The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DPXM owners...apparently we're a cult!

peterb

From imaging resource: a review of the DP1M. The reviewer tried to refrain from using the infamous 'c' word in referring to DPXM fans, even deliberately refraining from saying it during the initial paragraph of the 'shooting' section. But in the concluding remarks he called us out on the carpet.

All in all a nice review. Of course, the usual caveats remain: unmatched IQ up to ISO 400, miserable batteries yadda yadda yadda... The article compares images at various ISOs with cameras ranging from a Nikon Coolpix and Ricoh GR to a Sony RX1! You also can do your own peep-analysis using the site's neat 'comparometer' feature that lets you pixel peep side-by-side shots of identical images (the usual still life suspects) taken at reasonably close perspectives/distances (vis-a-vis the lens used) by cameras in their rather extensive database.*

Since it's a DP1M, the images on close inspection do point out the (truly) minor shortcomings of the 19mm f2.8 so I would really be curious to see how images taken with the DP2M and new DP3M would compare.

Here's the link to the review:

Sigma DP1 Merrill Camera - Review

Here's a link to their comparometer:

Imaging Resource "Comparometer" ™ Digital Camera Image Comparison Page

Ommmmmmmmmmmmm...

*Note: You can also do a side by side image comparison with up to FOUR cameras on DPreview as images taken with the DP1M are also in their data base as well (even though there's no formal review from them on it yet). Just pick a camera you'd like to check (like the RX1, for example) and go to the RAW IQ section where you can compare identical sections of an image taken with that camera along with others. All you do is move a rectangular patch about the shot and you can see how the camera's fare.

The Ute

From imaging resource: a review of the DP1M. The reviewer tried to refrain from using the infamous 'c' word in referring to DPXM fans, even deliberately refraining from saying it during the initial paragraph of the 'shooting' section. But in the concluding remarks he called us out on the carpet.

All in all a nice review. Of course, the usual caveats remain: unmatched IQ up to ISO 400, miserable batteries yadda yadda yadda... The article compares images at various ISOs with cameras ranging from a Nikon Coolpix and Ricoh GR to a Sony RX1! You also can do your own peep-analysis using the site's neat 'comparometer' feature that lets you pixel peep side-by-side shots of identical images (the usual still life suspects) taken at reasonably close perspectives/distances (vis-a-vis the lens used) by cameras in their rather extensive database.*

Since it's a DP1M, the images on close inspection do point out the (truly) minor shortcomings of the 19mm f2.8 so I would really be curious to see how images taken with the DP2M and new DP3M would compare.

Here's the link to the review:

Sigma DP1 Merrill Camera - Review

Here's a link to their comparometer:

Imaging Resource "Comparometer" ™ Digital Camera Image Comparison Page

Ommmmmmmmmmmmm...

*Note: You can also do a side by side image comparison with up to FOUR cameras on DPreview as images taken with the DP1M are also in their data base as well (even though there's no formal review from them on it yet). Just pick a camera you'd like to check (like the RX1, for example) and go to the RAW IQ section where you can compare identical sections of an image taken with that camera along with others. All you do is move a rectangular patch about the shot and you can see how the camera's fare.
Thanks Peter.

I'm one of the cult members. A true convert.

I didn't need that article to tell just how wonderful DPx images can be
when the camera is used within it's operating window.

I have several absolutely beautiful large print photos on my wall to prove it.

I love using them. They never cease to amaze me.

I call them my secret weapons.

I actaully feel sorry for the guys I see lugging around those heavy camera lens combos.

Knowing full well that under the right circumstances they have no chance of
matching or exceeding what my little Sigma can do.

;)

Jim DE

Put me on the "cult list" as well! I am sold on these merrill foveon sensors and their IQ.

Very hard for me to believe that with all my other cameras that if I am after my best image quality for my scenics The DP2m is the one I grab. I still use SLR's for my macros and wildlife images (but honestly if the SD1 was better at low light high iso work I would be all in and have only Merrill sensored cameras).

I even like the very small amount of attention I get while out with my DP2m. All too many time's with SLR's and larger you get too many distractions from on lookers and even those you may not feel the most comfortable being out at night and alone around. I can go to the waterfront, back streets, pretty much where ever and pull it out of a coat pocket slap it on a light telescopic leg tripod and get a shot few cameras can match and no one even notices you. Yup put me on the "cult" list! ;)

TKSpaulding

That's a great point Jim.
I walked around an art festival last weekend snapping away with my DP2M and no one gave me a second look. I've done the same with a big DSLR and it gets peoples attention and reactions.
Another one for the cult here (DP2M+DP3M). I'm hooked on the images that these little gems produce.
I just ordered a NN3 for my new DP3M to try pano's.

-Tom

Last edited:

Jim DE

NN3 with leveler works great with the DP2m so I am sure you will be happy with it on the DP3m as well.

My name is Jim I AM a DPXm addict!!!!! :):):) And am not looking for the 12 steps to cure this ;)

What can I say, I am hooked!

Tim

Cult hands up here also. I am at both extremes, using a GR Digital 1-4 who's IQ is challenged shall we say, unique and I like it but not the fine detail of a DP2M.

Some of my best images came regularly from the DP2, which I still have.