The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

No thread for Ricoh GR?

heymatthew

Yeah, I know what B&H says... I've heard as early as the 10th. However, note that B&H is closed on the 15th...

"Our SuperStore and Offices will be closing early on Tuesday, May 14th at 2:00PM EDT and remain closed on Wednesday & Thursday, May 15th & 16th. We will reopen on Friday, May 17th at 9:00AM EDT."

Kind of lame... so even if it comes on the 15th, it won't be shipped until the 17th and will arrive at the earliest on Monday.
Oh. That sucks. If anyone else gets a guaranteed in-stock date other than B&H, I'll cancel my order and move it to another retailer. The prices are the same across the board. I respect religious holidays and what not, but B&H is ridiculous about it.

I suppose I don't really NEED the camera, I just got hopeful that I'd have it in time for the festival in Atlanta.

heymatthew

I actually really respect them for it. They have principles, and they are willing to live by those principles, even if it costs them. If B&H is closed and I really want something, Amazon gets that business.
I'm exactly the same. I definitely respect religious holidays. I'm a Southern Baptist born and raised and totally enjoy my holidays. I'm like you in that if B&H is unavailable, I'll move on down to the next company for what I need. If Amazon would give me a definite date of arrival on their site, I'd order from them as I get Prime shipping anyway and it would be way cheaper than B&H's overnight shipping by about $30.

Unfortunately, B&H is the only company willing to put out an expected arrival date.

JSRockit

I actually really respect them for it. They have principles, and they are willing to live by those principles, even if it costs them. If B&H is closed and I really want something, Amazon gets that business.
I was just being half-jokingly selfish. I can wait a few days in reality. I have other cameras. :thumbup:

Godfrey

I was just being half-jokingly selfish. I can wait a few days in reality. I have other cameras. :thumbup:
Indeed. I just cannot understand all the panic and anxiety about when, exactly, to the minute a camera will be released and "have to have it IMMEDIATELY" attitudes I read about this stuff.

It's just a freekin' camera, people. Don't you all have a dozen or more of them?

G

JSRockit

Well, for the need it now types, it looks like it will be May 24th in Japan, so I cannot imagine the US getting it prior to that.

Map camera:

RICOHGR

Crudely Translated: Launch Date: May 24, 2013 will launch ( * Trade-in if you are interested in the comment section that please fill out) for reservations Special Offer: GR original RED GR debut with ring's campaign for.

What's the red ring edition?

Thorkil

Well, I could have used it at work next week, being able to 6400 iso instead of dragging the K-5II with me. But its ok, and I can take the GXR-M-module along with the cv 15 as reserve.
A bit exited about what Ming Thing claims to be an ability to B&W at least as good as an MM. That will be one thing to see! And another thing, when C17 will be updated with a support too!
Thorkil

Mikec

Yes, I'd love to see how tonality for B&W conversion works out. The less PP work, the better because I'm lazy. I will definitely be making B&W prints from the GR. I have been shooting with an MM since late last year (10,000+ shots) and really like the tonality.

And of course, I need the camera now. ;)

JSRockit

Apparently these shipped yesterday. Unfortunately, I didn't make the cut. Ordered on day one of it being available on Adorama. Either they didn't get many or they decided to go out of order and give it to someone else.

JSRockit

I managed to get one yesterday. So far, it's nice. It truly is front pants pocket pocketable. The AF is fast in daylight...slower in low light. Looks usable to ISO 3200. That's my initial impression.

roanjoh

Got delivery for mine last night too! Didn't pre-order or anything - saw a camera store in Brooklyn got it on eBay and I pounced! They had 8 and I got the last one :)

Great little camera - my lightest camera yet! This is my first Ricoh and the amount of customization is dizzying! I actually had to read the manual as some operations are not as intuitive. All in all, it is fast and responsive. LCD screen on the back is gorgeous. AF is nothing to brag about - it hunts but is very precise. I love the silent shutter - you can set it up so you hear no AF confirmation and shutter sound. Haven't played with snap focus yet. I hate that the battery charges in the camera. I like the finish - coarse metal (?) and rubber grip. Just snaps around the house show a usable ISO 3200 (Very good for something this size). Lens is AMAZINGLY sharp - even at 2.8. Can't wait to put it through its paces this weekend :)

Thorkil

sounds good! have to go to one of my camera-pushers tomorrow to take a look....but one thing....you all have to post some Pictures very soon, also in B&W.
Thorkil