The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FUN with Ricoh GR!!!

I swopped my wife's GR2 for the GR so I could borrow it and use it for my 'event photojournalism' when I did not want to be lumbered with my more bulky Olympus EM5. Most of my 'photojournalism' takes place at a large social and sports club - a bit like a country club in the USA - where I cover events for the club magazine, website and archives.

I have had the camera about two weeks now and I have fitted the Clearviewer which I already swear by.

On Sunday I was invited to a christening. My wife and I said our present would be a silver photo frame with a print from the day - plus some pictures on the internet. The shots are here:-

Emma's Christening

I am not suggesting they are gems but the thought that went into the creation may be a bit of interest/help to fellow forum posters.

Firstly there were probably about half a dozen people there with relatively serious looking DSLRs. I guessed that they'd all take shots and put them on systems like Facebook. I also guessed that nobody would shoot black and white.

I massively overshoot and when I shoot pictures of people chatting I always use continuous or burst. On the Ricoh you only get four shots using RAW (oh I forgot to say I only use RAW on the camera) but one shot is always better than the others. It is so easy when a couple are chatting to get one person with a pleasant expression and one a bit ugly. Burst increases the chance that in one shot both will look pleasant.

I took pictures from unusual angles. If I am at a table with other people I'll put the camera on the table. I point it in different directions and hold down the shutter button. I have no idea what I am getting as I can probably not see the viewfinder - but there is usually the odd keeper or two there.

Other unusual angles come from holding the camera behind my hips and shooting. Or with my arms dropped to my side and shooting. There are probably two or three shots in this collection from that.

Finally I really whopped up the contrast. I use Qimage Ultimate to convert my RAWs. It does a lovely job but as it normally expects you want nice flat colour shots it produces particularly subtle black and whites. I must have gone through my folder of keepers almost half a dozen times boosting the contrast of a sequence. Each time it made the neighbours look flat and dull. You may think I have overblown the whole portfolio but I wanted to give a feel of 'journalism' to it.

All comments are keenly invited. You may hate what I have done. You may think that certain images could have been much better if I had done them in a different way. One is never too old to learn.

A final point. I have altered my web design to make the Prev and Next icons larger and lower in the screen in the hope it makes easier navigation on a tablet.

Tony

Thorkil

very nice Pictures Tony! and thanks for the carefull explaining too! It's very nice to hear the details on how people in praxis are shooting! And the GR seems very competent for such an event too.
thorkil

J

JohnW

Thanks for sharing these, Tony. A really nice set of what looks like a very happy occasion. The location is certainly well lit for daytime events. They don't look overly contrasty to me, but rather have an excellent range of tones.

GR RAW files are very flat but handle adjustment well. I'm especially pleased with their lighter tones, of which you have many fine examples. So good to see them in BW. I hope the parents can appreciate that.

John

Thanks John,

The parents have only saw them about an hour ago and are especially happy to have something a bit different.

With regard to the lighter tones I was always aware of the danger of blowing the baby's robe and had to pull back a few times. The blacks I almost always had to boost as, left to the automatic conversion they would have been grey. Qimage Ultimate has a histogram (don't they all) and I moved the left slider in to the peak almost every time.

Tony

J

JohnW

venice

thorkil
Looks like your Venice trip was very productive and rewarding. Isn't it great to go somewhere interesting and just photograph. Between the increasingly cold weather here and busy life, I've had few opportunities. I need a Venice-like jaunt, preferably someplace warm.

John

Thorkil

Looks like your Venice trip was very productive and rewarding. Isn't it great to go somewhere interesting and just photograph. Between the increasingly cold weather here and busy life, I've had few opportunities. I need a Venice-like jaunt, preferably someplace warm.

John
Hi John... I can't recommend anything better than Venice, even though it's a long distance from you, and its not even warm at Winter. But the mood there is Unique, and the town is just one of a kind, worlwide. You can spend a lifetime there trying to get under the skin, I would guess, just a matter of opening your mind, and all sorts of special details, shows up, all around you.
And the history of the town is rather special, and dramatic too.
Very special. Last time was only too short.
Thorkil