The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FUN with Ricoh GR!!!

G43

...though, the GR is very cheap :), a new world for almost nothing
thorkil
Yes Thorkil.. really got it cheap.
The GR has perhaps the richest tonality found from any camera today.

The purpose of mine is simply to leave it in the gear console in my car. It happened too often I passed a wonderful scene by car and didn't have any camera at hand :facesmack:
Furthermore the GC5 belt holster makes you ever ready in the street.

J

JohnW

thorkil
Yes, I can't think of any camera that offers more for the money.

It would be nice to hear how folks use their GRs. Whenever possible, for street shooting I use TAv, f8 and 200. I've got Fn1 set up for Snap Focus and Fn2 for Snap Focus distance. But I usually stick with 1.5m.

My AEL/AFL button is set to AE lock/hold. I meter off any middle gray area, press the button and leave it alone until the light changes. Then aim and press twice for the new lighting situation.

Pretty brainless shooting when light is sufficient.

If not, I switch to Av and auto ISO with spot AF and focus/recompose, if necessary. The one thing I don't like is the slow shutter speeds the GR selects. It seems to prefer 1/40. Not good for street shooting.

That about it for 90% of the time. How about you?

Last edited:

biglouis

thorkil
I still do not know how they can offer so much for so little. I was showing mine to a friend the other day and as he exclaimed, "it even has an electronic level!". The only thing they did not include with this camera was the kitchen sink.

Having said that I suppose if they asked serious money because it is such a small and unassuming camera the average punter would not buy it. But then I doubt if the average punter would want one. I believe the sensor, incidentally, is the same as in the new Leica T which is why I won't be buying one of them.

I honestly do not know how they will top this version of the camera unless they are able to (say) squeeze a full frame 24mpx sensor with no OLP into the next version.

BTW, in terms of setting I can't remember the last time I changed it from TAv, with aperture at f5.6 and speed at 1/125 (as in "f5.6, 1/125 and be there"). I invested in the GR optical viewfinder and mostly I use that to frame. I am confident I can pull back detail and remove noise up to iso6400 in LR and for that reason I honestly don't care what iso in street conditions the camera chooses. In fact, the missed opportunities or mistakes I have made have been when I have tried to use the camera in Av or Tv mode. With a 28mm equiv fov you have all the depth of field you need even at f5.6 for urban landscape which is my schtick.

From today:

G43

Thanks for sharing your settings...

It's hard to see which way the GR can be improved except for the extremely few quibbles it might have.
I have nothing against 24 MP none cropped sensor of course, but I've seen 24 MP RAWs out that isn't as tonal rich as the GR.
But perhaps Ricoh are forced to replace it due to obsolete electronic components?

I ordered my GR before it is too late.

BTW Louis, how did you process the lovely image?

G43

Every time a legend is to be replaced I become insane. That happened with the release of the DP Quattro and now again with the GR.
I just so much wish one manufacturer at least would make an as flawless camera as the GR trio with fixed focals a la DP Merrills. Throw the GR sensor and engine inside, I wouldn't mind, and give me IBIS and EVF and I'll hold my tounge for a very long time :)

J

JohnW

Still exploring the world in and around the train station. - John

Last edited:

Thorkil

splendid John!, specially the last, and the (welshaped) legs (free choise)....
well, I'm in general way too often too careless, just fire away, have the focus at Adj. as first and snapdistance at second choice, might try to use your setting. I ought to find a middle mindset between the half hour per shot with the Hassy SWC at tripod(history even though its just behind my back), Nikon as meter, - and the too careless mindset.
Also aim at 8 and 200 when walking about for street.
But way too often at MultiAF, while else I have to get my glasses on. But should go back to spot AF, it ought not being so hard to find the centre, even without glasses. I must try. Else at TAv setting too. But always at Multimetering, perhaps a bad habit from my Nikon area, where matrix metering always was spot, but perhaps should try your setting, thanks for inspiration.
thorkil

J

JohnW

thorkil, give the AE lock button a try. Set it for AE lock only and to remain locked until pressed again. Multi metering would be fine for that.

On the last shot, for example, I had the seated man's black clothes as foreground and sky as background. Neither good for automatic metering. So I quickly pointed at the sidewalk, pressed AE lock and that's that. I took about ten shots with various people walking by, and they all have identical and accurate exposure. That plus 1m snap focus and no thinking required. Just watching and waiting.

Michiel Schierbeek

Great shot! The passenger looks a bit annoyed but your neighbour did not even notice you? Were you sitting on the same bench? Must have a soft shutter! (sorry to interrupt)

J

JohnW

Great shot! The passenger looks a bit annoyed but your neighbour did not even notice you? Were you sitting on the same bench? Must have a soft shutter! (sorry to interrupt)
Hey, Michiel. Yes, I saw the seated fellow from a distance and was drawn to his all-black outfit. It seemed a little incongruous for a guy his age,, at least where I live. I was also thinking how nice the blacks would look in a GR file.

So I sat down next to him, maybe three feet away. I set the camera on my lap, locked AE, framed, and waited for something to enter the other side of the frame. Once I had the camera set, I didn't look at it again, but just kept watching the scene. I took a few shots and liked this one best. The other guy's expression is pure luck. The whole process took about one minute while waiting for the train. Pretty routine for how I use the GR.

In my experience nobody notices this camera if you're quick and don't fiddle with it. That what I love about snap focus and AE lock. Set and forget. In this case a flip screen would have been nice. I hope the next version offers that.

John

Thorkil

I'm becoming attached to the mood the normal B&W setting in Jpegs create in the camera...
Back to Venice....just across the shipyard in Fondamenta Nani, sneak in at Cantinone Gia' Schiavi, order a little glass of cold Fragolino di Bianco, a sweat delicious white wine...place your elbow at the desk...just let time pass by, and the Italian (mostly) passing in and out...

thorkil