The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FUN with Ricoh GR!!!

biglouis

If Carlsberg did cameras... they'd probably do a Ricoh GR and it would be the best camera in the world...

Last edited:
J

JohnW

I don't know what all the smiles were about, but I took it as a GR moment.

John

J

JohnW

I think your comment on the focal is how I feel too. Also I do like and use the 35mm and 47mm crop modes. I printed a 47mm 5.6 MP to 13''x19'' and at low iso (so it has all the detail) it still looks pretty detailed, so not afraid to use that.

Apparently Ricoh submitted a lens patent for an F2.0 equivalent to 35mm... if this is next year's model with say a 24 MP sensor, then we should be able to have 35mm and a crop to 70mm at 6 MP... I would love that, and that would go a long way for me to not want at teleconverter as much (I really want a teleconverter).

- Ricardo
13 x 19 prints from 47mm and thorkil shooting at 6400. I need to open my mind to new possibilities.

John

raist3d

13 x 19 prints from 47mm and thorkil shooting at 6400. I need to open my mind to new possibilities.

John
Picture this- 5.6 MP crops are 2912 pixels wide x 1936 height . At 13'' by 19'' printing landscape that's:

2912 pixels/19'' ~= 153 dpi and 1936 / 13'' ~= 149 dpi. Older monitors had about 72 dpi, so that's twice that. Given just a modicum of distance, and the tones on a good photo printer, that's not so bad at all.

Just imagine when you were editing on a 72 dpi monitor 24 bit B&W/color... now you can see that at twice the dpi...

It looks pretty good actually but this will work with that level of detail in the low ISO's as high ISO's starts eating away detail through noise. Remember the GR has no AA filter, so these are pretty "sharp" pixels, particularly for B&W.

- Ricardo

Thorkil

...just some silly and (at least) the last Stockholm-highiso-hand-jpeg-moods

25.600 1/40 2.8

thorkil

Thorkil

no...forgot to turn on the DNG's after some small-who-cares-working-pictures for a report, for battery-saving..:lecture:
thorkil

J

JohnW

Sorry, thorkil, but these aren't really working for me. I've no problem with super high ISO and noise. But I think that treatment usually works best in images with simple, strong forms (think Moriyama), and not so well with more detailed images like you have here. Especially in the BW versions there doesn't seem to be much to carry the photos. Mind you, this is just my personal bias. Of course there's always the prospect of a 400,600 ISO D4s. :)

John