The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GXR and telephotos

cyrano

Hi all, I am considering the purchase of a digital body to use my manual focus lenses over 50mm in F/L and would appreciate any input if possible.
It appears I would need an EVF for starters, focus peaking as well so I'm kind of stuck with the Nex series or the GXR and M module.
I would prefer to pay no more than $750, it doesn't have to be new, are there any other contenders I could be looking at and has anyone had any experiences to share from using these combinations?
The longest lens I own is 560mm! :)

Michiel Schierbeek

The GXR + A12 Leica mount is good, if you have a lot of Leica mount lenses. The body is so cheap at the moment. There are also many adapters to Leica mount available.

The NEX 5n, 6 or 7 are even more versatile in adapting all kind of lenses.

Godfrey

Hi all, I am considering the purchase of a digital body to use my manual focus lenses over 50mm in F/L and would appreciate any input if possible.
It appears I would need an EVF for starters, focus peaking as well so I'm kind of stuck with the Nex series or the GXR and M module.
I would prefer to pay no more than $750, it doesn't have to be new, are there any other contenders I could be looking at and has anyone had any experiences to share from using these combinations?
The longest lens I own is 560mm! :)
Most lenses over 50mm focal length adapt well to the Ricoh GXR, or any NEX or Micro-FourThirds body. I personally don't find focus peaking to be of huge benefit with longer focal lengths, particularly if the EVF is of sufficient quality. In-body image stabilization is a big plus for longer focal lengths, however. The GXR's optimized sensor is the best for short focal length RF lenses, and its focus assist modes the most versatile for their use as well. The Sony and Olympus EVFs are better quality than the Ricoh EVF. The smaller FourThirds size sensor also gives you more reach and mor DoF at larger lens openings.

So: if I were buying a TTL electronic body specifically for use with longer lenses, I'd buy an Olympus body for their EVF and IBIS. I'd pick the GXR or NEX 6 for short RF lenses (particularly the GXR for the more symmetrical lens designs), and a NEX 7 for short to medium length SLR lens adaptation in general.

G

cyrano

Thanks Godfrey, I'd never considered the Olympus offerings, I have an Epson for wides, that's a fine instrument for my needs. I would though, prefer at least APS-C. I'm mostly looking towards the 80-200mm range, and of course that big,black tube of a 560mm!

Last edited: