The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma SD/DP Merrill vs your other camera

W.Utsch

Thats true, maybe its the Auto-WB. But which one is the "right one" - memory says it's the RX1's
The WB was slightly different on all images.

Jim DE

I think it would be harder to find one make of camera that set up at equal focal lengths/perspectives and PP similarly that actually beats the Merrills IQ. I have not seen or owned one.....All the cameras I own are collecting dust except when I do wildlife or macros.

Malina DZ

The DP2M, the DP3M and the RX1 do fit in my small "handbag"
Great travel kit many could wish for. None of them is ideal but each excels the other in particular situations delivering awesome shots :thumbs:
Thanks for the comparison.

Here's what another forum member shared with DPM community:
D800+28/1.8G vs DP1M (raw files)

biglouis

I am somewhat emabarassed to say that I have also followed W Utsch and purchased a RX-1 (an offer I could not refuse on a second hand one) to go with my DP2M. The main attraction is a camera which can produce excellent results at high-iso, where sadly the DP2M cannot go.

LouisB

retow

I got my hands on a RX1 (with EVF) this weekend, weather turned from winter to summer within 2 days...
The DP2M, the DP3M and the RX1 do fit in my small "handbag":

The three beasts

P4160079.jpg by W.Utsch, on Flickr​

It was a little fiddling with 3 cams: One around my neck, the second in my hand and the third still in the bag. But the combo is hard to beat, you are done with the most important focal lengths and the RX1 complements the Sigmas in every other way just perfect. The bag is small and still pretty light.

Sigma DP2M:

RX1:

DP2M:

RX1:

You have to look at the 100% oc and consider JPEG compression.
My impression: The Sigma still has more resolution and sharpness, but the RX1 is close, very close. High ISO is extremely good on the Sony. The combination of RX1 and one or both Sigmas is fantastic and hard to beat.
On a recent trip the Coolpix A, RX1 and DP3M were in the bag. On my next travel it might be the A, DP2M and DP3M (although I`m still trying to give the other gear a fair chance). The RX1 is great, but these darn Foveon files are soo addictive. I like the A as the jeans pocket size good IQ solution, but the new Ricoh GR might take its place soon.

retow

I am somewhat emabarassed to say that I have also followed W Utsch and purchased a RX-1 (an offer I could not refuse on a second hand one) to go with my DP2M. The main attraction is a camera which can produce excellent results at high-iso, where sadly the DP2M cannot go.

LouisB
LOL, I`m glad I`m not the only one.

Malina DZ

3 cameras, 3 lenses. Unfortunately, it was quite windy & many shots got misfocused. Nothing scientific, but hope you find them useful.
Foveon vs Bayer CCD & CMOS.

Sigma DP2M - AWB, Standard color, f2.8

Sony a850 + sal50f14 @ f2.4

Sony a100 + KM17-35/2.8-4 @ f4.5

Malina DZ

Tim, I saw that post of yours and guessed right which one was the Sigma image: eyebrows, eyelashes, hair & skin are more structured, show fine detail better than Sony. Both are really close IQ-wise and require 100% pixel-peeping to spot insignificant differences. Since Sony version is an in-camera JPG, a better result can be achieved with its RAW file. I'm quite content with what I have (a850+DP2M) and don't consider anything else currently on the market. But I'm really looking forward to foveon full frame sensor ILC as DP M cameras do not give me enough shallow depth of field that I get with FF camera and f/1.4 glass.

W.Utsch

For me the Sonys (RX1 and the A7's) are no alternative to the DP-Merrills. They complement each other. The RAW quality of the RX1 files and the Merrills are very close ( with advantage to the Sigma's) and i expect the A7r to be even closer. Sometimes the Merrill's are not usable in special shooting conditions - thats when the Sony's come to their right. To use M-mode and auto ISO with the RX1 is fantastic and not usable with the Sigma. For landscape etc. will still use the M's.
I would never have a M (Sigma or Leica!) as my only cam.
But would buy a Foveon full frame asap! They should improve ISO and shadows (green magenta).....