The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Foveon Sensor, SPP Monochrome - Images

foveon

Thank you, it was really dark and bad weather, for me the look of B&W is ok @ISO 3200,
especially when I remember old days of film

Malina DZ

Upgraded SPP to v. 6.1 and there's no processing speed improvements for DP2M RAW files. The speed is identical. I'm on a W7 PC with way above SPP minimum requirements.
What I did notice though is that the bug described in my earlier post has been fixed :) It's a good news for me since I like the features that Monochrome mode offers.

Tim

Upgraded SPP to v. 6.1 and there's no processing speed improvements for DP2M RAW files. The speed is identical. I'm on a W7 PC with way above SPP minimum requirements.
What I did notice though is that the bug described in my earlier post has been fixed :) It's a good news for me since I like the features that Monochrome mode offers.
On my lowly PC I find it seems to read the directory of files quicker, other than that it seems same speed to me also. I notice it installed in another directory so it can co-exist with SPP5.53.

dbarthel

This is one of my first attempts at black and white using the DP3M. Final black and white processing in Tonality after initial conversion in SPP.

Paul H

On my Retina Macbook Pro, I can't see much speed difference with SPP 6.1. It does crash occasionally, whereas SPP 5.x never did.

Here's a couple of SPP 6.1 conversions:

Fancy downpipe on a fancy apartment:

Malina DZ

I found this DP2M review by Martin Zimelka quite interesting and useful especially for B&W photography. I haven't seen/read about anyone using color filters with foveon sensors before. So I got myself a red filter to try. The "Beacon" shot above is a straight SPP B&W conversion. Smooth skin and sharp textures everywhere else with 0 effort in post. The negative side of the filter is that DR becomes even more narrow. Slightly blown highlights are unrecoverable. Pulling shadows doesn't unveil extra detail. If you can compose your shot without clipping essential parts, the results can be rewarding. Here's a RAW sample shot with a red filter attached. Hope it helps someone else learn new horizons of the foveon.

Quentin_Bargate

Good review by Martin, but I'd rather simply use SPP to convert to mono. That red filter example proves how very limiting the technique can be.

adrewdecourcy

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quentin these are superb, I feel shamed, living on the Cornish coast I take such
scenery for granted passing by to often. Though a while ago I said to myself I must take advantage of our cliffs more and have not done so. Thank you for the reminder.

Quentin_Bargate

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quentin these are superb, I feel shamed, living on the Cornish coast I take such
scenery for granted passing by to often. Though a while ago I said to myself I must take advantage of our cliffs more and have not done so. Thank you for the reminder.
Many thanks. We have a house near Launceston, and its nice to get down there when I can. I have admired your work in Mevagissey, you have a very compelling style :)

Lainer

OMG! All of these shots are so magnificent. I have some new shots from today, nothing as fancy as these. You all did such a beautiful job.

This is Ozzy, my French Bulldog. Sigma DP3M ISO 400 due to possible dog movement and low light. F/4.0 1/125th second. Used SPP software to convert to Monochrome, then brought into Photoshop CS 6 for final tiff to jpeg conversion and some tweaking.

[/url]02-01-15 (1925) Eyes Pleading by Lainey1, on Flickr[/IMG]

And this is the mist I saw this morning outside my front door. Sigma DP2M ISO 200

[/url]Fog-Sigma DP2M by Lainey1, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]Lights in Fog-Sigma DP2M by Lainey1, on Flickr[/IMG]

Sigma DP3M ISO 200 F/4.0 1/800th second

[/url]Fog-Sigma DP3M by Lainey1, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited: