The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FUN with Ricoh GR!!!

kuujinbo

Thorkil, John, LouisB, and Keith,

OT or not, thanks for the discussion about the new Sonys and Nikon. Surprised and a little disappointed that ISO 3200 is it - assumed the Sonys would be good to ISO 6400 like the RX1[R].

J

JohnW

It's worse than that! I also have to decide between the RX1, GR, DP2M and DP3M. Owning four compacts is what comes of not having a camera system, especially now I have sold my Hasselblad (film) and most of my Panasonic m43ds gear.

If I am going to work, then it is a no-brainer at present: the GR because it fits snugly into my pocket.

If am going out photographing then I will take a combination of all cameras depending on how may I can fit into my small Crumpler camera bag. I can get the RX1, one of the Sigma's (often the DP3M) and since purchasing it recently I can normally slip the GR into the front pocket of the camera bag.

The RX1 is my 100% dependable camera. If the lighting conditions are in any way in doubt, that is what I will use because up to 6400 you really do not even have to worry about what iso you select.

If I am doing landscape then it is hard to choose between the RX1 and DP2M - both produce excellent results.

I must say I am to some extent following John's advice which is to wait and see - the only thing I have against four compacts (well three, as the Sigma's have the same file format) is the processing chain. A single camera system makes that a lot easier.

LouisB
Wow! That would drive me crazy. I've always been a one system guy. Now with the GR I need another. But four.... Although you've got very good focal length coverage.

How would you characterize the rendering of the DP3M vs. the GR? I ask because my normal kit is the GR and Nex 7 with a 75 equivalent.

John

J

JohnW

A cheap experiment would be to get a GXR with M-Mount, if you don't have one already.

The way I resisted all this hoopla about the A7 and Nikon retro was to go out and buy a used Sony a850. It works - haven't got it yet but I'm already excited. I get to see all my Minolta glass just the way it should look. And the A900/850 are partially "genuine" retro.

Keith
The 850 is an interesting thought. I've got a bunch of Maxxum lenses that have not been used in years.

John

biglouis

'Twins' - panorama of 3 captures from the top of Primrose Hill in London. The same young boy chases himself around the sign.

You may want to click through to a larger sized version to see the incredible detail pulled from the GR sensor. I can only find one mistake in the panorama, although I should have corrected the distortion on the left edge.

Created with Autopano Pro.

Thorkil

allow me to do a Little step back to Venice...
no much talking..just a quiet gathering under the three

thorkil

Thorkil

Thorkil, yes the A850 isn't much good above iso 800, but my lightroom stats say I rarely go up there. But my "collector" side says that this is the last true DSLR from Sony and the viewfinder is awesome.
But I also have a Leica Digilux 1 arriving soon and will get a kick out of trying to do something with just 4 MP. To me digital cameras are getting a bit like lenses, they all have distinct signatures. I think constraint from the camera itself extracts more out of the photographer.
Doesn't alter the fact that either the GR or the GRiv are always with me when I'm out taking pictures. Hey that's a segue back to the GR

Keith
Yes Keith, less can often be more!(and remembering Godfrey's Oly E-1 Pictures)
But what did you do with your D600?, sended it back?, and if so, why?
(I think I'm allowed to non-GR talk for a moment, buying me time with those GR-shots Upstairs :) )

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
. . . .
But what did you do with your D600?, sended it back?, and if so, why?
(I think I'm allowed to non-GR talk for a moment, buying me time with those GR-shots Upstairs :) )

I'm keeping the D600, Thorkil - I like it a lot. But, as you say, it is more "automatic" to get pictures from it. I have a few legacy lenses that I enjoy shooting on it. I believe the A850 will present a totally different experience and perhaps a greater challenge. I love the Minolta lenses and have used them a lot on my GXR. But I have only experienced them "full frame" with film.

Keith

Thorkil

nice Pictures John!, it looks like you have been setting it all up by yourself in a "we are all waiting for Godot"-manner :)
...and it inspires me to thinking that I actually ought to be more carefull when I'm trying to do Pictures, keeping steady etc., and I envy the grainy look a bit, can't get it in C1. I guess I'll have to download the Nik-parcel.
thorkil

Thorkil

I'm keeping the D600, Thorkil - I like it a lot. But, as you say, it is more "automatic" to get pictures from it. Keith
It's nice to hear that you still like it, Keith, and yes one just have to (just like too good red wine) be modest with this solid easy-shooting ability (and isn't right that matrix meetering is just wonderful spot on every time?).
Well, I'm just looking somewhat often at the Imaging Resource "Comparometer" ™ Digital Camera Image Comparison Page, you know, and there (this goes for John the most, perhaps) at 3.200 with the bootless etc. (double click) it's obvious that its the Df that keeps the High Fidelity compared to the A7(/r) (and the D610 too, sorry :) ), and the A7’s looks a bit harsh here, and the Df looks like having much more resources to turn up the contrast and sharpening without problems if thats the liking.
I think I’ll have to do some savings..(while iso is a must for me)
thorkil
(Ps. I've still got the GR sitting in my belt every time I leave the house)

J

JohnW

Thanks, thorkil. I'm trying to be more attentive to setting, and then waiting for things to come together.

Incidentally, a few thoughts on my A7 experience in this thread.

John

Maggie O

Hey, Maggie. I had to google that one. "Rehydrated cod soaked in lye and served the consistency of jello."

My vegan sensibilities are running for the door.

John
Swedes are wonderful, but I have to wonder what they were thinking with Lutefisk.