The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Foveon Sensor, SPP Monochrome - Images

Malina DZ

Cruise Ships in B&W
DP2m @ f/7.1, iso100
This is a 1024px thumbnail of the DP2M file cropped to 1920x800px. Click on the image to see pixels at 100% zoom.

furtle

Cruise Ships in B&W
Without commenting on the remarkable ability of the DP2M, that photo demonstrates, to me, the full horror of cruising. That photo will never appear in any glossy cruise brochures and for that, well done!

Illness incubators, virus vessels - call 'em what you will - but no one can describe those ships as glamorous.

Where is it? Miami?

AlanS

Posted the colour version in the DP3M thread but thought I would reprocess in SSP Monochrome, very pleased with the result.

bensonga

I'm starting to look at alternatives to ACR/CS6 for B&W. On the Sigma Best Practices thread it was suggested that I should try Silver Efex Pro 2 for B&W. After a bit a research I think I'll try SEP2. This tool seems to give even more control over the color channels than ACR/CS6 for changing individual tones. For my DPM images I've tried using SPP Monochrome, but I find the lack of adjustments to individual color channels too limiting and a have greater range of personal tuning with ACR/CS6 (and even more I assume with SEP2). Have others compared these alternatives?
Some outstanding images here. I also use ACR and SEP2 for almost all of my B&W conversions and image processing. For my Sigma DPM files, I have just been using SPP 5.5.3 to convert the Raws to TIFF and then do all the processing in CS6 or SEP2. I've played with SPP Mono a bit, but not enough to really get results that seem any better/different that I can get with my current workflow, so I must be missing something. I was just wondering if some of you could share tips on what works best for you re processing these files in SPP Mono. Thanks!

Gary

AlanS

Gary, I use SSP as a starting point and finish off in Lightroom. I also use SEP2 and find it works really well on some images but in truth I can get similar looks out of Lightroom, SSP and Raw Therapee etc. etc. Depends on the subject and my mood, anyway a few more from this morning...DP1M,

Erosion, Weardale...

Snowdrops

markhout

In your B&W conversions, is your impression that the Monochrome Tab in SPP gives you more flexibility (i.e. better results) than exporting a 16-bit color TIFF from SPP to Lightroom or PS and subsequently edit in Silver Efex Pro?

Thanks!

Cliceric

Hello, in my case, I do not use Lightroom or other software. I converted the raw file with SPP. I know some use conversions you speak, but I do not like to spend hours behind a screen. I prefer to shoot photo. For me, it lacks some functions of cutting or cropping, but any free software has the capacity to execute these basic functions. Of course this is just my opinion ... Good evening.