The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ricoh GXR M mount IR conversion? - Anyone done it?

Braeside

With the price of the GXR M Mount falling, I was thinking about getting a second one and converting it for infrared. Just wonder if anyone has done this?

V

Vivek

I have not seen any. Not sure if the IR cut filter is glued to the sensor as in the M8. If that is the case, it is much more difficult.

If you are willing to take the chance, send the cam to me and I will take a look. If it is convertible, I will convert it at no charge (just pay all the shipping involved and if there is a need for an IR filter) for you. :)

Braeside

Hi Vivek,

No idea how the IR cut filter is attached to the sensor either. I am asking around to see if anyone has done the conversion, as well as approaching UK based camera conversion companies to see if they know.

The GXR A12 M Mount would be ideal as it would allow me to continue to use an unmodified module and have a dedicated IR module.

I would prefer to have a 720NM band pass filter fitted, rather than have it full spectrum and have to use external filtering.

I do thank you for the very kind offer, I may take you up on it if I get hold of a second M Mount module that I can sacrifice. I need to sell a lens to pay for it first though ;-)

Cheers

V

Vivek

Hi David,

If you get around to getting one, please do drop me a line. This (conversion) would give me a chance to check out the GXR M module's spectral sensitivity. :)

zmix

With the price of the GXR M Mount falling, I was thinking about getting a second one and converting it for infrared. Just wonder if anyone has done this?
Are you certain that modification is required?

Have you tried IR photography on the stock A12 module?

Braeside

I would prefer to be able to use normal shutter speeds and exposure, that is the reason for the conversion. Yes, IR is possible without it, but it needs higher ISO and/or longer exposure times and a tripod.

johneaton

Hello David.

Clarence Spencer at Spencer's Camera & Photo in Alpine, Utah (spencerscamera.com) will convert an M-module to IR -- he did one for me (720nm) which works fine! -- though, given your location I'm not sure if this is helpful :)

Best, John.

Braeside

John, thanks for that. If I ever see a spare M mount module at a good price again I may consider sending it for conversion, but I don't want to convert my existing one just now.

Thanks again!