Site Sponsors
Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast
Results 401 to 450 of 1486

Thread: FUN with Ricoh GR!!!

  1. #401
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Maggie O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Standards Are Down All Over
    Posts
    2,986
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: FUN with Ricoh GR!!!

    Great work, guys! Humans and horses!
    My Blog | Music | flickr
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  2. #402
    Senior Member biglouis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,940
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: FUN with Ricoh GR!!!

    ^^^ Nice shots from an unusual perspective, Jono. The GR is an addictive camera! ^^^
    -----
    My new book "Whitechapel in 50 BUildings", Flikr Stream, www.louisberk.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  3. #403
    Senior Member biglouis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,940
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: FUN with Ricoh GR!!!

    One from Whitechapel, early this morning with the RLH shrouded in fog.

    -----
    My new book "Whitechapel in 50 BUildings", Flikr Stream, www.louisberk.com
    Likes 14 Member(s) liked this post

  4. #404
    Member Kameleo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    W.Siberia
    Posts
    154
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: FUN with Ricoh GR!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    One from Whitechapel, early this morning with the RLH shrouded in fog.
    simply misterious!! like a frame of movie! amazing!
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  5. #405
    Senior Member JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    640
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: FUN with Ricoh GR!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kameleo View Post
    simply misterious!! like a frame of movie! amazing!
    Have to agree -- very cinematic, Louis.

    Not much shooting time for me lately, but I'm keen to stay in the thread, so....



    web site | tumblr
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

  6. #406
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    A bit north of Copenhagen
    Posts
    1,262
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    459

    Re: FUN with Ricoh GR!!!

    ...have to asssist with something. Just one from out in the Wood today...





    thorkil
    Likes 10 Member(s) liked this post

  7. #407
    Senior Member JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    640
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: FUN with Ricoh GR!!!

    Nice, thorkil. That's my thinking too. An abstract from the morning walk. It's close to 0F here and not many humanoids in sight. But feeling the need to shoot SOMETHING.

    John

    Last edited by JohnW; 15th December 2013 at 10:54.
    web site | tumblr
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

  8. #408
    Senior Member JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    640
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: FUN with Ricoh GR!!!

    Actually, I did manage to find one person after a long, cold wait at this Freemason mural.

    BTW, there's an Edouard Boubat quote on my blog today that I think some of you may enjoy. And check out the google images link at the end of the post. I really enjoy his work.

    John

    web site | tumblr
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

  9. #409
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    A bit north of Copenhagen
    Posts
    1,262
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    459

    Re: FUN with Ricoh GR!!!

    Nice Pictures John! And very interesting with Edouard Boubat (!!)...and your Book too (!!!)...I'll have to catch up on that later on....now back to the very booring Work (no more jump-over-actions, looking sideways...at least I'll try, not to)
    thorkil

  10. #410
    Senior Member JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    640
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: FUN with Ricoh GR!!!

    As the credits roll....



    web site | tumblr
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

  11. #411
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    A bit north of Copenhagen
    Posts
    1,262
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    459

    Re: FUN with Ricoh GR!!!

    ha, ha...just fine, John!
    thorkil
    (PS I guess it's a trailer for the A7R)

  12. #412
    Senior Member JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    640
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: FUN with Ricoh GR!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorkil View Post
    ha, ha...just fine, John!
    thorkil
    (PS I guess it's a trailer for the A7R)
    Just a little fun.

    Dare I ask where you stand on that particular Sony device - from one GR fan to another? Honestly, I now look for GR-like B&W rendering in all the new cameras, and I just don't see it there. I'm considering renting a K-3 and 50 equivalent, thinking that may get me closer. No question, I'm infatuated with the character of these files.

    John

  13. #413
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    A bit north of Copenhagen
    Posts
    1,262
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    459

    Re: FUN with Ricoh GR!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Just a little fun.

    Dare I ask where you stand on that particular Sony device - from one GR fan to another? Honestly, I now look for GR-like B&W rendering in all the new cameras, and I just don't see it there. I'm considering renting a K-3 and 50 equivalent, thinking that may get me closer. No question, I'm infatuated with the character of these files.

    John
    Hi John
    I'm not able to/or willing perhaps, to be patient enough for handling an A7R (got frustrated with the Nikon D800E), while I also have to use it at my Work and handheld all the time. It will be way too challenging to get the best result out of it. I have to rely on more forgiveness in a sensor. I have a Pentax K-30 and K-5II that I'm going to sell, while comparing with Nikon's matrix-metering-system, in difficult light situations they couldn’t deliver what Nikon could, fast and precise, no competition in that area I think. Colours perhaps slightly better than Nikon, but not much.
    But colours on Nikon are a bit uninspiring. Perhaps Sony colours are a bit overloaded, but they are more inspiring, but I don't know if it is a pop-effect one perhaps will get tired of. So if I go Sony, it will just be the A7, and native lenses, because life will perhaps get to short for me, just to rely on manual focusing, that I will leave to the experts. So the deal would here be, getting better colours with the Price of the effectiveness of Nikon
    Don't know anything about B&W's though.
    Handling is peculiar, while split seconds in the right time will mean a lot, and the psychological effect does mean a lot, getting the feeling of connection. The best connecting with cameras I've got from the Leica M6, handling, the Nikon D3(but not for the colours and not for size!)(the Hasselblad SWC is for special and seldom use) and the GR.
    But if Sony fail, trying it, then I’ll go back to Nikon with a D610 (or a Df...but too expensive for me perhaps, very back leaned and "rich" sensor...hhmm).

    best
    thorkil
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  14. #414
    Senior Member JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    640
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: FUN with Ricoh GR!!!

    Well, I decided I need to see for myself what this Sony thing is all about, so I just ordered an A7. With Amazon's amazing holiday return policy, why not?

    Anyway, enough Sony. Back to the remarkable GR. It does tripods too.

    John

    web site | tumblr
    Likes 11 Member(s) liked this post

  15. #415
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    A bit north of Copenhagen
    Posts
    1,262
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    459

    Re: FUN with Ricoh GR!!!

    very nice tripod-picture
    Well, good, then I can have a first-hand impression from a dedicated GR-user.
    Can't wait
    thorkil

    ps. but the B&W capacity from the GR could be hard to beat (Ming Thein claimed it on level with the Leica MM)
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  16. #416
    Senior Member biglouis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,940
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: FUN with Ricoh GR!!!

    "Read the sign, dumbass!"

    -----
    My new book "Whitechapel in 50 BUildings", Flikr Stream, www.louisberk.com
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

  17. #417
    Senior Member kuujinbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Pacific Northwest U.S.
    Posts
    290
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    6

    Re: FUN with Ricoh GR!!!

    Fog, overcast, and rain all week. Even had a bit of snow this morning. Saw about 30 minutes or so of sunlight this week...

    "We're human, after all, and everybody's got something a little off somewhere." - Murakami Haruki, The fall of the Roman empire
    Likes 11 Member(s) liked this post

  18. #418
    Senior Member JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    640
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: FUN with Ricoh GR!!!

    From this morning's walk downtown. I have photographed this lifeguard chair so many times, with so many cameras. But this is the first with the GR and its lovely rendering – at least to my eye – of upper gray tones. The chair keeps drawing me back season after season, year after year. Why? Who knows? Here's an old blog post about it, with perhaps as good an explanation as any, by Robert Adams.

    John

    Last edited by JohnW; 22nd December 2013 at 02:34.
    web site | tumblr
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

  19. #419
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    A bit north of Copenhagen
    Posts
    1,262
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    459

    Re: FUN with Ricoh GR!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by kuujinbo View Post


    Fantastic colours
    thorkil
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  20. #420
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Maggie O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Standards Are Down All Over
    Posts
    2,986
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: FUN with Ricoh GR!!!

    What a fantastic run of photos in this thread!!! I love you guys.

  21. #421
    Senior Member biglouis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,940
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: FUN with Ricoh GR!!!

    For information I have written a short review of the GW-3 Wide Angle adapter for the GR and it is currently on the home page of Serious Compacts.

    I would republish the whole article here but that seems a bit redundant.

    LouisB

  22. #422
    Senior Member JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    640
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: FUN with Ricoh GR!!!

    That's a good read, Louis. Thanks. I've not seen so much written about it. I go back and forth on purchasing one. I actually wish Ricoh offered an extender of this quality, to around 50mm. Your sample photos are also excellent.

    John

  23. #423
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    MUC, Germany
    Posts
    615
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: FUN with Ricoh GR!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    From this morning's walk downtown. I have photographed this lifeguard chair so many times, with so many cameras. But this is the first with the GR and its lovely rendering – at least to my eye – of upper gray tones. The chair keeps drawing me back season after season, year after year. Why? Who knows? Here's an old blog post about it, with perhaps as good an explanation as any, by Robert Adams.

    John
    John: I like the picture and particularly its framing (though I ususally don't like portrait orientation at all) and I very much appreciate your reflections in the linked blog post. Gives me food for thoughts as well. Thanks for sharing!

    PS: And, I missed that one before, I also like the second one in post #405 a lot.
    Last edited by contrelamontre; 23rd December 2013 at 14:43. Reason: Typo
    Best regards - Hermann
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  24. #424
    Senior Member biglouis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,940
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: FUN with Ricoh GR!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    That's a good read, Louis. Thanks. I've not seen so much written about it. I go back and forth on purchasing one. I actually wish Ricoh offered an extender of this quality, to around 50mm. Your sample photos are also excellent.

    John
    John, thanks. And my thoughts exactly about the 50mm. I would easily pay for a GR which had a 50mm equivalent fov in the current form factor.

    LouisB
    -----
    My new book "Whitechapel in 50 BUildings", Flikr Stream, www.louisberk.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  25. #425
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,704
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: FUN with Ricoh GR!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    John, thanks. And my thoughts exactly about the 50mm. I would easily pay for a GR which had a 50mm equivalent fov in the current form factor.

    LouisB
    HI Louis
    I would as well - but I guess it's traditionally 28mm, so that's what they'll stick with.
    Lovely picks everyone -

    Just this guy you know
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  26. #426
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    A bit north of Copenhagen
    Posts
    1,262
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    459

    Re: FUN with Ricoh GR!!!

    just to....something..





    thorkil
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

  27. #427
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    A bit north of Copenhagen
    Posts
    1,262
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    459

    Re: FUN with Ricoh GR!!!

    and just to...just...





    thorkil
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

  28. #428
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    A bit north of Copenhagen
    Posts
    1,262
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    459

    Re: FUN with Ricoh GR!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Just a little fun.

    Dare I ask where you stand on that particular Sony device - from one GR fan to another? Honestly, I now look for GR-like B&W rendering in all the new cameras, and I just don't see it there. I'm considering renting a K-3 and 50 equivalent, thinking that may get me closer. No question, I'm infatuated with the character of these files.

    John
    John, just a Little PS. I'm not certain of the A7 is what you need as a second camera.
    Perhaps it's the Nikon Df you need. While this camera do take some wonderful smooth Pictures. I think they will be fantastic in B&W too.
    But, of course I'm under heavy influence of my own considerations.
    I need the ability to high Iso (or fast lenses of course, or IBIS, but I think I've left the E-M1 consideration).
    A Df is two stops better than a A7/A7r, 12.800 iso will be useful, only 3.200 on a A7/r, and one stop better than a D610 and D800.
    I do like the colours of the Sony very much, but I do also very much like the rich, fat and yet special relaxed drawing of things from the Df. It has a special quality to me, that is not only about pure sharpness.
    just some thoughts and I know you already bought the A7...so..
    thorkil
    ps. look at the Df thread #195

  29. #429
    Senior Member JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    640
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: FUN with Ricoh GR!!!

    Thanks for your thoughts, thorkil. My A7 will be going back due to an electrical problem with a faulty LCD. The files are among the nicest I've seen. Great color and BW conversions. Unlike my Nex 7, the A7 files have what I would call depth. But you're right about ISO: 3200 is about it. It's not noise but the loss of image detail at higher ISOs.

    Anyway, I plan to return it next week and then mull it over a bit more. I'll check into the Df, but the price is a concern. In the meantime I'm content with the GR. As you know I'm less interested in resolution and ultimate detail than I am in the character of the files. I simply want a camera that takes a normal and short tele and offers great GR-like BW output.

    John

  30. #430
    Senior Member biglouis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,940
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: FUN with Ricoh GR!!!

    The inevitable "cat-plays-in-the-bag-your-Christmas-present-came-in" pictures.



    -----
    My new book "Whitechapel in 50 BUildings", Flikr Stream, www.louisberk.com
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

  31. #431
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    A bit north of Copenhagen
    Posts
    1,262
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    459

    Re: FUN with Ricoh GR!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Thanks for your thoughts, thorkil. My A7 will be going back due to an electrical problem with a faulty LCD. The files are among the nicest I've seen. Great color and BW conversions. Unlike my Nex 7, the A7 files have what I would call depth. But you're right about ISO: 3200 is about it. It's not noise but the loss of image detail at higher ISOs.

    Anyway, I plan to return it next week and then mull it over a bit more. I'll check into the Df, but the price is a concern. In the meantime I'm content with the GR. As you know I'm less interested in resolution and ultimate detail than I am in the character of the files. I simply want a camera that takes a normal and short tele and offers great GR-like BW output.

    John
    Yes, the Df-price is certainly a concern for me too. But on a A7 I’m not satisfied with the thought of only relying on manual focus, and buying the fast native primes will set you back with a healthy amount too, and the slow zooms will make the iso problem even worse.
    And I guess the elder Nikon lenses will AF on a Df too, that could be nice.
    thorkil

  32. #432
    Senior Member biglouis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,940
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: FUN with Ricoh GR!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorkil View Post
    Yes, the Df-price is certainly a concern for me too. But on a A7 Im not satisfied with the thought of only relying on manual focus, and buying the fast native primes will set you back with a healthy amount too, and the slow zooms will make the iso problem even worse.
    And I guess the elder Nikon lenses will AF on a Df too, that could be nice.
    thorkil
    I know this discussion is OT but I agree with Thorkil.

    I'm still going round and round on this. The thought of a D4 sensor in the lightest available Nikon full-frame body able to access the entire legacy of Nikon and third-party mount glass is very attractive. When are Sony going to understand that the lens line-up sells cameras? The main attraction to me of the A7 is the superb results I get with my RX1. That is a big selling feature, to me.

    Decisions, decisions, eh?

    LouisB
    -----
    My new book "Whitechapel in 50 BUildings", Flikr Stream, www.louisberk.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  33. #433
    Senior Member JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    640
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: FUN with Ricoh GR!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    I know this discussion is OT but I agree with Thorkil.

    I'm still going round and round on this. The thought of a D4 sensor in the lightest available Nikon full-frame body able to access the entire legacy of Nikon and third-party mount glass is very attractive. When are Sony going to understand that the lens line-up sells cameras? The main attraction to me of the A7 is the superb results I get with my RX1. That is a big selling feature, to me.

    Decisions, decisions, eh?

    LouisB
    I always figure if I can't decide, then it's best to wait, so that's what I'll do for now. Thorkil, you're right; even the A7 with a couple native lenses puts you in the $4K range. It's very difficult for me to justify that. Certainly the a7/R is a step up from the Nex 7, but sometimes good enough is good enough.

    Louis, I'm curious how do you decide on any given day between using the RX1 and GR.

    I hope to make 2014 a year of deeper personal expression through photography. That's where the reward comes from for me. As much as I love cameras and technology, all this gear focus has been quite a distraction from that intention.

    John
    web site | tumblr
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  34. #434
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    A bit north of Copenhagen
    Posts
    1,262
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    459

    Re: FUN with Ricoh GR!!!

    just...when I use the GR I'm not the patient type that succeed in careful framing and focusing, and the camera inspire me, not to.
    Then I often miss the effective Nikon feeling, quickly framing and fire away (and see what you exactly get)...but there is a trap to fall into: it can become way too easy to fire away, and the trap is, what is easy available and too easy to get, you don't appreciate in the sufficient way...and you get bored too, and you loose the inspiration from the camera, and you are in risk of loosing some carefulness. That's why a M is nice to use, there is an Automatic filter "builded ind", you become more careful, alone by the focus-way, and the framing is a free thing to follow.
    But a Df might inspire you to do compromises (against a D800/600/D3 etc), a bit more carefulness (at least for my part), although, and even if, you might end up with digital settings like is was a D610, but even though, I think it’s an important issue (+ it gives this solid and trusty feeling).
    I think it’s this issue that made someone like Steve Huff buy the Df although he from principle don't like DSLR's
    thorkil
    but yes John, I agree upon, keep it simple, for heavens sake (but then there will only be a GR and a Df )

  35. #435
    Senior Member JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    640
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: FUN with Ricoh GR!!!

    Ok, you've convinced me to look more closely at the Df. - John

  36. #436
    Subscriber Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    3,025
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1117

    Re: FUN with Ricoh GR!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    . . . . As you know I'm less interested in resolution and ultimate detail than I am in the character of the files. I simply want a camera that takes a normal and short tele and offers great GR-like BW output. . . .

    John
    A cheap experiment would be to get a GXR with M-Mount, if you don't have one already.

    The way I resisted all this hoopla about the A7 and Nikon retro was to go out and buy a used Sony a850. It works - haven't got it yet but I'm already excited. I get to see all my Minolta glass just the way it should look. And the A900/850 are partially "genuine" retro.

    Keith

  37. #437
    Senior Member biglouis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,940
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: FUN with Ricoh GR!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Louis, I'm curious how do you decide on any given day between using the RX1 and GR.

    John
    It's worse than that! I also have to decide between the RX1, GR, DP2M and DP3M. Owning four compacts is what comes of not having a camera system, especially now I have sold my Hasselblad (film) and most of my Panasonic m43ds gear.

    If I am going to work, then it is a no-brainer at present: the GR because it fits snugly into my pocket.

    If am going out photographing then I will take a combination of all cameras depending on how may I can fit into my small Crumpler camera bag. I can get the RX1, one of the Sigma's (often the DP3M) and since purchasing it recently I can normally slip the GR into the front pocket of the camera bag.

    The RX1 is my 100% dependable camera. If the lighting conditions are in any way in doubt, that is what I will use because up to 6400 you really do not even have to worry about what iso you select.

    If I am doing landscape then it is hard to choose between the RX1 and DP2M - both produce excellent results.

    I must say I am to some extent following John's advice which is to wait and see - the only thing I have against four compacts (well three, as the Sigma's have the same file format) is the processing chain. A single camera system makes that a lot easier.

    LouisB

  38. #438
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    A bit north of Copenhagen
    Posts
    1,262
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    459

    Re: FUN with Ricoh GR!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by woodmancy View Post
    A cheap experiment would be to get a GXR with M-Mount, if you don't have one already.

    The way I resisted all this hoopla about the A7 and Nikon retro was to go out and buy a used Sony a850. It works - haven't got it yet but I'm already excited. I get to see all my Minolta glass just the way it should look. And the A900/850 are partially "genuine" retro.

    Keith
    ha, ha Keith...new game...if I only had some usefull glasses like you, only some Nikkor (and M's), and then for my part I would have to buy these expensives 16-35 and 24-70 F-zooms, and that I can't afford (or in other Words would end up in the Df region including a 14 Samyang and a 35/1.4 Sigma...hhmm)
    thorkil

  39. #439
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    A bit north of Copenhagen
    Posts
    1,262
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    459

    Re: FUN with Ricoh GR!!!

    PS, but Keith, it looks like the A850/900 only do a clean job up til 1600 iso(?), and the A99 looks like being 1-2 stops behind the Df.
    But 1.600 would be far to slow for me, even though I could get one at a tempting Price and Minolta glasses seems to be in low prices too.
    thorkil

  40. #440
    Subscriber Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    3,025
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1117

    Re: FUN with Ricoh GR!!!

    Thorkil, yes the A850 isn't much good above iso 800, but my lightroom stats say I rarely go up there. But my "collector" side says that this is the last true DSLR from Sony and the viewfinder is awesome.
    But I also have a Leica Digilux 1 arriving soon and will get a kick out of trying to do something with just 4 MP. To me digital cameras are getting a bit like lenses, they all have distinct signatures. I think constraint from the camera itself extracts more out of the photographer.
    Doesn't alter the fact that either the GR or the GRiv are always with me when I'm out taking pictures. Hey that's a segue back to the GR

    Keith
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  41. #441
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Maggie O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Standards Are Down All Over
    Posts
    2,986
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: FUN with Ricoh GR!!!

    My Blog | Music | flickr
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  42. #442
    Senior Member kuujinbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Pacific Northwest U.S.
    Posts
    290
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    6

    Re: FUN with Ricoh GR!!!

    Thorkil, John, LouisB, and Keith,

    OT or not, thanks for the discussion about the new Sonys and Nikon. Surprised and a little disappointed that ISO 3200 is it - assumed the Sonys would be good to ISO 6400 like the RX1[R].
    "We're human, after all, and everybody's got something a little off somewhere." - Murakami Haruki, The fall of the Roman empire

  43. #443
    Senior Member JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    640
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: FUN with Ricoh GR!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    It's worse than that! I also have to decide between the RX1, GR, DP2M and DP3M. Owning four compacts is what comes of not having a camera system, especially now I have sold my Hasselblad (film) and most of my Panasonic m43ds gear.

    If I am going to work, then it is a no-brainer at present: the GR because it fits snugly into my pocket.

    If am going out photographing then I will take a combination of all cameras depending on how may I can fit into my small Crumpler camera bag. I can get the RX1, one of the Sigma's (often the DP3M) and since purchasing it recently I can normally slip the GR into the front pocket of the camera bag.

    The RX1 is my 100% dependable camera. If the lighting conditions are in any way in doubt, that is what I will use because up to 6400 you really do not even have to worry about what iso you select.

    If I am doing landscape then it is hard to choose between the RX1 and DP2M - both produce excellent results.

    I must say I am to some extent following John's advice which is to wait and see - the only thing I have against four compacts (well three, as the Sigma's have the same file format) is the processing chain. A single camera system makes that a lot easier.

    LouisB
    Wow! That would drive me crazy. I've always been a one system guy. Now with the GR I need another. But four.... Although you've got very good focal length coverage.

    How would you characterize the rendering of the DP3M vs. the GR? I ask because my normal kit is the GR and Nex 7 with a 75 equivalent.

    John

  44. #444
    Senior Member JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    640
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: FUN with Ricoh GR!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Maggie O View Post
    Hey, Maggie. I had to google that one. "Rehydrated cod soaked in lye and served the consistency of jello."

    My vegan sensibilities are running for the door.

    John
    web site | tumblr
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  45. #445
    Senior Member JohnW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    640
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: FUN with Ricoh GR!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by woodmancy View Post
    A cheap experiment would be to get a GXR with M-Mount, if you don't have one already.

    The way I resisted all this hoopla about the A7 and Nikon retro was to go out and buy a used Sony a850. It works - haven't got it yet but I'm already excited. I get to see all my Minolta glass just the way it should look. And the A900/850 are partially "genuine" retro.

    Keith
    The 850 is an interesting thought. I've got a bunch of Maxxum lenses that have not been used in years.

    John

  46. #446
    Senior Member biglouis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,940
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: FUN with Ricoh GR!!!

    'Twins' - panorama of 3 captures from the top of Primrose Hill in London. The same young boy chases himself around the sign.

    You may want to click through to a larger sized version to see the incredible detail pulled from the GR sensor. I can only find one mistake in the panorama, although I should have corrected the distortion on the left edge.

    Created with Autopano Pro.

    -----
    My new book "Whitechapel in 50 BUildings", Flikr Stream, www.louisberk.com
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

  47. #447
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    A bit north of Copenhagen
    Posts
    1,262
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    459

    Re: FUN with Ricoh GR!!!

    allow me to do a Little step back to Venice...
    no much talking..just a quiet gathering under the three





    thorkil
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

  48. #448
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    A bit north of Copenhagen
    Posts
    1,262
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    459

    Re: FUN with Ricoh GR!!!

    ..and a schoolboy just taking a break on his way home...




    thorkil
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

  49. #449
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    A bit north of Copenhagen
    Posts
    1,262
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    459

    Re: FUN with Ricoh GR!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by woodmancy View Post
    Thorkil, yes the A850 isn't much good above iso 800, but my lightroom stats say I rarely go up there. But my "collector" side says that this is the last true DSLR from Sony and the viewfinder is awesome.
    But I also have a Leica Digilux 1 arriving soon and will get a kick out of trying to do something with just 4 MP. To me digital cameras are getting a bit like lenses, they all have distinct signatures. I think constraint from the camera itself extracts more out of the photographer.
    Doesn't alter the fact that either the GR or the GRiv are always with me when I'm out taking pictures. Hey that's a segue back to the GR

    Keith
    Yes Keith, less can often be more!(and remembering Godfrey's Oly E-1 Pictures)
    But what did you do with your D600?, sended it back?, and if so, why?
    (I think I'm allowed to non-GR talk for a moment, buying me time with those GR-shots Upstairs )

  50. #450
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,173
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: FUN with Ricoh GR!!!

    repeat offenders

    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •