you use.
Ho you are right. I'm obliged to smooth portraits a lot with the Merrills , but this is something good after all. It give a large latitude for PP the skin or little imperfections and that's the point. This is the Same with D800e, many guys or pro do have a large learning curve to the new PP needed.

The raw output isn't flattering at ALL and you right to point it because some may think it is easy to make portrait with this kind of camera ... and this is not (or yes if the model is far from you).

vieri

Ho you are right. I'm obliged to smooth portraits a lot with the Merrills , but this is something good after all. It give a large latitude for PP the skin or little imperfections and that's the point. This is the Same with D800e, many guys or pro do have a large learning curve to the new PP needed.

The raw output isn't flattering at ALL and you right to point it because some may think it is easy to make portrait with this kind of camera ... and this is not (or yes if the model is far from you).
I totally agree with this. I'd rather have a lot of detail to begin with (=large room for post-processing, editing & cloning imperfections, etc) and having to smooth the resulting image prior to publication than the other way round. You can smooth out extra details, but you cannot add them back in if they aren't there :D

W.Utsch

I got my hands on a RX1 (with EVF) this weekend, weather turned from winter to summer within 2 days...
The DP2M, the DP3M and the RX1 do fit in my small "handbag":

The three beasts

P4160079.jpg by W.Utsch, on Flickr​

It was a little fiddling with 3 cams: One around my neck, the second in my hand and the third still in the bag. But the combo is hard to beat, you are done with the most important focal lengths and the RX1 complements the Sigmas in every other way just perfect. The bag is small and still pretty light.

Sigma DP2M:

RX1:

DSC03862.jpg by W.Utsch, on Flickr​

DP2M:

RX1:

DSC03849.jpg by W.Utsch, on Flickr​

You have to look at the 100% oc and consider JPEG compression.
My impression: The Sigma still has more resolution and sharpness, but the RX1 is close, very close. High ISO is extremely good on the Sony. The combination of RX1 and one or both Sigmas is fantastic and hard to beat.

Last edited: