The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma DP2M/DP3M with external flash

foveon

dont know about RF-602 for Sony;
my DP2m works well with RF-602 for Nikon, but not with RF-602 for Canon.

Malina DZ

I'm thinking of using Sony HVL-F58AM flash (Minolta hot shoe) with a DP M camera. What are my options that will allow to use HSS up to 1/2000sec.
If I place this Vello Hot Shoe Adapter on both DPM and Flash and connect them with a Male PC to Male PC sync cord, will this setup work ?

Below are the images of the PC sync port on HVL-F58AM flash. If there's an accessory cord that can connect the flash (via PC Sync port or hot shoe) with DP M hot shoe, please let me know.

View attachment 81608 View attachment 81609

Last edited:

Malina DZ

Here's what I've got to mate F58AM with DP2M:
DLC DL-0425 Flash to Standard Hot Shoe adapter and Sony FA-CC1AM Off-Camera Flash Cable.
Here is the result shot at 1/1600s:

G43

Cool Malina

It looks like the sands reflects light from the sun and brighten up her face, arms and breast. The flash perhaps also keeps information in the shadows?
The sunstar in the sunglasses is cued and works well, but of course exposes the flash in use :) Good shot.

Malina DZ

Appreciate your feedback G43.
Considering that it's a handheld point and shoot approach, shot under direct sunlight, with barely any feedback from the back screen... I was excited to try the speedlight out with DP2M in this back lit model scenario and the results are satisfying. Way better skin tones without magenta color cast are achieved with a fill-in flash.

biglouis

Malina

Did you hand hold the flash or are you using a bracket to hold it with the camera?

LouisB

Malina DZ

Why I cannot see the shot?
Strange, wonder why GetDPI gallery BB code doesn't display image for you (registered member)...
Here's a link to it on Flickr: Vix - Beach Bunny Mix

Did you hand hold the flash or are you using a bracket to hold it with the camera?
Louis, I held the camera in one hand and the flash in another extended as far away from each other as I could manage. Not the most comfortable solution but reasonably light & portable.
BTW, DP2M doesn't see the flash attached. You don't get to choose any options for flash in camera menu (fill-in, rear-sync). Flash has to be set up manually in its own settings.

Granto

I've used the DP2M and DP1M several times with a Cactus V and a Nikon SB800 or YN 560 MkII. They work great even up to 1/2000.

Malina DZ

I'm trying to make a DP2M fire a Canon mount YN685 speedlite (direct mount and wirelessly via YN622C-TX) with no luck in any mode (PASM). Will a universal Canon to Nikon hot shoe adapter help?

foveon

I got some YN transmitters, one of them is for Canon and it doesnt work on my Merrills, the Nikon ones do work, so I think a C to N adapter will help if you just want to fire the flash,

Malina DZ

Thanks foveon! I'll try an adapter then.
BTW, YN685 speedlite (manual mode) + YN622C-TX syncs at 1/2000s with DP Merrill :clap: I confirmed that when connected flash trigger via a PC sync cable to my current hot shoe adapter mounted on the camera.