The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FUN with Ricoh GR!!!

Wouter Brandsma

A wrong guess Thorkill, it is Utrecht with it's unique wharfs that you don't find along the Amsterdam canals. When I made the photograph I actually thought of Paris too.

Thorkil

:)....unfortunatly I have only been in Nederland's once when I was 19 (and that is some days ago..) and instead of walking streets and channels I was studying the original etchings of Rembrandt, and was by accident invited for Christmas too(Santa Claus)...yes it looks very special with these affairs/stocks by the channels, there is also somehow some old London "working-class"-quarter-mood in it ...
thorkil

Wouter Brandsma

:)....unfortunatly I have only been in Nederland's once when I was 19 (and that is some days ago..) and instead of walking streets and channels I was studying the original etchings of Rembrandt, and was by accident invited for Christmas too(Santa Claus)...yes it looks very special with these affairs/stocks by the channels, there is also somehow some old London "working-class"-quarter-mood in it ...
thorkil
Studying the Rembrandt's etchings? Wow, no matter how good a painter he was, I most certainly prefer his etchings.

Thorkil

Studying the Rembrandt's etchings? Wow, no matter how good a painter he was, I most certainly prefer his etchings.
Yes they are rather special, sort of more free. Sat down in a study-room at the Rijksmuseum a whole week. 10 tables I think, with a strickt lady sitting at her desk with front at me, and all his original etchings was brought to me at a rolling table.
I could take all the time I wanted
thorkil

J

JohnW

Very nice, Kevin. I know you'll love it. The BW output, in particular, is some of the best available. And the features and handling invite a wonderful spontaneiity. Look forward to your pictures.

John

segedi

Thanks John. I had a GXR at one point, but stepped up to the M240. Really impressed with the ricoh line and this GR is ticking all the boxes for a compact camera. Trying to get used to snap focus and remembering all the settings I programmed in! I have my1 setup for street with snap focus and f/8, my2 setup for the 47mm crop and my3 for 35mm. And I haven't noticed any degradation with the crop modes. It's my compact MATE!

J

JohnW

I could never remember my MY settings, so I don't use them anymore. I mostly use TAv and let ISO run. If the light allows I always use snap focus.

One feature I really enjoy is AE Lock/Hold. I set aperture and shutter using TAv, then point at a middle gray area and press AE Lock, which basically locks ISO. I then leave exposure alone until the light changes. Works great for street shooting.

People talk about the camera getting out of the way. No camera I've owned does that better than the GR.

John

Thanks John. I had a GXR at one point, but stepped up to the M240. Really impressed with the ricoh line and this GR is ticking all the boxes for a compact camera. Trying to get used to snap focus and remembering all the settings I programmed in! I have my1 setup for street with snap focus and f/8, my2 setup for the 47mm crop and my3 for 35mm. And I haven't noticed any degradation with the crop modes. It's my compact MATE!

Wouter Brandsma

One feature I really enjoy is AE Lock/Hold. I set aperture and shutter using TAv, then point at a middle gray area and press AE Lock, which basically locks ISO. I then leave exposure alone until the light changes. Works great for street shooting.

People talk about the camera getting out of the way. No camera I've owned does that better than the GR.

John
I personally dislike the TAv mode, because the ISO strangely goes up very high. I use my GR like I used my film GR1, only in aperture priority. And for photographing in the dark I set the ISO at 3200 maximum.

J

JohnW

Wouter, what I don't like about aperture priority on the GR is that it seems partial to shutter speed 40. Even when it has room to shoot faster, it still seems to prefer that speed. Not good for street shooting, where I like 250, if possible. TAv meets that need well. Of course, I'm not much of a low-light shooter.

John

Wouter Brandsma

In the winter I mostly use ISO 1600 at daytime that helps me to get relative fast shutter speeds. Besides that I really like the texture I get at ISO 1600, both in B&W and color.

Thorkil

John, just because I need the spelling: does this mean that it lock the exposures at all the following shots until you press the AE Lock once more? (apart from shutting the camera off course)
...if so..it might be worth trying it, and pull my pale body out from the couch and confront it with the wild natural light out there in the city-wilderness... :)
thorkil
ps. you use Silver Efex, right? and what for sharpening (apart from being rocksteady and 250 shutter) ?